Lil help from west TN members

Deerbnb

I am happily residing and working in middle TN. I have been approached by my company to possibly relocate to west TN. My experiences in the Memphis area have been less than heartwarming (no offense to any locals). My wife and I are mulling over the idea of the possibility of a move. What area would a outdoor loving, hunter gatherer type family begin their search for a country home within about 45 minutes of the Wolfchase area of Memphis? Any definite no no's? I certainly want to stay on the east side of the city, we will most likely be traveling back to middle TN on a semi regular basis. I begin my search for advice here where I am but a anonymous handle to all but a few. Not the time to be discussing openly among co workers etc.
Oakland/Somerville are about that distance from Wolfchase east on Hwy 64. You could find a nice house with a small parcel or possibly more land depending on the property size you would desire....Arlington or Eads might also be an option. I will say depending on your commute from these areas into Memphis, you might add an additional 30-45 mins travel time. Several areas of the city are seeing major construction projects along the major arteries. Those that are not under construction are bearing the burden of extra traffic redirecting...
  • Like 1
I live in the Eads area just across the Shelby County line in Fayette County. Property taxes are significantly lower here than in Shelby County. If you don't have kids in school or plan on going with private school, I highly recommend this area. You could also look at Piperton or anywhere between Eads and Piperton, but Eads is very close to I-40, which makes it quick to get to the Wolfchase area, and quicker getting on the road to Middle TN. If you need public schools, then you should really consider Arlington. You'll pay more in property tax, but they have a very good school system. Arlington is also very close to the Memphis Sport Shooting Association, which is the only outdoor private gun range in the area. I'm a member there, and it takes me 15-20 minutes to get there from my house in Eads, which is southeast of Arlington.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN
  • Like 1

Bartlett here which is a 10 min drive down Stage Rd to Wolf Chase. If I had to do all over again I'd say Fayette County also. Stay away from Shelby County

unless you like high taxes. Memphis itself sucks. A ten minute drive from Wolf Chase gets you to MSSA (Memphis Sport Shooting Association) which is a fine

Shooting CLub. Dues are not bad but the initiation is a bit high. 

If you don't have kids in school or plan on going with private school, I highly recommend this area.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I do have friends in Jackson, and they said the same thing about the school system and both families put their children in private school. They said that it is rather affordable, and that the area has a very high per capita of private schools.

Is it that bad in West Tennessee? 

Will you be working in the Wolfchase area? Or are you just looking to live near there? I live in Bartlett and work in south Memphis and my commute is 30-45 minutes on average with traffic. I'm looking out east towards Somerville/Fayette county and north up i40 for land currently. It'll push my commute out to over an hour each way, but... You cannot hunt or shoot in most of the incorporated parts Shelby county - which is most of Shelby county.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Fayette County has one public High School. It is quite far from the Wolfchase area and does not have a great reputation. Shelby County schools is in a state of flux. They used to be highly regarded and some still are, but Memphis City Schools abolished their charter and forced Shelby County to take over the schools. Unfortunately, that was just a back door way for Memphis to take over Shelby County Schools after new school board elections were held. Now, most of the suburb cities have opted to start their own school systems and take over most of the former Shelby County schools that are within their city limits, so those schools will likely continue to be good schools. As for the public schools in unincorporated Shelby County and within Memphis city limits, there are some very highly regarded magnet schools, but they are hard to get into...the rest are a crapshoot from some of the worst in the state to some that are not too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN
Last kid will soon be out of school, therefore no school needs issue. I will be traveling and working from home much of the time but corporate office is near Wolfchase/Fletcher creek area. Would prefer some acreage(around 25) but be reasonably close to to some form of shopping etc and under an hour to the office area.
Honestly, if you're wanting land, and will be working mostly from home and occasionally out of the wolfchase area, I'd look north along i40. Brownsville is just under an hour, and you'll get a lot more for your money out that way.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, 25 acres will probably not be very affordable in Fayette County.  I would look in Tipton, Lauderdale, Haywood, or Hardeman Counties.  Lauderdale and Hardeman will be pushing the 1 hour requirement, but some of Tipton and SW Haywood should be doable. 

If you don't venture too far west past the Wolfchase area, Memphis won't be much of an issue for a Middle-TNer.  As stated above, MSSA is a fine shooting complex and is worth the initiation fee (unless you have 25 acres). 

• Like 3