The "Bandaids" portion of "Beans, Bullets, and Bandaids"

Do you carry a gun?

Do you acknowledge that there exists a potential that you may have to use it to defend your life? The life of those you care about?

Do you have the knowledge, skill, and equipment to initially treat a severe wound?

It really isn't "Rocket-Surgery". LOL.

There is a concept known as the "Killer B's"..."Bleeding & Breathing". These are your priority focus areas when the smoke clears.

The is also the concept of the "Golden Hour and Platinum 10 minutes" that shines a light on the reality of the situation.

As a side note, and I know there are Paramedics and LEO's on the board here that can verify this: EMS can't, as in are not allowed, to enter an Active Shooter scene until it is secured.

There's no sense rushing in to help and being shot for your efforts. This takes time...very precious time...when you or a loved one are bleeding...

We all need to understand that it is we that are responsible for that initial care and treatment, of ourselves and very possibly someone we care about.

I'm not saying that everyone that carries a gun should bean EMT or Paramedic...but the concepts of Self Care and Buddy Care from Tactical Combat Casualty Care or TC3 can be adapted for us all.

I'll list various gear if there is an interest. As well as discuss various aspects of this if there is an interest. You folks let me know.

I highly recommend a class geared towards the normal mere mortal civilian gun carrier like our own Randy Harris teaches regionally....no, this is not a paid advertisement...but I know, and Trust, Randy and have seen what he teaches.

There are other venues available. So please do your due diligence.

OK then, but a disclaimer first. All I am doing is sharing opinions and observation. There are many folks much more qualified than I am out there.

I encourage any and all input, experiences, observations, corrections, and opinions.

The equipment and techniques are merely what I have first hand experience with, so what I write here is only that, what I personally have experience with. Buyer beware LOL.

MY primary focus will be on gear. I’ll mention the use. But…Training is the key.

Bleeding!

Hypothetical situation:

OK. The shooting has stopped. You break threat focus by doing a scan.

Did I hit him?

Is he down?

Does he have any friends? (Any further threats?)

Am I hit?

So the bad guy is down. Good for you. Hopefully you have moved to cover, called for backup/911, and are still able to cover the downed badguy.

Self assess: With the adrenal dump that occurred you may not even realize you are hit.

Check yourself…look and feel.

OK. You’ve been hit. It’s a hit to the leg, or an arm. Doom on you! :ugh:  ...not really. :cool:

Most extremity wound can be treated with direct pressure.

Worse case, a self applied tourniquet.

The above is only what I have experienced in training/classes…please seek out professional instruction…please…

What I do in real life:

Put on my gloves…gotta protect myself too.

Extremity wound.:

Look for entrance and exit.

Elevate the extremity while applying a pressure type absorbent dressing. I like Kerlix rolls. They are absorbent and allow pressure to be transferred to the wound channel.

An Emergency Bandage (link below) works great and I’ve used them on several occasions outside of a hospital setting. The are essentially an absorbent bandage with an Ace Wrap attached to them.

If they bleeding cannot be controlled with direct pressure (or hypothetically if you are still under fire and bleeding profusely) apply a Tourniquet between the wound and your trunk/body…at least 3-4” above the wound and cinch that sucker down! (edit: some sources say 2-3"...just allow yourself enough room to work and make sure to avoid placing the TQ over a joint...)

Fwiw: We, in healthcare, frequently use tourniquets (in surgery) for hours on end without damage, and I’ve used my MAT tourniquet and a SOF-TT tourniquet recently in our ER to control arterial bleeding while we treated the patient…both times very successfully.

I personally carry a small BOK or Blow Out Kit in my right hip pocket when I’m out and about.

It is about the size of a wallet and contains a CAT Tourniquet, a pair of nitrile gloves, and an Emergency bandage.

Self application of a TQ is quick and easy…but does require familiarization and practice.

heavy duty nitrile gloves

Israeli Military Bandage or Emergency Bandage

C.A.T. Tourniquet

SOF-TT gen 3 Tourniquet

Kerlix Gauze Roll

Not a great on body carry or field use TQ, but I keep one in my “truck kit”.

