.303 British

Guest Astra900

Is this one that was made in the 50's and sold as un-issued. Originally from the Royal Irish Constabulary?

I have a original BSA Shirley made No 5 jungle carbine. I like shooting mine. Anybody got a source on small parts? I need a screw and nut for the middle barrel band.

You're 50% spot on, unissued, made in the 50's, but not a part of the "Irish Contract." It's a UF series prefix, different contract.

http://www.ssporters.com is my source for all parts Enfield.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you use stripper clips? if so how does the scope/mount affect using them?

I've been considering one of these, but I just dont want to drill the reciver. & I use stripper clips.

Guest Astra900
do you use stripper clips? if so how does the scope/mount affect using them?

I've been considering one of these, but I just dont want to drill the reciver. & I use stripper clips.

There is NO drilling or modifying of any kind, but the charger guide is the main lock up point for the mount, so stripper clips are out of the ? .... Sorry.:hat:

I don't want to labeled as a trouble maker, especially on my first post, but I challenge most of these new fan-dangled cartridges to outperform the 100+ Year ol'e gal by any real measure. Well, as far as TN distances go.

Welcome. :lol:

Nothing wrong with the .303, but we have a good supply of 30-06 for our 03 Springfield’s. Plus our Garands use it. :D

Also nothing wrong with a cartridge being 100 years old; the .45ACP still holds the #1 spot.

Greek surplus is some of the best surplus brass I have ever worked with. Too bad I can't find any more. Headstamp HXP. Anyone know where I could find any? Live or fired, I don't care.

I have over a thousands rounds of it, and know where there is plenty more. Unfortunately for you though it is in the mighty 7.62 X 63. :D

Guest Astra900
I have over a thousands rounds of it, and know where there is plenty more. Unfortunately for you though it is in the mighty 7.62 X 63.

GGGRRRR:wall:

I guess I'll find some somewhere. Meanwhile, I'll make do with the 250 I have now.

i have an enfield that i love, my dad gave it to me for Christmas one year. it had been sporterized before he picked it up for me, and it was my first serious deer rifle. that gun shoots good...so good its almost boring to shoot. i'll try to get a pic up of it soon, but the "purists" may not like it as it has a wood monte carlo 2 piece sporter stock on it...

Guest Astra900
i have an enfield that i love, my dad gave it to me for Christmas one year. it had been sporterized before he picked it up for me, and it was my first serious deer rifle. that gun shoots good...so good its almost boring to shoot. i'll try to get a pic up of it soon, but the "purists" may not like it as it has a wood monte carlo 2 piece sporter stock on it...

I'm what you might call a liberal purist. If it can be set right by replacing the parts, no foul. It's just a stock, anyway. AND since it was a gift that had been modified before you got it, I think that gives you amnesty, I'll have to check the rule book on that one:D:D:D

JK!!! Seriously, I'd love to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nj.piney

the p-14 enfield and the p-17 enfield were made in 2 different calibers . one is 30-06 and the other is 303. when the 30-06 were sent to england during the war the 30-06 enfield had the handguard painted red to eliminate confusion . both rifles are identical in apearance .

Be careful with that Pakistani surplus; i have read stories of kB's with it (yah, i know, internet stories, so take it fwiw).

my 303 loads are derived thusly:

-i bought a bunch of 308 milsurp tracer bullets from HiTech Ammo

-pull the HP bullets from a buddy's 7.62x39 and load them into my 303

-load the tracers into the empty x39 cases(.311 v 308 dia really doesnt matter in an SKS), and give them to my buddy to shoot in his SKS

i get inexpensive 303s and he gets inexpensive SKS tracers.

• 1 year later...
Guest HexHead

Holy thread resurrection!

Here's a pic from my No.4 Mk.1 (not Mk.1*) It's a really early Savage.

DSC_0027-2.jpg

Has the US Ordinance Bomb and the British Broad Arrow. SN in the 40k range. Has a round Springfield style cocking handle. I also have a Savage stamped spike bayonet for it. :drama:

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I like the 0.303 round but it's no longer cheap to shoot. Good 0.303 British surplus dried up long ago, and the Pakistan stuff that is left is awful.

If 0.303 British was cheap to shoot again with readily available quality surplus ammunition my Enfields would see much more range time, and I would seriously consider buying a transferable Vickers.

DP = Drill Purpose.

That great big hole just forward of the receiver indicates that it was drilled at one time, probably to demil the rifle. Is there a hole there going all the way into the barrel? The barrel may have been replaced to turn it back into a shooter.

Do you know if it was ever fired? You definitely need to find a competant Enfield smith to look at it.

You might also contact Century Arms International as they where the importer (CAI ST.A VT). Maybe they have some info on it.

Edited by Garufa