Bow or Crossbow?

Edit: Found Kahrmans post asking essentially the same thing I ask below.  I usually do a search, sorry about that.

So I haven't been hunting with a bow in quite a while.  I still have my Browning Backdraft split limb, but it is 14 years old.  I actually took it to The Archers Den last year before season to have them check it out and make sure the strings were ok and everything checked out fine, but I didn't end up hunting.  I am thinking again now of getting a back out with a bow.

So, as is my usual persuasion, when I decide to do something like this that I haven't done in a long time and I know my equipment is older, I start to look into getting an updated bow.  I have also looked at a few crossbows and can't really decide if I was to do something, which makes the most sense.  A crossbow to me seems like it would be much less challenging and it seems to me part of the fun of bow hunting is the bigger challenge.  But, having not ever shot one, I don't know if that is actually true.

For those of you big (or even not so big) into bow hunting, what is your opinion.  Even though my bow is old, it will probably still get the job done, but I will probably buy something one way or the other.  Which would you recommend and why?

I figure I would spend around $600 for either, so any good recommendations in that price range?  Or should I just use my Browning and not worry about it?  I actually have a good hunting area now and just bought a new ladder stand so now just to do some practicing and get back our there in a week or so.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Hozzie

I don't harbor any ill-will against people who use Crossbows when they are legal.

BUT
I was behind some one the other day in line that was buying one.

Salesman was showing him the lighted scope etc....

I don't think they should be legal except with a medical/disabled exemption like many states did in the past.

It's a rifle that shoots short arrows.

But then again...I am hunting with a Longbow :)

• Like 2

I tend to agree with you.  I got my old bow out and shot it for the first time in a long time.  First shot at 20 yards was right on even after all of this time.  I think I am just going to use it and enjoy being in the woods.  After I looked up the specs, with its 70lb pull, the arrow speed is still pretty fast overall.  I am sure it will kill anything I can hit with it.

I'm not sure any one of us can give you a direct answer to your question because it's essentially a matter of personal preference. However, we might be able to help with the decision making process.

To New Bow or not to New Bow:
Probably the best decision to make would be to keep your bow. It's safe, functional and would save you money while you try to decide if you'll stick with bow hunting or not. Don't let marketing and IBO speeds convince you a new bow is the only option. That's how they make their money. :-)
I'd like to say that would be the decision I would make, but I'm a gear nerd and sorta hate having obsolete equipment...even at the risk of buying up-to-date equipment...only to not use it until it becomes obsolete years later and then having to start the same decision making process all over when I decide to try and get back into using said equipment. LOL

If you decide to get a new bow:
There is plenty of online articles about "budget bows" or "bows under $500". In fact, I shoot a Bear Legion which ranked highly in the budget bow reviews at the time it was made...2012 I believe.
You can also check Craigslist, lots of bows go for sale there and would save you some money.

So, To Crossbow or not to Crossbow:
I'd ask you this: What are your goals? And Is your body in decent enough shape?

Goals:
Me personally, I am not much of a "meat hunter" and I am also a bit of a purist (not to the point of using a recurve though, haha). I enjoy the art and skill required in using a compound bow. It is challenging and I like that. As for now, my body is holding up well enough to climb trees, remain stable, and build up my bow muscles. If/when things ache too much or I'm not safe, I will switch to crossbow. That's just me though. YMMV

A crossbow takes a lot of the practice and guesswork out of using a normal bow. You can shoot further and will be more accurate resulting in better kills with less of the risk of wounding an animal. It's legal in TN and hey, it's easy! We all like easy right? If my goal was to get meat in the freezer, no doubt this would be the way I would go.

So it just comes down to what you want to do. Clear as mud? Haha

I didn't reply the other day since the question was redacted, but...

2 years ago I was in this same position. Had a decent compound bow but it needed upgrading. I said I would never hunt with a crossbow, seemed too simple and that it would take away the challenge.

I had never shot a crossbow at that time, happened to visit my parents and dad had just got a crossbow so we started shooting. That thing was FUN and I shot for a couple hours.

When I got home, I decided to buy a crossbow to shoot because I enjoyed it so much. Then I decided why not sell the compound and hunt with the crossbow?

I finally took a deer (two so far) this year with it and let me say in some regards it is simpler than a compound, but the challenge still exists.

I passed on deer two mornings because they would not come closer than 45 yards, and I set a limit of 40 yards (the same as my old compound). I have a red dot, much easier to see than a fiber optic pin through a peep sight but still requires steady aim to launch an arrow accurately. With a compound, I have managed two shots at a deer before - that will not happen (for me at least) with this crossbow because it is so much louder and harder to reload, cocking it on a tiny tree stand platform (especially one with a shooting rail in the way) is not simple or quick.

If you haven't shot a crossbow yet, go to an archery shot and handle a couple and shoot one. They are just plain fun IMO. 

Brand wise, I have a Horton (bought out by 10 Point now) but Barnett has some nice crossbows at a good price.

