Bud's Discount Guns, Lexington, KY

lshel

Has anypne ordered a handgun from Bud's since they opened a store in TN? Are they charging taxes on TN sales from their website?Thinking about ordering a Ruger 22/45 but if taxes are included, it maybe cheaper buying elsewhere or LGS. Thanks

Has anypne ordered a handgun from Bud's since they opened a store in TN? Are they charging taxes on TN sales from their website?Thinking about ordering a Ruger 22/45 but if taxes are included, it maybe cheaper buying elsewhere or LGS. Thanks

They still do not charge TN sales tax. Separate legal entities that at least so far haven't been forced to charge it online.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have a gun on layaway with them now, no sales tax and no shipping charges.  The store in Sevierville is riding the coat tails.  Good store though! 

Actually, I wonder if the majority of folks who wind up at the brick and mortar even know about the online entity?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I don't understand what that means.

My comment in the other thread is simply that if you purchase a gun from budsgunstore.com, there is no sales tax, even if you have it sent to the Buds brick and mortar in Sevierville for transfer. But seems you got different statement from some employee from the Kentucky location?

- OS

The store in Sevierville is a seperate entity from the .com store, so the store riding the success of the of the buds.com via a franchise.  Otherwise its just another lgs with a very nice shooting range.  

I did get a different statement from the phone salesperson, and I wasn't interested, just wanted to know their stance at the time, since "we" were not certain of the sales tax at the time, ~late August time frame. 

The store in Sevierville is a seperate entity from the .com store, so the store riding the success of the of the buds.com via a franchise.  Otherwise its just another lgs with a very nice shooting range.  

I did get a different statement from the phone salesperson, and I wasn't interested, just wanted to know their stance at the time, since "we" were not certain of the sales tax at the time, ~late August time frame. 

I gotcha, sorry had edited above post, thought I was in the other thread actually. :)

But I still wonder just how many folks that wind up in the tourist mecca of the Sevierville store are even aware of Bud's online rep. Or even if they are, would think that being in that location, would get about same amount of traffic regardless of affiliation?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

But I still wonder just how many folks that wind up in the tourist mecca of the Sevierville store are even aware of Bud's online rep.

- OS

I really have thought long and hard why Buds opened a shop in that area, because the likely consumer that knows about Buds.com, is already a serious gun nut, and won't bite on the storefront guns due to the sales tax thing.  Tourists passing through Sevierville or coming out the SMKW store, likely will stumbled upon the gun store because of the word "guns" in the name, not necessarily "Buds".   Unless Buds is trying to become a destination spot which I think they are too small for that, I don't really understand their business decision to locate in that location and to have a super nice indoor range, unless this is a beta test store.  Sevierville locals and that side of Knoxville is not well known for having large populations of large disposable income (I am from Sevierville, I know).  It would have made better sense for Buds to have located next to Gander Mountain or somewhere similar to take advantage of the large disposable income in that area.  Since likely the bread and butter of Buds will be that nice shooting range, they would surely have more participation from West Knoxvillians vs. Kodak citizens.  Separately, I did read somewhere maybe in the SMKW product catalog that the owner of SMKW and the owner of Buds were best of buds (no pun intended) for a long time.  This is likely the real reason, since both stores are in close proximity of each other.

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

I really have thought long and hard why Buds opened a shop in that area, because the likely consumer that knows about Buds.com, is already a serious gun nut, and won't bite on the storefront guns due to the sales tax thing.  Tourists passing through Sevierville or coming out the SMKW store, likely will stumbled upon the gun store because of the word "guns" in the name, not necessarily "Buds".   Unless Buds is trying to become a destination spot which I think they are too small for that, I don't really understand their business decision to locate in that location and to have a super nice indoor range, unless this is a beta test store.  Sevierville locals and that side of Knoxville is not well known for having large populations of large disposable income (I am from Sevierville, I know).  It would have made better sense for Buds to have located next to Gander Mountain or somewhere similar to take advantage of the large disposable income in that area.  Since likely the bread and butter of Buds will be that nice shooting range, they would surely have more participation from West Knoxvillians vs. Kodak citizens.  Separately, I did read somewhere maybe in the SMKW product catalog that the owner of SMKW and the owner of Buds were best of buds (no pun intended) for a long time.  This is likely the real reason, since both stores are in close proximity of each other.

That may have something to do with the choice of location. I've known for years that Bud's store in Lexington was the only retail location outside of SMKW that actually had a SMKW knife display. Locationg next door & having a good business relationship would make sense.

