Form 1 efile question

I am trying to e-file a Form 1 to SBR an AR pistol.  They are asking a question about overall length.  My barrel length is 10.5in, but how do I determine the overall length?  Also, I don't want to be restricted from putting different uppers or barrel lengths along the way on this receiver.  How  do I input this info so I don't get an error message that delays this getting processed? Or being illegal by having a barrel on this rifle out of ignorance?  Sorry if this has been addressed before, haven't seen it during my search...

Try to be as precise as possible. I had to write a letter after the ATF told me that 8.5", which I put on the form, was incorrect when my barrel actually was 8.625" long. I asked them if 1/8" really made a difference and they said it could. Now realistically unless you do something to show up on their radar they would probably never know but because I called and asked I wrote a letter.

I will also say that if you err do so on the short side because the rule of thumb, from talking to several agents, is for rifles you can always go a little longer but not shorter. This is opposite for suppressors which is you can go shorter but never longer.

But again unless you do something to end up on their radar you are probably never going to have an issue.

And as long as you can make the gun in the configuration you submitted you are fine. You do not even need to have a complete upper, just the barrel will be fine.

Try to be as precise as possible. I had to write a letter after the ATF told me that 8.5", which I put on the form, was incorrect when my barrel actually was 8.625" long. I asked them if 1/8" really made a difference and they said it could. Now realistically unless you do something to show up on their radar they would probably never know but because I called and asked I wrote a letter.

I will also say that if you err do so on the short side because the rule of thumb, from talking to several agents, is for rifles you can always go a little longer but not shorter. This is opposite for suppressors which is you can go shorter but never longer.

But again unless you do something to end up on their radar you are probably never going to have an issue.

And as long as you can make the gun in the configuration you submitted you are fine. You do not even need to have a complete upper, just the barrel will be fine.

Sig's website shows my barrel length to be 10".  I don't really see myself doing a whole lot of playing around until I become more versed in the law. Aside from putting a different buffer tube and a collapsible stock on this one I should be done for awhile...

Mine took 41 days. Approved last week.

I am pretty pumped about getting approved.  If I don't have any issues with the e-file and paperwork I attached then it will help boost my confidence a little about the process.  Now I just need to decide on a stock....and try to convince my wife to "allow" me to get another Aimpoint to mount up....

Another quick question.  Just for S's and G's let's say there's an issue with my e-file.  Will I have to check the website to know there is a problem or would I get an email directly from the ATF?   Phone call, snail mail?? Just curious on that process....

Cool deal

If you make a mistake on an ATF eform (http://www.atfonline.gov) there is a way to submit a correction without going to the end of the line.

Once you receive the notice that your eForm has been rejected, you will receive a refund of the application fee in around 10 days. You do not have to wait for the refund to be processed to resubmit a corrected application. You can pay the fee again while waiting for your refund or wait for the refund and them resubmit the application.

Once you submit your new application send an email to Ted.clutter@atf.gov and include the control number of the rejected application and the control number of the new corrected eForm and the application will be reprocessed. This should decrease the time for the approval process on the corrected eForm.

Some corrected forms get approved in a couple days after email notice of disapproval
Nice, thanks for the info. I dropped my receiver off yesterday to get engraved. Should have it back in about a week. With the turnaround on the apps you guys are giving, I should have my approval back around middle of the month if there aren't any errors on my e-file... Edited by jacob
  • 3 weeks later...

I read in another thread pertaining to efile about an internal control number being assigned on the efile website when said member did their own form 1 submission.  I noticed on mine that there is no internal control number assigned, only and ID# and Permit# have info filled in.  Does this indicate a problem with my submission or am I just over thinking this whole thing?  Was just getting close to the 30 day mark alot of people are getting their approvals in am just getting a little anxious to put this SBR together...

• 2 weeks later...
Welp, just got my email from ATF....APPROVED!!! Guess I should have listened to grandma when she told me as a little boy a watched pot never boils. I will post up some pics once I get my stamp in the mail. Thanks to those of you who have answered my questions in earlier posts to guide me in getting this filed. It is very much appreciated...
  • Like 1