M.A.T. tourniquet

Edited by prag

I have a IFAK on my go vest that contains; 2 tourniquets, 2 packs of combat gauze, medical shears, a large compress, ace bandage, nasal airway set, and an Israeli bandage. I also have a medic go bag that contains two IV bags and numerous other things that one would need to treat about any trauma patient. I need to expand into some medications to have on hand but that is what I have complete so far, well besides vitamins and basic drugs(Advil, Tylenol, etc).

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 1

That sounds like a comprehensive kit whitewolf. Good for you.  :up:

Would the "combat gauze" you mentioned be the Quickclot impregnated gauze? Good stuff!

We just started carrying it in our ER. Institutions, such as hospitals, are sometimes slow to change. It took me a bit of lobbying to get it on board there LOL.

[url=http://www.walmart.com/ip/Z-Medica-Quickclot-Sport-Pad-25-g-724264/34970287] Quickclot from Walmart[/url]

[url=http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05168/-QuikClot-Combat-Gauze,-Rolled-%28Non-Military-Use-Only%29-] Quickclot Combat Gauze[/url]

Edited by prag
  • Like 1

That sounds like a comprehensive kit whitewolf. Good for you.  :up:

Would the "combat gauze" you mentioned be the Quickclot impregnated gauze? Good stuff!

We just started carrying it in our ER. Institutions, such as hospitals, are sometimes slow to change. It took me a bit of lobbying to get it on board there LOL.

Quickclot from Walmart

Quickclot Combat Gauze

Indeed it is, I got it at a gunshow a little while back for $7 ea which is a fregin STEAL after I priced the stuff online. MSRP is $50 ea, cheapest I could find was $20-25 on Amazon. My mil-surp guy got a hold on this stuff, also where I got the IV's and a good chunk of my supplies, that and Knob Creek. The IV's are technically out of date but haven't discolored and aren't comprised which is the big kicker, once they discolor they are no bueno.

In addition to what prag has posted.... Go see your local Red Cross.  Most everywhere offers a (typically free) first responder training class.  While not specific to gun shot wounds, it great general info on what you should and sometimes more importantly, should not do. 

http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/program-highlights/cpr-first-aid

I took one specific to motorcycles a few years ago from these folks:

http://roadguardians.org/

• Like 1

Indeed it is, I got it at a gunshow a little while back for $7 ea which is a fregin STEAL after I priced the stuff online. MSRP is $50 ea, cheapest I could find was $20-25 on Amazon. My mil-surp guy got a hold on this stuff, also where I got the IV's and a good chunk of my supplies, that and Knob Creek. The IV's are technically out of date but haven't discolored and aren't comprised which is the big kicker, once they discolor they are no bueno.

That's an incredible price on the QC! Good deal! :up:

My larger trauma kit does have airway and IV gear in it. I'm very fortunate that the majority of my training and shooting buds are Paramedics and ER physicians...kinda handy you know?  :pleased: 

So I agree that having some "advanced" gear on hand for someone with a higher skill level is actually quite prudent.

• Like 1

In addition to what prag has posted.... Go see your local Red Cross.  Most everywhere offers a (typically free) first responder training class.  While not specific to gun shot wounds, it great general info on what you should and sometimes more importantly, should not do. 

http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/program-highlights/cpr-first-aid

I took one specific to motorcycles a few years ago from these folks:

http://roadguardians.org/

Excellent advice and I strongly second that recommendation. :up:

Another considerations is a Wilderness First Aid course like one taught by NOLS:

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildfirstaid.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

Chinook Med is also having a "Black Friday" sale.

I've done business with Chinook Med for a long time and highly recommend them.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category/offerdetails?utm_source=CMGWebsite&utm_medium=Photo&utm_term=BlackFridaySale&utm_content=HomepageHeader&utm_campaign=BlackFridaySale

The Kerlix Gauze roll is a good buy. These are extremely useful for wound packing. I keep several in all of my kits and use Kerlix almost daily at work.

fwiw...Wound packing is a technique use to apply pressure to a deeper wound.

For additional info you might want to view this link, in particular the section on "Gunshot Wounds".

http://medic.wikia.com/wiki/Special_considerations_for_gunshot_wounds_and_shrapnel_wounds