Can I shoot in Wilson county?

I've probably fired more rounds in Wilson county than anywhere else.  Being out of the city limits is the first step but there are a lot places outside of city limits that still are not okay to shoot at.  Just use your common sense.  #1 question should be is it safe.  As long as it's a safe location ask yourself if you are disturbing anyone.  Maybe feel out the neighbors if you have any.  I've lived in places where I've had people close to where I was shooting and it was never a problem.  I just limited myself to shooting in the middle of the day when people were not home and kept my sessions short.  Sometimes this method works really well because neighbors can not get upset about what they don't know about.

Yeah I plan to go introduce myself and let them know I like to shoot so not to panic if they hear it. Also only during normal hours unless it's a .22 at a pest or something. Just wanting to make sure it was technically legal. As you said though as long as the neighbors don't mind or get aggravated I doubt it will ever be an issue.

I'm in Lebanon outside city limits. Researched the laws before I purchased the land, then spoke with the county sheriff about the laws to confirm. He told me to enjoy myself and stay safe, wrote down his name and badge number for future reference just in case. Only once in 10 years did someone drive up to my house to complain. I live a pretty good distance from the road and other homes, but I was shooting a 500 S&W Magnum and he was upset that the noise was shaking his windows across the valley. It was a Sunday and still daylight at only 6pm, so I told him that yes it was me shooting, and yes I would continue to shoot, and yes it was safe and legal, and yes I had already spoken with the sheriff. He said that he and his wife lived nearby and they didn't like shooting or guns at all, so I told them they might want to learn about them and try it out so they can get to like it, or if not then they should move. 2 months later they did move and were replaced by a retired veteran that told me he enjoys shooting as well. Never any issues since then.

Yeah I have a feeling one neighbor won't mind at all (looks like lots of cool toys in his massive garage). The other I'll have to check with but like you said it's not illegal. I just want to be polite about it.

Well technically shooting outside city limits on your own property in Wilson county is legal, but you can easily run afoul of the law for noise violations, disturbing the peace, unsafe conditions, and even some environmental laws regarding lead. The noise part is the most risky because it doesn't take many decibels to break the legal threshold, so you need a large enough property that is far enough away from other people that the noise is not deemed to be a reasonable nuisance. That is one reason why I purchased 23 acres in a farming region, and why I told the anti-gun neighbor from across the valley to go pound sand. But I still avoid shooting late at night, and I try to keep my sessions under a few hours, out of respect for my neighbors who probably don't want to feel like they live next to a front line fire base in Vietnam. Edited by wileecoyote
  • Like 1

It's legal, but you are a good man for trying to be considerate of your neighbors. Life isn't fun living near pizzed off neighbors. Likely, they'll be considerate of you in return.

Probably your biggest concern will be ricochet, since Wilson county is one solid rock. :rofl:

• Like 1

It's legal, but you are a good man for trying to be considerate of your neighbors. Life isn't fun living near pizzed off neighbors. Likely, they'll be considerate of you in return.

Probably your biggest concern will be ricochet, since Wilson county is one solid rock. :rofl:

Yes. I have a few MASSIVE rock just level with the top of the ground on the back half of the property. Luckily nothing I'll have to cut around. That will be where I put the goats, mini donkeys, etc. that we will probably get. They'll make short order of the over growth.

Yes. I have a few MASSIVE rock just level with the top of the ground on the back half of the property. Luckily nothing I'll have to cut around. That will be where I put the goats, mini donkeys, etc. that we will probably get. They'll make short order of the over growth.

No......you have A rock. It runs from south of Murfreesboro, north to the Trousdale county line.

• Like 1