Edited by luvmyberetta
Bud's is pretty common knowledge, just like J&G Sales and others. I'd think that an instate gun store purchase at a brick and mortar store is going to involve sales tax. If the TN store does in state transactions with TN residents then sales tax is going to take place. Otherwise you can look forward to a news story on the matter. As to the location of the new store, particularly with a firing range involved I see it as profitable. Someone did their homework on that location.

Bud's is pretty common knowledge, just like J&G Sales and others. I'd think that an instate gun store purchase at a brick and mortar store is going to involve sales tax. If the TN store does in state transactions with TN residents then sales tax is going to take place. ...

Of course the Sevierville store charges sales tax to anyone who buys there, TN resident or not. But Budsgunshop.com still does not charge TN residents sales tax.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You have Bass Pro.....a couple miles up the road.......Knife works a hundred yards away.......and avarage of 10 million a year tourists coming through here.... plus locals....and a high tech range.....I think they'll do quite well here.....

• Like 1

You have Bass Pro.....a couple miles up the road.......Knife works a hundred yards away.......and avarage of 10 million a year tourists coming through here.... plus locals....and a high tech range.....I think they'll do quite well here.....

Tapping 10 Million Tourists is apart of the visionary business model?  Seriously?  Let me see, Husband, wife and kids in Ohio are planning a family vacation to Dollywood and the Smokies.  Family makes the hotel reservations (check), pack the luggage (check), and oh almost forgot pack a hoard of pistols, and bring the AR with the new scope, don't forget the ear protection and eye protection, we plan to spend a day at Buds in Sevierville to go shooting in the nice shooting range.  Oh forget bringing any big money to buy a pistol, we are from Ohio, can't buy a pistol, that is against the Federal Law.   I don't think so.  Yes, Buds may get some foot traffic, so would a pawn shop with the word guns in neon across the street from SMKW, I am just saying what a waste of the actual business placement if the main revenue stream or a major revenue stream is that nice indoor range, it should have been placed in close proximity, i.e. <15 min, of several thousand disposable income residents, not a few hundred disposable income residents.  How many people are willing to travel hours and hours repeatedly to shoot in that range?  By the way Bass Pro sells more than just guns, and SMKW doesn't have to fill out a 4473 on most everything they sell.  Apples and oranges. 

the likely consumer that knows about Buds.com, is already a serious gun nut, and won't bite on the storefront guns due to the sales tax thing.

I don’t think charging sales tax will be an issue; every gun store in the state does it. Every gun I have ordered from buds was because either my local dealers didn’t have it or they had it priced crazy. Transfer fees vs. sales tax won’t be a big enough difference to matter.

Pricing and availability will be the key. Maybe I’m wrong but from what others have said that try to buy from them, they want to use the “Buds” name but when it comes to pricing they don’t have Buds pricing. But I haven’t been there so I’m just going by what I see posted.
Runco I've not been to the range in question but have to wonder doesn't it have rental firearms for its patrons? Also, don't forget rifles, SG's and accessories sales aren't limited by state lines. The other thing to factor in insofar as HG sales are concerned think 50, 100 to 150 Mile radius of customers willing to travel for a range, sale or deal.
I hope bud's online and in state continues to do well. Until the state of TN decides bud's is NOT two separate entities, my guess is TN Internet shoppers will enjoy low price and no tax. For those who like to buy in person, they will pay "extra" for the expense of brick and mortar, employee expense and sales tax...
Guest TheSilverFox
What's the price to shoot at the range? What's the real reason Buds and SMKW are having words? Is it true the guy over Buds in Sevierville backdoored the SMKW guys? Who really wants to shoot a high power rifle at 25 yards?

What's the price to shoot at the range? What's the real reason Buds and SMKW are having words? Is it true the guy over Buds in Sevierville backdoored the SMKW guys? Who really wants to shoot a high power rifle at 25 yards?

Here's a link to Bud's Sevierville's website. Just click on the shooting range tab for rates & what's available. Looks like $20 per hour for the range & about $1 per minute for the training simulator. http://www.budsgunshoptn.com/shooting-range/

Guest TheSilverFox
Dang it... $20 an hour. That's steep.

The range I go to is a 25 yard indoor range that's $15 a day. They have some rentals but i would imagine Buds has more. I know you get to exchange guns and they sell ammo in a 10 pack. 2nd person on same lane is $5 extra. It's only a couple miles from Buds near Bass Pro Shop... only pistol and shotgun though. I haven't shot there since they added a new air system but it does have heat and air. I can't see $20 an hour. If you have several guns and don't want to rush, that would add up quick.
No need to pack the gear for Buds. They have everything one needs to shoot plus the rental guns. I suspect that gun sales can be shipped to a FFL in the home state which is very easily looked up. For something to do in the area, especially if it is a bad weather day.....would expect them to do betterthere than a saturated West Knoxville market.