Which do you prefer 9mm or 38 special for SD?

Nether of these are the best choice for me but sometimes a small pocket gun is necessary, so I have pocket guns in each of these chamberings.

The projectiles are similar sized in diameter but the 38 bullet typically carries more grains but the 9mm ammo typically carries more energy at the muzzle.

...anyway, which do you like better and why?  Do you only carry autos for SD and does this govern your choice?  

Ditto Smith, though I like wheelies anyway! :ugh:

Also, I feel there are more, better defensive bullet designs for 9mm readily available vs 38.

But still, there's something about a j frame!

I guess I should have added that while I am a 9mm guy, I carry a .38 snub revolver. Ideal is a 9mm revolver![emoji6]

There are plenty of folks ln the graveyard from bein shot with both 38 special and 9 mm rounds... That bein said, there is no "best round".... There is the "one you like" round... Shot placement trumps everything...

A 22 in the eye will kill ya just as dead as a 50 caliber... Pick out the one you like and dont believe the "fan boy" baloney about "stopping power"... There aint no magic rounds...  

I carry a sig 238 380 all the time...  I like the "j" frame smiths loaded with the heavy 158 grain semiwadcutters as well as anything for CCW...  

If ya are a bit more nervous get ya a glock 33 or a glock 27 like i do from time to time...  Plenty of rounds in case ya have to shoot it out with the local MS13 boys...

I would be carryin a single stack 45 acp if i could find a "lightly used, lovingly cared for" one at a decent price...  

Don't worry about the caliber, worry about marksmanship...

leroy

• Like 2

I agree with Leroy on the shot placement. I love my .38 S&W but to answer your question I would carry a 9mm due to mostly more rounds. If I ever have to pull my gun I'm gonna try to disable the evil do'er more so than have the time to land a shot dead on where I'm aiming. I will do my best and I practice as much as possible but if and when the time were to come I may be so torn up, nervous, however you want to call it, that I am shooting to stop and would hate to be in a confrontation and run out of ammo. Heck, the evil person or persons may be so wired up on dope that it takes more than 5-6 shots to stop them. I do like the .38special round a little better though.

Shoot the one you can...

1. Be accurate with

2. Operate the platform (revolver vs. semi)

3. Can best afford

I enjoy shooting my dad's .357 magnum revolver, both with .38 special and full power magnum loads. But I would never carry one. I'm too used to the semi-auto manual of arms and the capacity difference. I also believe that the target ammo is a better cost in 9mm and even .45 ACP; there is also a very broad selection of self-defense loads available in 9mm/.45 ACP.

My personal choice between them is 9mm. But as with almost anything else, it's a personal choice and one that should be made after sampling what both platforms/rounds have to offer.

• Like 1

Nether of these are the best choice for me but sometimes a small pocket gun is necessary, so I have pocket guns in each of these chamberings.

The projectiles are similar sized in diameter but the 38 bullet typically carries more grains but the 9mm ammo typically carries more energy at the muzzle.

...anyway, which do you like better and why?  Do you only carry autos for SD and does this govern your choice?  

9mm  wins easily.   I can get 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm in a pocket pistol compared to a 5 shot revolver, and the auto is STILL smaller and easier to shoot (SAO trigger vs DAO)

There isn't a gnat's hair worth of ballistic difference in performance etc. 

Edited by Jonnin

I carry autos and revolvers both, but I haven’t owned a 9mm in 25 years. I do have a model 36, so I will say .38+P.

.357mag gets stuffed in anything it will fit in. All semi autos are .40S&W or .45ACP.

You must have one of those newfangled 36's. Mine is standard pressure only

Depends on the platform.  For a small, pocket gun I prefer revolvers because it is my belief that semi-autos in very small, light packages are riding a razor's edge for reliability even in .380 (although I do carry a P3AT sometimes.)  I would think that would be even more true in 9mm.  Also, for 'up close and personal' shooting at literal contact distance a revolver won't fail to go into battery if you have to shoot with the muzzle pressed into an assailant's gut whereas a semiauto can.  .38 Special is made for revolvers.  No moon clips needed, no having to punch empties out with a stick if you load loose rounds, no need to worry about some 'wonky' cylinder construction in order to avoid using moon clips.  Personally, at the level of performance either round would give from a small, pocket gun my thinking is that getting shot is getting shot and, as others have said, shot placement is going to be the difference.  Further, in such small guns it isn't like the capacity of a semi-auto is that much higher - certainly not enough higher to offset (for me) the advantages I believe a revolver has over a semi in a gun that is small enough to fit in a pocket (or very easily hide in a belt holster.)

