Building a survival Vehicle

I believe in redundancy. My vehicle would have an ATV in the back in case to main truck broke down.

That's what I was thinking. 

A herd of Honda Trail 70's, ATVs, Utility Vehicles (ex Polaris Ranger et al), bicycles, etc.

A 4x4 truck doesn't split lanes very well, nor cross ditches, washouts, & downed trees, abandoned vehicles & other road-blocks. 

I lived on a mission compound in the interior of Belize for a year (~40 miles below Dangriga / Monkey Creek).  There were days where the only useful vehicle was our D-7 Super Cat.  And we had to walk to get to it.

• Like 1

If I had unlimited funds (rather than severely limited funds) I would have a Unimog set up as a camper.  For those who are unfamiliar with the Mercedes Unimog and its capabilities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INxkz6UcNoE

I have seen them with a camper built on the back, before.

• Like 1

If I had unlimited funds (rather than severely limited funds) I would have a Unimog set up as a camper.  For those who are unfamiliar with the Mercedes Unimog and its capabilities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INxkz6UcNoE

I have seen them with a camper built on the back, before.

that's a good choice, here's one at a decent price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-Other-Unimog-U1300L-PTO-1982-Model-Year-Mercedes-Benz-Unimog-U1300L-PTO-Great-Condtion-/231365017259?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35de6dfeab&item=231365017259&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
I like these two
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=8508348&convertTo=USD

In TWD episode when we learned of SGT. Abraharm, Eugene and Rostia, they showed up in a 5-ton cargo truck.  As for vehicles, I would avoid military vehicles, they are rugged, but I have deployed to Iraq (1991, 2013, 2010), military vehicles require a lot of maintenance.  Hummers break down very often. 

Going back to the 5-ton cargo, it could be an anti-walker vehicle.  Since it has power and is high off the ground.  Bed is high off the ground for wallkers not simply climb in.

Driver with his own weapon.  Co-driver with a semi-auto rifle (such as AR-15), front window can be pushed up to shoot forward.

In the bed for the truck:

(No need for a ring mount .50 caliber or other type of automatic weapon, since they are nearly useless against walkers)

Nest of shooters:

One facing foward shooting over the top of the truck.

2 shooters on each side.

2 shooters in the back. 

one person in the center of the bed to help out as a shooter and supply ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read many threads on this subject and I really believe if you aren't where you intend to be you probably won't get there. I know all about bugout locations and such, but on your way home tomorrow, imagine something bad happened and you are stuck in the worst traffic jam you have ever seen. Now how is your $100K + 4x4 or 6x6 going to get you to your destination to begin your journey to you BOL. Just think how a simple traffic accident can clog up the interstate or 2 lane for hours. Now take that number of immobile vehicles and multiply by 1,000 or more and you get the gist. I recently was reminded that a few pairs of good hiking-walking boots or shoes would be the best method of mobility. Sorry to bust any bubbles, but although both my vehicles are 4x4 and I have a 4x4 Kawasaki Mule, eventually I will be on foot. Best of luck to us all if a SHTF scenario comes our way.

• Like 2

I have read many threads on this subject and I really believe if you aren't where you intend to be you probably won't get there. I know all about bugout locations and such, but on your way home tomorrow, imagine something bad happened and you are stuck in the worst traffic jam you have ever seen. Now how is your $100K + 4x4 or 6x6 going to get you to your destination to begin your journey to you BOL. Just think how a simple traffic accident can clog up the interstate or 2 lane for hours. Now take that number of immobile vehicles and multiply by 1,000 or more and you get the gist. I recently was reminded that a few pairs of good hiking-walking boots or shoes would be the best method of mobility. Sorry to bust any bubbles, but although both my vehicles are 4x4 and I have a 4x4 Kawasaki Mule, eventually I will be on foot. Best of luck to us all if a SHTF scenario comes our way.

If it is a true serious SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, and the situation arises that im stuck in traffic, im either driving the shoulder or going offroad to get away from the mess or im going to start pushing vehicles out of my way on my own. You should have several ways to get home but rules and laws be damned if it truly hits the fan.
  • Like 1
If SHTF, a vehicle will only get you as far as your tank will let you. Don't spend a ton of money on something that will only get you around temporality. Get a daily driver that can get you home at least once, then hold up. Maybe have a side by side for quick excursions from the house. Spend the rest of the money on supplies.

See post #35 above....

Chop 'em up with the propellers.  :D

If they're maintaining it, and if you could fill it up with a full tank of diesel, it has a range of 150 miles on land and 75 at sea. It would make an interesting survival vehicle if you had the time to retrofit some extra diesel tanks into the cargo area along with adding living spaces and weapons points. Slow though. The walkers may be faster than that thing.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Of course eventually all vehicles will be useless. But in the beginning which are the most crucial hours, days, weeks, and even months is what I am talking about. Something that can push through carry/ tow and is very off road capable is what is on my list. Diesel seems like the most viable engine choice being that it can run on such a variety of easy to find fuels given you have plethora of spare fuel filters and a crude way of cleaning dirty fuel. Getting out is ofcourse the hardest part and getting paired up with a group of like minded individuals is of course key to survival. But I think for the start I would want a short bed 4x4 truck that has 33" tires and some decent bumpers winch and cb radio.

If EMP concerns you, get an 87 or older Chevy truck and swap in a 6bt Cummins engine. Plenty of power and will still work after an EMP if you use an older 12v mechanically injected engine. The other option is the GM 6.2 diesel but they have very little power. Enough to move around but not do much work.

You can get a decent softskin Humvee for around 20k
first wave sold for 28-40k
last wave had some beaters that sold for 11k
http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips?c=3468&kwtag=auctioncarousel

or
http://www.govplanet.com/Trucks+-+LMTV?ct=30

Yea but for a decent one that I would stake my survival on I could spend that money and build out one he'll of a truck with new drive train in it.

I've wondered how well a barge train might actually work. It's not something that would last a hundred years, but would it be workable? Could someting like this support enough food/fuel to be self-sustaining for the number of people needed to operate it? Any normal person wouldn't be able to have it prepared ahead of time, but if you survived the initial waves, would it be a viable option?

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/md_board.jpg

Edited by monkeylizard
monkeylizard, on 05 Feb 2015 - 3:04 PM, said:

I've wondered how well a barge train might actually work. It's not something that would last a hundred years, but would it be workable? Could someting like this support enough food/fuel to be self-sustaining for the number of people needed to operate it? Any normal person wouldn't be able to have it prepared ahead of time, but if you survived the initial waves, would it be a viable option?

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/md_board.jpg

Doubtful. Would need so much resources that it would make more sense to build a big walled fort on the Mississippi river.

I know exactly where I am going, years ago when hunting with my wife's uncle he showed me an old moonshiners cave back in woods, the entrance is at the top of a hill, and you have to crawl into it for about 10 feet, then it opens into a large 2 room cave. I can stock it, put my family in it, and lay in the entrance with a good rifle and take out anything within 200 yrds, It's kinda scary I have it all planned out already lol