AK M92 Pistola with the New SIG SBX Brace

Oh Shoot

Rather than do or have done any smithing on back of receiver, went with US Machine Gun buffer tube grip adapter with added folding adapter and KAK Super buffer tube. Very pleased over all.

The adapter is marvelous, really locks in securely, as had cutout for screw base, not held just by two prongs like the SB-47 SIG brace, compensates well enough for the angle on rear of receiver too. The folding adapter is "okay", locks up nicely horizontally, but has play vertically. In fairness, this doesn't seem to translate to any less efficiency should you decide to misuse the brace by shouldering it. ;)

Was also able to add an AR endplate for quick one or two-point sling attachment.

For anyone thinking about using the SBX/KAK combo on AR or AK, be aware -- this tube (and the original one they still sell without the castle nut) was made specifically for the SB-15 brace. The SBX brace will NOT reach the retaining flange on the KAK super tube (or the original SB-15 KAK tube either), due to the brace being a bit shorter in the channel than the SB-15 and the fact that part of that length is also denied by the wall in the back of the tube channel, as it is not open all the way through like the SB-15. t will leave about a .7" gap. Which doesn't matter as to functionality, as the back wall in the SBX channel will prevent forward movement on any buffer tube. But I thought it would look a bit odd, so thought ahead and got the spacer kit also, added the short one just for continuity of the look.

And tell ya the truth, the only reason I really cared about making it a folder was so it would continue to fit the nice case I had already been using for the pistol in native form. If that folding adapter ever gets so sloppy it's a downside, can always just toss it and go straight into the adapter with buffer tube without it. Will keep the longer KAK spacer just in case, as it will pretty much make up for the difference in length if I do.

PAP-SBX-folded.jpg

PAP-SBX-open.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

Looking good. I tried using mine but it was still a little too long for my needs so I SBRd it. I will also make a thread adapter and probably use my Form 1 suppressor on mine.

Not sure if I told you but those Korean 20 round magazines worked great in my Draco.

I tried to like the SBX but I could not.

Not sure if I told you but those Korean 20 round magazines worked great in my Draco.

Might work fine in the PAP too, but they wouldn't work in either of my WASRs, so had already sent them back before I scored the pistol.

- OS

As said before...Oh Shoot and Dolomite sure do build some awesome firearms.

This looks great. And Dolo's Mini Draco is just the cat's meow!

To be fair, I don't "build" jack. Very far from what Gordon can do, I only throw somebody's finished parts together. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I appreciate it but I do not do anything more than anyone else can. The reason why most people do not like to try something new is because a fear of failure. I embrace failure because I learn from every mistake and hopefully I never repeat a mistake more than 2-3 times. I guarantee the vast majority of the people on this board can do what I have done if they would just try. I do not believe I am more skilled than anyone else but I will say I do not have a fear of failure. As long as I can replace the part if I screw it up I will try and, yes, I have screwed up a lot of stuff along the way but with every screw up I learned something.

• Like 4

mmmmm I can't wait for mine to come in... looks like it adds quite the length to an AK tho

If you mean the KAK buffer tube, it's about 1.5" longer than most standard "pistol tubes", although there's not exactly an industry standard for them.

What makes all that longer on the AK pistol past the receiver is length of buffer tube adapter and length of folding adapter, plus maybe half inch of the offset brace. LOP on my AR pistol is just shy of 12" and this AK is 14.75". Folding adapter is about 1.75" of total.

Guess you know, you can get a folding adapter for an AR too.  Pricey though.

http://www.lawtactical.com/ar_folding_stock_adapter_gen_3_p/2014003.htm

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Might work fine in the PAP too, but they wouldn't work in either of my WASRs, so had already sent them back before I scored the pistol.

- OS

My mags worked after I filed the rear tab profile down a bit to fit the mag catch better. The underside of the tab was just too thick. Luckily there was a lot of material there too work with.

My mags worked after I filed the rear tab profile down a bit to fit the mag catch better. The underside of the tab was just too thick. Luckily there was a lot of material there too work with.

These were 20 rounders through CDNN. Still in stock there:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ak47-762x39-20rd-black-steel-mag-asian-military.html#.VFZ582csHk8

They locked in easily, but sat too low, somehow. Wouldn't strip rounds off left side of mag at all, iffy off right side. If anything could have made them work, it might have been to add metal to underside of tab, as they'd work if you held up on the mag while shooting.

