which revolver for concealed carry

terry274

considering a taurus already,  and talking about reduced recoil .... 

consider the 22 magnum which has more shots in less space as an alternative.  7 rounds of 22 mag vs 5 rounds of 38...  there are merits to both ideas... 

LCR just came out with a 9mm version.  That might save aggravation on ammo.  I assume you can fire 380s from it if you really want to cut down recoil; from hearsay the thing uses clips instead of a headspaced cylinder. 

What to know about little revolvers.... the smaller it is, the harder to pull the trigger it usually is.   And the less weight, the more recoil.  I really dislike the light framed poly or ultralight metal framed guns in a small frame with a big boomer.  Even good 38s have a hefty recoil in those little beasts, and it makes practice not fun, which means many ppl won't practice enough with them.   I would think about getting an older heavy one if you dislike recoil, and just get a bigger belt when you carry it. 

I have owned multiple taurus, smith, and ruger revolvers and all 3 are well made.  The taurus is a cheaper brand, a little rougher, but the one issue I had (manufacturing defect) was resolved easily and rapidly, very professional.  I personally feel taurus gets a bad name due to a very, very rocky startup when they first came into the market coupled with being foreign made and inexpensive.  I feel they now make a soild product for their price point --- you can do better, but they work, and I would not hesitate to buy another, but I would rather have an antique smith. 

Personally I would never get a pure 38.  Get a 357 and shoot it with 38s and you have a better built gun capable of handling a wide variety of ammo.  Handloading opens up all kinds of mischief due to the huge variety of projectiles in this diameter -- you can easily go from 90 or so grains to at least 180,  in all sorts of shapes.  

• 3 weeks later...

I found that a set of Crimson Trace 405 grips went a long way to reducing felt recoil. That soft rubber and pocket along the blackstrap mitigates a great deal. Sticking with a standard pressure load like a Buffalo Bore for EDC will reduce muzzle flip, getting back on target faster.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110

P1010012.jpg

CT 405 and 305

Edited by DAdams