Spider identification

mav

I was spraying around the perimeter of the house and around windows for creepy crawlies this evening.  As I started to spray around the garage doors, I noticed something move around my feet.  When I looked down, I saw this guy staring at me.

20141008_200523_zps54e71341.jpg

I think it was a wolf spider.  I see them from time to time around the house, but I have never seen one that big (the picture isn't really to scale).  I hated to kill it, but I would have absolutely freaked if it ever got in the house and got on me.

Edited by mav

Looks like a wolf spider to me too. They are good spiders to keep around, since their food supply is also your enemy, LOL. If there's any reason to NOT kill a wolf spider, this is it:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE1alBZ-qXI[/media]

My wife thinks all spiders are man-eating monsters sent to wipe out the human race.

I'm not a spider expert, but all the wolf spiders around here have "racing stripes" down their back and are furry.  That one looks like it has a slick back and no stripes down it's back

Me neither, but Orkin's website says there are 200 species of Wolf Spider in the Northern Hemisphere. So, I'm assuming they don't all have that look you described that is most familiar to us.

I am absolutely terrified of spiders but those get free passes (unless they get too close to me)! I actually had a fairly big one in the house a couple of years ago and decided to let him live. I only saw him run across the curtains a time or two and haven't seen him since.

I was spraying around the perimeter of the house and around windows for creepy crawlies this evening.  As I started to spray around the garage doors, I noticed something move around my feet.  When I looked down, I saw this guy staring at me.

20141008_200523_zps54e71341.jpg

I saw one like that one time in my backyard.  It was crawling across my shoulder. I ran into a tree and was out cold for about 5 minutes...... :stare:

• Like 4

I had a little black snake, looks like the same species, hanging out in my garage. He had no desire to leave. Coiled and shook his tail like a rattlesnake. I'm not scared of snakes, but still wasn't going to pick this one up. Slapped him out of the garage with a broom, and he still didn't retreat. So, we wound up doing battle all the way across the driveway.

When it comes to spiders, they are just gonna die when I see them. I try to leave wolf spiders alone, but it never works out that way.