Now, in a platform that is a little bigger - say, once you get big enough that the .38 would have a four inch barrel and the 9mm could accept standard capacity mags - I think the advantage would shift to the 9mm for carry.  Although I am largely a revolver guy if I am going to have something of that size on my belt it is hard to deny the advantage of 16 rounds vs. 6.  I also think that the 9mm's velocity/energy advantage would be more marked in guns of that size.  Just my :2cents: .

Edited by JAB

i did not think it would be fun carrying a 357 mag K frame but it has been ok in an outside the waist holster with a shirt over it....

...likewise, i got used to carrying a j-frame 38 in a holster in my pocket....  in a pinch, a pocket gun is ok.... 

no question, i shoot revolvers better than auto gunz especially in smaller packages.  as a reloader for decades, it is puzzling to me exactly why the ballistics favor the 9mm.....  it is a puny case compared to the 38 capacity.       

Thankfully, I cannot answer that question. I have never had to use a gun for self defense. I carry both a 9mm and a 38 special and train with them equally.

I consider them to be roughly equal in stopping power.  My favorite is the 38 special but for sentimental reasons.

I would lean far to the 9mm side, especially if my CW was a double stack 9mm of the Glock variety. The way many types of people are ganging up in herds to do their dirty work, multiple assailants would demand it. Trying to say out of a situation is best of course and always the first choice, but it seems that trouble is getting more mobile as time goes on and straying farther away from the old haunts, making it more unpredictable and harder to stay away from. Situational awareness is needed more now than it ever.

Edited by Randall53

i did not think it would be fun carrying a 357 mag K frame but it has been ok in an outside the waist holster with a shirt over it....

...likewise, i got used to carrying a j-frame 38 in a holster in my pocket....  in a pinch, a pocket gun is ok.... 

no question, i shoot revolvers better than auto gunz especially in smaller packages.  as a reloader for decades, it is puzzling to me exactly why the ballistics favor the 9mm.....  it is a puny case compared to the 38 capacity.       

38 special is a black powder case. Bullseye didn't exist.

I would lean far to the 9mm side, especially if my CW was a double stack 9mm of the Glock variety. The way many types of people are ganging up in herds to do their dirty work, and multiple assailants would demand it.

I'm pretty sure everyone will lean that way once semi autos have been fully tested and proven reliable :). I have been testing a high cap 9 since the late 70's, and am damn near convinced. 

You must have one of those newfangled 36's. Mine is standard pressure only

I assure you it'll fire a +p round. :shhh:

If I were going somewhere with the expectation of trouble, and can't imagine why I would, I'd take a rifle. That being said, there's usually a 380 in my pocket.

If I were expecting my house to catch fire, I'd have a fire truck parked in the driveway. In reality, there's a couple of fire extinguishers in the house.

I'm not sure there is a "better" self defense handgun, but any is better than none. If it's comfortable and easily concealed, you'll likely carry it. If not, you'll likely leave it at home.

Edited by gregintenn

I assure you it'll fire a +p round. :shhh:

If I were going somewhere with the expectation of trouble, and can't imagine why I would, I'd take a rifle. That being said, there's usually a 380 in my pocket.

If I were expecting my house to catch fire, I'd have a fire truck parked in the driveway. In reality, there's a couple of fire extinguishers in the house.

I'm not sure there is a "better" self defense handgun, but any is better than none. If it's comfortable and easily concealed, you'll likely carry it. If not, you'll likely leave it at home.

I used to shoot +P's in mine all the time, back in the day (again, late 70's). Just sayin', S&W said no even back then. The new 36 is a different gun. They don't make the short cylinder anymore. I probably won't ever shoot +p's in the one I have now. The gun is too hard to replace.

I carry a 9mm Shield most of the time. As others have said, it is more important to have a gun you are comfortable with and dependable rather than cartridge size. Yep, .22 will kill you deader than fried chicken, but it is not MY preferred choice, but it may be yours. But all else being equal, generally bigger is better.