Only mag I've found wouldn't work in the WASRs. So for 20 rounders I've just stuck with El Plastico Tapco, which have been flawless.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Rather than do or have done any smithing on back of receiver, went with US Machine Gun buffer tube grip adapter with added folding adapter and KAK Super buffer tube. Very pleased over all.

The adapter is marvelous, really locks in securely, as had cutout for screw base, not held just by two prongs like the SB-47 SIG brace, compensates well enough for the angle on rear of receiver too. The folding adapter is "okay", locks up nicely horizontally, but has play vertically. In fairness, this doesn't seem to translate to any less efficiency should you decide to misuse the brace by shouldering it. ;)

Was also able to add an AR endplate for quick one or two-point sling attachment.

For anyone thinking about using the SBX/KAK combo on AR or AK, be aware -- this tube (and the original one they still sell without the castle nut) was made specifically for the SB-15 brace. The SBX brace will NOT reach the retaining flange on the KAK super tube (or the original SB-15 KAK tube either), due to the brace being a bit shorter in the channel than the SB-15 and the fact that part of that length is also denied by the wall in the back of the tube channel, as it is not open all the way through like the SB-15. t will leave about a .7" gap. Which doesn't matter as to functionality, as the back wall in the SBX channel will prevent forward movement on any buffer tube. But I thought it would look a bit odd, so thought ahead and got the spacer kit also, added the short one just for continuity of the look.

And tell ya the truth, the only reason I really cared about making it a folder was so it would continue to fit the nice case I had already been using for the pistol in native form. If that folding adapter ever gets so sloppy it's a downside, can always just toss it and go straight into the adapter with buffer tube without it. Will keep the longer KAK spacer just in case, as it will pretty much make up for the difference in length if I do.

PAP-SBX-folded.jpg

PAP-SBX-open.jpg

- OS

looks very nice - how much would this setup cost me if i was to build something like this?

These were 20 rounders through CDNN. Still in stock there:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ak47-762x39-20rd-black-steel-mag-asian-military.html#.VFZ582csHk8

They locked in easily, but sat too low, somehow. Wouldn't strip rounds off left side of mag at all, iffy off right side. If anything could have made them work, it might have been to add metal to underside of tab, as they'd work if you held up on the mag while shooting.

Only mag I've found wouldn't work in the WASRs. So for 20 rounders I've just stuck with El Plastico Tapco, which have been flawless.

- OS

If you get that problem out of other mags, the cheapest way to fix it is a new mag catch. Then you can fit it right. You may just have a mag catch that is worn down too much or on the short side. Tapco lugs tend to be thick.

looks very nice - how much would this setup cost me if i was to build something like this?

Around 3 bills:

US Machine gun buffer tube/folding adapter combo: 100

Buffer tube of your choice, the KAK super is 42, the spacer kit is 12

Sig brace of your choice, the SBX is 125-150, the SB-15 can be scored for about 110

castle nut

endplate sling adapter if you want to use one.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

If you get that problem out of other mags, the cheapest way to fix it is a new mag catch. Then you can fit it right. You may just have a mag catch that is worn down too much or on the short side. Tapco lugs tend to be thick.

Both WASRs are young, neither had even 500 rounds through them when tried. They both like Romanian and Yugo w/ BHO surplus, Tapco 20/30 rounders, even a stray ProMag I got somewhere. Both hated the Korean 20 rounders.

Not a biggie to me, I just like 20 round mags and the Korean were the only steel 20's I could find. Not gonna pay 30 clams plus for Hungarian tanker ones.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Around 3 bills:

US Machine gun buffer tube/folding adapter combo: 100

Buffer tube of your choice, the KAK super is 42, the spacer kit is 12

Sig brace of your choice, the SBX is 125-150, the SB-15 can be scored for about 110

castle nut

endplate sling adapter if you want to use one.

- OS

Plus the M92, of course.

• Like 2

Plus the M92, of course.

Yeah, there is that little detail. But I already had it anyway. :) :)

Seems it's scarce again right now, and folks asking high price for them, but will probably be another flood of them, same thing happened about 6 months ago. After being 7-8 bills when they were first released, hit a low of $299 about a year ago, then started creeping upward again, caught mine in the middle for $460 in hand back in June.

The 3 Draco models come and go too. There's little doubt the SIG brace has created unprecedented demand on both AR and AK pistol market.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot