Whose gonna man up on this upper?

Dustbuster

You won't catch me paying that much for a rail full of dickholes. Then again....it does come with a free raptor charging handle! :cool:

EDIT: I see that it's one seemless peice and not just a rail mounted up to an upper, so I give it extra props for that, still tooo much though, and I'll never use keymod anyways.

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1

Soo how do you tighten the barrel nut?

It uses a proprietary barrel nut wrench, which they also include with the upper.  

The price isn't that terrible.  And this certainly isn't the first or only monolithic upper on the market.  Mega had one out a while back but took it off the market.  They recently released this one.  

And of course, there is the Vltor VIS which is a monolithic design.  

Am I missing something? $700 is not out of sight for something like this.

It is when you can get a barreled upper for less:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=17129

http://www.surplusammo.com/300-blk/

etc, etc.

Personally, I would rather have the option of replacing a handguard if I get tired of it or damage it somehow.  And I am not sold on the looks or keymod feature so there is that too.  But I am also a cheapa$$ and look for the cheapest way of getting a build done so this would blow my budget for any build right off the bat.

But none of those linked are billet assemblies.  Much less one piece assemblies.  There is more money spent in machining the parts together so it becomes a high dollar part.  Comparing it a PSA anything is wrong. 

No doubt, but these will put steel on target the same as a billet one piece assembly.  If you are wanting a one piece, then yes you are going to pay for the extra machining and extra material; but its money which you don't NEED to spend.  While PSA may not be seen as high end, I dare say that their assemblies and those of many other so called low-end companies will get the job done so the comparison stands.  I have PSA lowers which I would put up against any lower out there at the range, I don't have an upper, but that's only because I already had other brands before I found PSA but would get one in a heartbeat if I wanted another.  Their cold forged barrels are sure tempting and may entertain them for an AR10 build in the future.

Always dug the looks of monolithic uppers, but not a fan of keymod.  Seems like there would never be a comfortable/controllable place to put your hands unless you mounted a rail section to put rail covers on?

As far as price, going apples to apples, a quality name stripped upper, quality hand guard, barrel nut, etc. when added up, gets closer to a mono.

My Noveske Chainsaw upper was $125, Daniel Defense 12" Lite Rail was $375, so there's $500 right off.  Could I (or HAVE I) used lesser expensive pieces and created a functional upper?  Absolutely (to both).

Isn't the AR the Lego Platform for adults?  Do what you want with it.

Mac

• Like 2