I'm a gear nerd and sorta hate having obsolete equipment...even at the risk of buying up-to-date equipment...only to not use it until it becomes obsolete years later and then having to start the same decision making process all over when I decide to try and get back into using said equipment. LOL

This is me to a T and hence partially my question.  I think I have decided not to go the crossbow route, but I will probably start to look for a new bow.  I am sure mine will do just fine so who knows, maybe I will have an epiphany and realize it would just be a waste of money.

For those of you big (or even not so big) into bow hunting, what is your opinion.  Even though my bow is old, it will probably still get the job done, but I will probably buy something one way or the other.  Which would you recommend and why?

I figure I would spend around $600 for either, so any good recommendations in that price range?  Or should I just use my Browning and not worry about it?  I actually have a good hunting area now and just bought a new ladder stand so now just to do some practicing and get back our there in a week or so.

Thanks for any input.

I'm not a big bow hunter, but I do enjoy shooting mine when I can. I moved from a Fred Bear 45# Recurve to a Fred Bear instinct a couple years back. I've shot a few other compounds, and the instinct was great. Silent, low vibration, comfortable grip with good balance.

Plus, camo. Love some camo. Camo makes everything 100% cooler.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't buy a brand new bow, use yours till you find a gear junkie that's offloading last year's (or the year before's) super tech, inspect it closely, and then set it up for you. I bought mine at about 5 years old, barely used. Put a new string on it (cables are still fine) and replaced the sight (I like a single pin vs multi). For under $250 bucks, I had a great setup, with release, case, armguard, 18 carbon express arrows in perfect condition, field tips on 12 of them + a set of bloodrunner 2 blade broadheads.

There are some great deals to be had out there, especially with people offloading their old kit now that they've bought "the newest best whatever" for this year's bow season.

I wanted a new bow so bad I couldn't stand it this spring. My bow is probably 30 years old and no where near as cool as the new ones. So, I shopped all over and decided on the features I had to have, like string stops and peep sights with tubing, and the newest cams, and all. Then I walked into the archery shop where I get my bow worked on and he more or less talked me out of it.

My conclusion based on his advice and some soul-search: my bow is pretty (albeit not as cool), I know how it shoots, it's damn accurate, and 50 more fps won't make me a better shooter. I still want a new one, but I'm glad I put it off a little longer.
  • Like 1

I started out about 7 years ago with an old Ben Pearson.  I bought a set of Aluminum arrows for it, veined the Muzzies in to the arrows and went hunting.  My second hunt neeted me a nice doe.  A few years later I had the chance to use a buddies crossbow, later I bought it.  It is a Horton HD 150.  Bought a set of Carbons with Luminoks and hunted. 

I am not a trophy hunter.  I am a meat hunter.  With that said, I see very little diference in the outcome as both allow me to hunt more and both allow me to bring home meat. 

When my Ben Pearson was stolen from a friend, I thought about replacing it as I love to shoot the bow but I have not.  I enjoy the outdoors and I appriciate the cheat by having my "bow" always drawn and ready for the shot. 

This same argument can be had about traditional vs inline mussle loaders or slugs vs buckshot.  I can't fault a traditionalist or a purest but my take is I love the woods, love hunting and love to eat.  If it allows me to do those things, I say thank you and head to the woods.   

Ben

I started out about 7 years ago with an old Ben Pearson.  I bought a set of Aluminum arrows for it, veined the Muzzies in to the arrows and went hunting.  My second hunt neeted me a nice doe.  A few years later I had the chance to use a buddies crossbow, later I bought it.  It is a Horton HD 150.  Bought a set of Carbons with Luminoks and hunted. 

I am not a trophy hunter.  I am a meat hunter.  With that said, I see very little diference in the outcome as both allow me to hunt more and both allow me to bring home meat. 

When my Ben Pearson was stolen from a friend, I thought about replacing it as I love to shoot the bow but I have not.  I enjoy the outdoors and I appriciate the cheat by having my "bow" always drawn and ready for the shot. 

This same argument can be had about traditional vs inline mussle loaders or slugs vs buckshot.  I can't fault a traditionalist or a purest but my take is I love the woods, love hunting and love to eat.  If it allows me to do those things, I say thank you and head to the woods.   

Ben

That's pretty much my stance, I started bow hunting to extend my hunting time because being in the military you don't always have the luxury of being home during the short rifle season.  Same reason I got a BP rifle, more hunting time.  I too got a crossbow, but this is because every once in awhile my shoulder gives me issues and I can't draw my bow all to well.  On my small parcel (8 acres) there are a couple places to hunt, one a good place for a bow or rifle, another that a crossbow is almost required due to the neighbors house being in the line of fire and the branches being too tight for a full draw;  Due to the terrain its hard to clear a good path there so I stick to using a crossbow. 

I have a 2 year old Horton I plan to try and sell this spring and upgrade to a slightly faster model.

As noted resell value is not the same as with firearms but a bow will last for a couple of decades, just change the cables/strings and keep an eye out for limb stress.