Where to FFL to in Nashville

Guest NashvegasMatt

Guest NashvegasMatt
Hey guys, quick question, my favorite shop is no more so where is everyone shopping online purchases that require an FFL to? Obviously I'm after a good price too. Any suggestions.
Guest NashvegasMatt

+1

I am glad that someone else saw the irony of the OP.

I'm a supporter of local business, but it's not even really close. We're not talking $30 here. I'd love to buy from a shop around here but it just doesn't make financial sense to do that.
Just to be transparent, I'm looking at a new XDM .40 cal compact online from either buds or kygunco. $550 no tax...either place... Someone prove me wrong and I'll come to their shop this week and drop the money.
I'm more concerned with keeping local brick and mortar gun stores open as it keeps my money in my community. A good gun store will make a defective gun problem right for you when the manufacturer is giving you the run around. They'll absorb the loss to keep you happy and keep your business. A simple rule of thumb is paying with cash money saves the gun shop money, such savings can be passed along to the buyer. I've had good successes with asking for a cash money price and showing the money, try it for yourself and see if you agree.

I'm a supporter of local business, but it's not even really close. We're not talking $30 here. I'd love to buy from a shop around here but it just doesn't make financial sense to do that.
Just to be transparent, I'm looking at a new XDM .40 cal compact online from either buds or kygunco. $550 no tax...either place... Someone prove me wrong and I'll come to their shop this week and drop the money.

So, you want a price with no tax, and no before or after sale service, help or advice, from a local brick and mortar store.

Good luck with that.

It just comes down to what's most important to YOU. If the final price is the measure, then no one's gonna beat online. If service and a relationship is the value for you, then online can be beaten easily.

Edited by Steelharp
I think you have to add all cost before buying online and of course local availability. For cost when buying online is price + shipping + background check and transfer fee vs cost - cash discount + transfer fee and tax. In most cases it is not that different. Example: online sale = gun 550.00 + shipping 25.00 + nics 10.00 + transfer fee 25.00 = 610.00. Local 580.00 - 3% 562.60 + tax 9.25% 614.64 + nics 10.00 = 624.64. Note: nics is not taxed. That is only a 14.00 difference which you may or may not be able to negotiate. Even if you don't pay shipping online that is $39.00 which maybe negotiated down.

Just so you know I buy both ways online and locally. If the local prices are way out of line I will buy online or
if the gun is not available locally again I buy online.

Just my .02. Edited by joe45
  • Like 1

What joe45 said. I find Goodlettsville and GnL to be highly competitive with online stores for the commodity guns (Glock, XD, etc.). They'll occasionally actually beat online on a special shipment or overstocks. Other stuff, not so much, but I almost always call one or both to give them a chance before I click "Buy Now".

Guest NashvegasMatt

So, you want a price with no tax, and no before or after sale service, help or advice, from a local brick and mortar store.

Good luck with that.

It just comes down to what's most important to YOU. If the final price is the measure, then no one's gonna beat online. If service and a relationship is the value for you, then online can be beaten easily.

See I'm not a "shopper" I know what I want and what I'm willing to pay. And to the comment above which states the shop will take care of you... Come on, if it's a legit manufacturer defect they have to be an authorized service provider to work on them so you don't lose the warranty. So how is that going to happen. It's not. I'm not bashing the local shop, and it's easy to bash the consumer because it's not a "purest" mentality...but that's not the case here.
NVM...your partially correct in if the LGS isn't a warranty repair center then they can't take care of the repair work. What they will do is handle all of the details of getting the manufacture to authorize the repair, packaging and shipping and such for you. Its not uncommon for a LGS to simply replace the gun if things aren't working out to everyone's satisfaction. If the LGS your dealing with doesn't follow this business model then find another. I've worked behind gun counters and spent the largest part of my life in gun stores and gunsmith shops. By all means do as you see fit.

Like I said. For those commodity guns, GnL can get pretty dang competitive with Internet sales. For that $24.24 difference, I'd go see Metal and walk out the door with it.

I don't know if they include a range pass with transfers like they do with regular sales, but if so that's worth $10 and cuts the difference to < $15.00.

Edited by monkeylizard
The online price from buds looks like the cash price, so you need a cash like payment or pay more for CC. most of the LGS will drop 3% of the list price if you have fist full of cash. This time of year near inventory audit some will help good customers out a little more. A price point of around 1k starts to look like a tax savings, but we are on the honor system because the state would like for you to report it... Unless guns and leather has changed, there is a one year assistance with warranty issues printed on the receipt. Hard to beat a free drop it at the store and they take care of it service. They throw in a range pass so you can dirty it up before you leave. Buds does have the lifetime pay for it davidsons type warranty now.

Best transfer FFLs are sumner gun or GnL. Can't find it local and looking for a model harder to find, try the gun crew in old hickory.
Guest NashvegasMatt

The online price from buds looks like the cash price, so you need a cash like payment or pay more for CC. most of the LGS will drop 3% of the list price if you have fist full of cash. This time of year near inventory audit some will help good customers out a little more. A price point of around 1k starts to look like a tax savings, but we are on the honor system because the state would like for you to report it... Unless guns and leather has changed, there is a one year assistance with warranty issues printed on the receipt. Hard to beat a free drop it at the store and they take care of it service. They throw in a range pass so you can dirty it up before you leave. Buds does have the lifetime pay for it davidsons type warranty now.

Best transfer FFLs are sumner gun or GnL. Can't find it local and looking for a model harder to find, try the gun crew in old hickory.

No.. You just put in your routing and checking account number and pay by "electronic" check to get the 3%.
Guest NashvegasMatt

Closest I can get is $609.24 out the door, and would take me a couple days to get one in the building.

I'll take that into consideration. Thanks.

Just did a transfer from a shop in Texas which will remain nameless.  Was a pain in the butt and I was getting ready to cancel the order for not receiving the gun almost 4 weeks after the order was placed.  Was told it was on the way several times which it wasn't.  Spoke to the owner several times and same excuses and that it's waiting to be picked up and shipped out, etc. and never was.  And then they were going to send me $50 for all the trouble which they never did.  Needless to say I'll buy from the LGS next time.