I've got a serious problem.

So, I've pretty much decided on a Glock 23, and I've spent just abut every day trying to convince myself to not go out and just buy it immediately,

I've got the $ for it. But, then I look at the guns I already have and feel comfortable with and wonder if I am just making a frivolous purchase I don't need.

That being said, I'm super obsessive. I've collected watches, cowboy boots, shoes, knives, hats, and guitars. I can't have just one thing and feel satisfied. In the guitar world we call it G.A.S... Or gear acquisition syndrome.

Is this a problem we all share? Do any of your obsessions extend beyond guns and into other hobbies and lifestyles? Also, does this affect your relationships? Haha Edited by suspiciousmind
I'm just the same. Guitars, guns, and now knives. Not as prevalent, but still there is my love of cars and saltwater reef tanks. I just have one nice (to me) car and no tank right now, as we are buckling down hard to have our house paid off by my 40th birthday, which is 8 years away. If I didn't have to feed a couple of my hobbies we could do that even faster, but there has to be some kind of balance between working for the future and enjoying today. We also blow too much money eating out. These are the pleasures we afford ourselves.

We buy used cars and keep them for about 7 years, I do most maintenence on them. I don't think we're saving quite enough right now in IRAs, etc, but console myself with the fact that we're blowing our mortgage out of the water ASAP. Anywho, it was hard for me to figure out our balance of fun vs responsible. Thankfully, wifey is a saver... though I hate it because I'm a spender... and she's right. I was jobless for over a year in 2008-09. I learned a lot about needs vs wants, and had to let a lot of my favorite things go so we could continue things like... eating.

Hobbies can be a problem, if not managed. It's not necessarily the addiction, but what happens when all the extra money we make goes to fun stuff, then an un-fun event pops up and we have no buffer.

Anyways... if it can be afforded, you DO need just one more gun. ;-)
  • Like 1

Most things I consider for a few months before I jump in.

This. If I wait and shop and think on it, half the time I'll end up finding something I like better or the other half I decide I didn't really want it in the first place. I end up being very happy with my final purchases that way. I'm currently thinking on 3 different guns, we'll see by next month what happens.

Oh, and don't let it effect your relationships. I'm lucky I have a wife that understands and I'm also lucky enough to be able to afford a reasonable amount of toys and still be able to save a good amount of money. Don't ever let it strap you financially either.

Yeah, this week it's cameras. I can always find a problem with a picture I've taken. I've had plenty of point and shoots and currently have a $300 dollar Lumix that I'm not satisfied with. So for the past 4weeks I've been shopping for DSLR's. My past experience with SLR film cameras has been positive but for some reason I never got a DSLR. 

Same thing with other items, guns, car accessories, motorcycle stuff even flannel shirts but as I get older my patience and spending control has not been as impulsive.

Matter of fact, just now I was almost relived that a Craigslist deal, that was a too good to pass up, had just been sold.

Yea, I have G.A.S. and the secret concerning our significant others is to not let them know. Mine is not that observant anymore but I'm not going through trucks and motorcycles like I used to either.  B) 

My name is DustBuster,i'm addicted to black rifles.
It's only fair to tell you that some of us are members of the 12 step program which helps keep us from spending our children's inheritance on things that go boom in the night

1 we admitted that we are powerless over black rifles and our lives are still very manageable

2 we came to believe in a higher power that will make us believe reloading isn't the only option.

3 we inventoried our safes and caches and there will never be enough parts

Anyone care to continue? Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1

Is this a problem we all share? Do any of your obsessions extend beyond guns and into other hobbies and lifestyles? Also, does this affect your relationships? Haha

Yes.... Yes.... Yes....

Out of a total of 15ish guns I've got least 4 that have never been fired if for no other reason then I've got more guns than time.... My intest also extends into motorcycles which I've dwindled down to only one but it is so very much a hand built one off custom. Bought into a golf cart but was not happy with the ho hum speed and lack of torque that today it tops out close to 35 MPH.... Same goes for the pontoon boat as nothing I own is allowed to stay stock.....

My name is DustBuster,i'm addicted to black rifles.
It's only fair to tell you that some of us are members of the 12 step program which helps keep us from spending our children's inheritance on things that go boom in the night
1 we admitted that we are powerless over black rifles and our lives are still very manageable
2 we came to believe in a higher power that will make us believe reloading isn't the only option.
3 we inventoried our safes and caches and there will never be enough parts
Anyone care to continue?

4 We join websites that help us learn about new things that feed the animal

5 We build, modify, upgrade, modify upgrades, and upgrade modifications

6 We sell off extra parts and components for what would have been future obsessions (gaining 100+ feedback in the process)

7 We get comfortable with a platform, then complacent, then bored. The itch for something else comes, the itch is heartily and zealously scratched, and then reasons for the first platform are rediscovered and re-appreciated. More feedback ensues.

Someone else's turn!

fellas......fellas......fellas.......coming from an ole man married 60 years when was the time you bought the wife a new........washer ...dryer.......kitchen stove......refrigarator.......sewing machine....I bet she dont need a safe to keep all her toys in.   ya gotta keep them happy also.

Ron.....I dont think these guys wanna hear this

Edited by Ron_TN

Here is my solution, balance your household income into the normal buckets or envelopes of moneys, gas, elec, food, car payment, savings, Christmas, vacation, clothing, house, etc., in all seriousness, make sure what really matters is covered without exception!  Then do like I do, also have a bucket or envelope for "fun" separate from the Mrs. bucket or envelope for "fun".  Then the "fun" money you set aside, use it for fun.  Unfortunately, in my case the F was transposed with G, and I have a "gun" money bucket.  Its been this way for years, and it works.  Each year I set off to buy at least 1 or 2 new guns a year with my G money, problem is that I sell other items in my garage that I turn around and buy guns and gun stuff with, which in the end I end up buying 2 or 4 guns.    Layaways at Buds don't help!

Edited by Runco
  • Like 2

So, I've pretty much decided on a Glock 23, and I've spent just abut every day trying to convince myself to not go out and just buy it immediately,

That's definitely a problem.  Hopefully you get everything worked out and stop buying Glocks soon.

• Like 2

Really? No one is into quality flashlights?

I'm "into" them, but have never had flashlight GAS. I have 6 or 7 of them over the last few years, but a buddy of mind has over 100 of them (and by quality I mean fenix, etc.). He has a real problem ...

My overspending hobbies are guns/ammo and whiskey, try not to mix the too.

Other hobbies include golf and biking, but never got the "bug" to blow lots of money on them.
  • 9 months later...