Beretta 92S Italian Police Deal

runco

Good report.  How do you like that European mag release?  Also, assume you used modern mags, any issues with those?  Does the safety work just like the 92FS?  That is what I currently have.

Mag release, no gripes, have to put left hand up there anyway with a new mag, can pop it with thumb while holding the new mag, drops free. I can't trigger mag release with my right thumb without changing grip anyway, so might even be "tactically" faster.

Mags: It came with one with the thin bottom plate, no probs. Used two of my current issue factory ones with the thick polymer base plate and they're fine too. Oddly, other folks report older USGI mags as having the bottom cutouts, but I have 7 or 8 old ones by CheckMate and AirTronics and none of them do.

Safety/decocker exactly same as 92FS, just differently cast looking lever, and only on left side, not ambi.

Weighs something over 4 oz more than FS, due to various parts being steel instead of polymer or alloy.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I've been thinking about getting one of these and getting it cerakoted, or maybe one of the other police trade ins at buds. My question is, can you purchase grips for this gun? I've looked everywhere online and can't find them.

Looks like standard 92FS grips will fit, but you'd have to neatly remove that corner from the left one some way or other. The slots on the oldie's screws are really narrow, different from my other ones, and can't find a wide flat screwdriver tip thin enough to fit, so can't positively confirm that they are interchangeable except for that, but sure looks like it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered one of these from PSA a couple of weeks ago and it just arrived at my FFL. The finish is probably 95% with some holster ware. It has some light surface rust where the finish is worn, but I think it should clean up with a little elbow grease and some Hoppes.

The weapon either wasn't shot very much, or it had a new recoil spring and guide rod installed. Bore and rifling are good, no pitting.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. This weapon is also going to break my of my bad habbit of putting my off hand over the top of the slide when I'm doing a field strip. Nearly been bit twice.

Edited by M1_Garand
  • Like 1

....This weapon is also going to break my of my bad habbit of putting my off hand over the top of the slide when I'm doing a field strip. Nearly been bit twice.

I don't quite get that, though. I hold on to slide when taking it off, can't exactly see where I'd get "bit".

- OS

I don't quite get that, though. I hold on to slide when taking it off, can't exactly see where I'd get "bit".

- OS

Its because I'm a moron (this is my first Beretta 92). I was trying to take it down like my 1911s, where i grab the upper part of the slide with my left hand to pull it back so I can manipulate the take down lever with my right hand. After I made that first post, I saw I was doing it wrong and don't need to pull the slide back to do a take down.

I cleaned the Beretta up last night and the rust spots came up. Looking forward to hitting the range and seeing how she shoots.
  • Like 1

Got to fondle one today.   The trigger pull feels very heavy, and that finish is different looks more like paint.  LGS had it for $349, so I was not going to buy.  Even if the dealer was the same price, his Johnny salesman was more interested in another customer than me.  I had been awaiting a good 10 min. to see it.  Oh well no loss.  Hmmmm, maybe if Ms. Santa leaves me some mula in my stocking, I might consider. 

Agree, but much heavier than my vintage 1990ish 92FS or my Sig P6.  My P6 has the heaviest trigger pull of any pistol I have felt until today. 

I didn't think it was too bad, certainly better than my LCP (which takes the cake for worst trigger out of my collection).