Glock Extended Slide Release

I bought an extended slide release for the Glock 30 I just picked up. Installed the release today and it still sucks. It basically lies flat against the slide, really no shelf to get my thumb on.

Model is SP07496 as seen from Amazon21R26cpcLKL.jpg

The picture makes it appear there is a shelf to hit and get a good release. Here is what mine looks like installed 

20141101_161446.jpg20141101_161441.jpg

This is my first Glock so not sure if this really is their extended release or if a standard release got mixed in somehow. Is there any other releases that stick out a bit to get more leverage? Maybe I am just used to the release on my 1911 and Sig 2022 where I can actually get my thumb on the release and press down. With this Glock I am having to press my thumb in and down since it does not stick out at all. This works, just not as easy/quick as I am used to with other handguns.

I did find this Ghost Bullet Slide Release, picture appears to be what I am looking for but I thought the release I bought had a slight protrusion  so not sure if this one is any better. Any used this or have any other ideas?

gho_bsr_ss.jpg

Edited by jonathon1289

the two pictures that you show of your gun has the standard slide release not the extended slide release.  glock has a factory slide release that had a bump on it that helps, your top picture.  i got them on some of my glocks and on others i don't.  the standard slide release work good for me.  i took the extended one off my duty weapon and put in the normal one. i did the same with the extended mag release.  the only time i use the slide release is during a hot reload.  all other time i pull the slide back and let go.  it is more line a slide stop.  

Keep in mind this is actually a slide stop, not a slide release.

It's not designed to release the slide. That should be done by pulling back on the slide. That being said, I've never had an issue using the extended slide stop or even the stock version.

• Like 3

That was one of my fears, that what was in the package was not the extended release. Bought it from a local gun shop - they said it was extended and the package model number matches Amazon's extended release (SP07496). I paid with cash and no receipt so will be stuck with it and need to order something else from a more reliable source I guess.

Edited by jonathon1289

Just compared the original and the new "extended" release - should have done this sooner. They are indeed identical. 

So either the supplier messed up or the gun shop pulled one on me.

Oh well, lessons learned. Has anyone here used the Ghost bullet slide lock/release? It looks good in the pics.

Few years back I bought a G23 from a officer who said it was his former duty weapon.  This one glock is different from the other six that own, its release which cosmetically appears the same, simply looks bent outwards giving a shoulder for your thumb.  I just assume its a extension, or a homegrown version.  Can't you bend it yourself?

Keep in mind this is actually a slide stop, not a slide release.

It's not designed to release the slide. That should be done by pulling back on the slide. That being said, I've never had an issue using the extended slide stop or even the stock version.

This plus 1

Edited by RED333

This plus 1

Why did they name it a slide release then? I understand the concept of pulling the slide back and letting it fly, these flicks have no shortage in spring tension on their own though.

Both of mine seem to function well in this manner.
I use it as a release except on my 1911.

I read a brief article yesterday while searching for a new lock/release - seems to be primarily an American function. In Europe seems to be primarily used as a lock and they pull the slide to release.

For those saying it is not intended as a release, how do you use the bolt catch on your AR? Do you press it to release the bolt carrier or do you pull the charging handle back each time to release?

I don't really see that it makes much of a difference. Use the slide lock as a release works well for me and is quicker than pulling the slide then getting my grip reestablished.

Why did they name it a slide release then? I understand the concept of pulling the slide back and letting it fly, these flicks have no shortage in spring tension on their own though.

Both of mine seem to function well in this manner.

I think that it is properly called the slide stop. There are some guns that you would have to have monstrous muscles to release the slide with your thumb like a S&W M&P Shield. Sling shoting the slide is a much preferred method because it is a gross motor skill over a fine motor skill.
  • Like 2
I hear ya, my G21 was near impossible with the stock lock lever.

I'm wondering why I got mount if releasing the slide by pulling it back now that we have delved in to this topic.

I have to assume it was because some sort of govt mandated safety nazi device.
Guest MAWLJ45

I don't own a single glock, but everyone I know that has one just seats the mag in firmly & the slide drops on its own.

My understanding is that is called a malfunction. Yes they will do that but do not count on it for tactical training. Quote from a block armorer that we train with. 

Guest MAWLJ45

I've never had mine do that

When you seat the mag drive it in with the ball of your hand with authority it will put it at a slight angle. That is one reason they call it a malfunction and the weapon was not designed to work that way. That is how it was explained to me. OP Glock calls it a slide lock it will of course release the slide but that it not how it was intended to be used from the factory vs 1911 platform. I am not an expert in anyway just what I was told.