4 or 2 MOA red dot?

I am pretty set on getting either a Vortex Strikefire 2 or Sparc 2 but would like to get some opinions on MOA dot size. I like the fact that the Sparc itself is smaller but can't help but think the 4 MOA would suit me better. I doubt I ever get a magnifier or anything for this particular gun as I just want it to be as simple as possible. Any pro's or cons between the two sizes?

I remember doing the same analysis over an Aimpoint a year ago.  

I bought the 4 MOA for two reasons:  1) it was cheaper and 2) I thought I'd be able to 'pick it up' easier.  It's the same logic that I used in getting a wider front sight post for my Service Rilfe in High Power competitions..........I'm likely to appreciate a bigger sight years from now when my eyes deteriorate. 

• Like 1
4 MOA might hide more of the target at distance on brighter settings. I have 4 MOA Aimpoints and have always run them at the lowest brightness setting I can still see and pick up quickly....I am not an expert by any means, this is just a reflection of my experience. I dont have a problem hitting what I aim at with mine...

depends on what it is for.  Small dots excel at precision shooting, of course...  but are harder to see outside in sunny conditions and can be harder to see if your vision is poor.   

Brightness increases the dot size a bit in most models I have seen.  So running a big dot at high bright is even less precise, while a low brightness on a small dot is a pinpoint.  

If you want a point and shoot defense gun, big dots are fine.   If you want a competition pistol, small dots are much better.   

--- the best models have controls that adjust the dot and brightness.  That is another way to solve the issue....

Edited by Jonnin

Well I got to handle both the Strikefire 2 and Sparc 2 last night. I really like the size, feel , and look of the Sparc as well as the 2 MOA dot. However the Strikefire has a larger diameter tube that I can't help but think I would like in the long run. Seems like it would aid in target acquisition. It really needs to be mounted to a gun to test though. You can only do so much holding it in your hands. I also did not get to check it out in daylight.

• Like 1
I bought a sparc for my first AK purchase. It is a pretty nice optic. When I shoot my red dots the outer tube tends to disappear as I bring my focus onto the dot itself. The tube diameter for me is a non issue, more just personal preference...

I bought a sparc for my first AK purchase. It is a pretty nice optic. When I shoot my red dots the outer tube tends to disappear as I bring my focus onto the dot itself. The tube diameter for me is a non issue, more just personal preference...

I guess it's just a matter of it I want to see more target inside the optic or more area around the optic.

I guess it's just a matter of it I want to see more target inside the optic or more area around the optic.

When shooting with both eyes open, the tube should disappear from your vision. Just the target with a floating dot on it. The 2MOA dot is very nice once you get out past 200m.
  • Like 1

When shooting with both eyes open, the tube should disappear from your vision. Just the target with a floating dot on it. The 2MOA dot is very nice once you get out past 200m.

Thats what I was trying to describe....the sight itself disappears and only the red dot itself remains when i am bringing up on target...

Thanks guys. I was able to play with one on a rifle today and I see what you mean. It's easier to look "through" the sight at the target and really just see the red dot if the tube itself is smaller. My only concern now is that the 2 MOA dot will be hard to see in direct sunlight.

On a quality optic you will have no issue with this. Again, you get what you pay for in optics.

The SPARC you are looking at is a great entry level optic. You won't have any issues picking up the dot with it.

I'm an AimPoint guy, but I have a SPARC mounted on my 15-22 and I've been very impressed with it for the money. Edited by GhostRecon21

On a quality optic you will have no issue with this. Again, you get what you pay for in optics.

The SPARC you are looking at is a great entry level optic. You won't have any issues picking up the dot with it.

I'm an AimPoint guy, but I have a SPARC mounted on my 15-22 and I've been very impressed with it for the money.

I have my eye on the aimpoint PRO but just don't want to fork out that much dough until I am sure I like a red dot. I feel the vortex is the right balance between value and cost at this point for me. If I don't like it I can always sell it.

I wanted to see just how precise my Vortex Strikeforce 2 was this weekend. Using a bipod, I was only able to get 3" groups at 50 yards. I tried with and without the 3x magnifier. I'm far far far from being a crack shot, so some of that is me, but I was pretty darn steady. I'm just saying it's not a precision instrument, because even at that range the dot covered the entire 3" target.

That being said...how big is a zombie brain? I'm definitely within MOZ (minute of zombie-brain).

I wanted to see just how precise my Vortex Strikeforce 2 was this weekend. Using a bipod, I was only able to get 3" groups at 50 yards. I tried with and without the 3x magnifier. I'm far far far from being a crack shot, so some of that is me, but I was pretty darn steady. I'm just saying it's not a precision instrument, because even at that range the dot covered the entire 3" target.

That being said...how big is a zombie brain? I'm definitely within MOZ (minute of zombie-brain).

The 4 MOA dot on the strikefire is what sent me to the SPARC. I like everything better about the strikefire except that.

I have my eye on the aimpoint PRO but just don't want to fork out that much dough until I am sure I like a red dot. I feel the vortex is the right balance between value and cost at this point for me. If I don't like it I can always sell it.

You will not be disappointed in the Aimpoint PRO...
  • Like 1

Go to a stocking Aimpoint dealer and look through one.  It's only $400...and it's a combat-quality optic.

• Like 1