45 GAP

Guest Glockman

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Survive, yes... Flourish, probably not.

I had one, a 5" XD-45 GAP. Great shooting pistol, hard to find ammo for.

Ballistics-wise, if you can find ammo, it's right up there with std-pressure .45acp... The grip-size savings of the cartridge are pretty moot in most platforms, since only the Glock 21 frames are overly large compared to other double-stack .45acp pistols.

I would love to have a Sig P239 in this caliber... it would be perfect for a compact single stack for small hands.

Ballistically, it is a good round. But I just don't see the point of it. There are other good rounds.

I think it will survive with always expensive and difficult to find ammo. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing that makes it extra special.

I never thought the 40S&W would survive. If anyone finds a way to sell it to LE, it's future will be secured (meaning the 45GAP).

There have been some 2-dozen depts in the NE which have adopted the G37... I'm sure due to hefty discounts from Glock.

We'll see I guess... I probably won't seek to own another pistol in this caliber, personally.

45 GAP and 10mm will probably always have their fans, like the .44 special. Not overly popular, but enough customers to hang in there.

I agree. And think that is the best scenario for it. Springfield already discontinued its line of GAP pistols. SIG isnt going to pick it up anytime soon. I see it going the way of 400 Cor-Bon. Nice round but nothing special to recommend it.

With manufacturers discontinuing models that chamber the 45GAP and other manufacturers announcing they won't make a handgun in that caliber, it's pretty much dead. Even the fanatics at Glocktalk are hedging. When that happens, there is a problem that even the blind can see.

Guest Phantom6

Well, fortunately for those owners, both shooters and collectors the round will most likely always be available- at a premium but I'd have to pretty much agree with Marswolf and others on this topic. I'm certainly not going to rush out and buy a pistol that feeds on that stuff.

Guest Hyaloid
I have a box of .45 GAP in my workshop right now with nothing to shoot it out of. Wife made a little mistake at Christmas.

Just throw it at the target REALLY hard... then it will simulate a 9mm round.

:confused:

.45gap is just as viable a cartridge, compared to .45acp, as .40s&w is to 10mm...

People simply tend to stick with what is familiar.

.45gap is the answer to a question... the question was: "Well gooollee Gaston, do-ya' think we can make a double-stack .45 that doesn't require the shooter to have sasquatch hands?"

Glock did it one way (new cartridge), Springfield did it another (efficient use of grip space).

Even though the G21SF is a bit of an improvement, it still does not compare to the XD-45acp or the G37.

Both the G21SF and G37 are (IMO) half @$$ed attempts to attain a particular goal... that goal being a smaller grip. Oh well. Some love 'em.

I personally see the G38 and G39 being the proper use of this cartridge, since it was meant to enhance the compactness of a compact pistol. I loved shooting my 5" XD-45gap, but knew all along that a micro .45 cartridge didn't make much sense in a full-size pistol. I think that's the rub. If this cartridge was marketed in a compact, single-stack platform with decent ergonomics, there would be far more appreciation for it. As I said, I would love a Sig P239 chambered in GAP. Or, a G36-esque platform with a shortened (front-to-back) grip.

The name that Glock desired stamped on the cartridge was "45 Glock" but the SAAMI folks wouldn't go for that so it became the "45 GAP". I suspect someone really wanted it named the 45 Gaston.

BTW, if anyone has a spare 45 GAP round you would like to send to me for my cartridge collection, I'd be glad to reimburse you for the cost. I collect odd rounds and really don't plan to buy a box of 45 GAP just for display.

Guest mrnord
With manufacturers discontinuing models that chamber the 45GAP and other manufacturers announcing they won't make a handgun in that caliber, it's pretty much dead. Even the fanatics at Glocktalk are hedging. When that happens, there is a problem that even the blind can see.

HEY....who you callin' fanatics?!? I am a member of GlockTalk, and by no means consider myself a Fanatic...now, lemmetellyaboutmyG22!!! :D

Carl

P.S.

FWIW, I think the GAP has been filled I will not be rushing out to buy a pistol chambered in that calibre.

The name that Glock desired stamped on the cartridge was "45 Glock" but the SAAMI folks wouldn't go for that so it became the "45 GAP". I suspect someone really wanted it named the 45 Gaston.

BTW, if anyone has a spare 45 GAP round you would like to send to me for my cartridge collection, I'd be glad to reimburse you for the cost. I collect odd rounds and really don't plan to buy a box of 45 GAP just for display.

I've still got 50+rd of Double-Tap 185gr Gold-Dot .45 G.A.P. I'm sure that I could part with it... since I don't have a gun in this caliber anymore.

pm me if you want it, and where to send it. I'd be fine with just sending one or two cartridges out of the lot.

jfglock, I'll send you the rest of them, if you want them... The Double-Tap is HOT :D . 185gr Gold-Dot bullet @ 1150fps - 4" bbl... excellent carry ammo. I've used a ton of it in the past.

I don't have the original packaging anymore (since I dump it into ammo cans for storage)

I've still got 50+rd of Double-Tap 185gr Gold-Dot .45 G.A.P. I'm sure that I could part with it... since I don't have a gun in this caliber anymore.

pm me if you want it, and where to send it. I'd be fine with just sending one or two cartridges out of the lot.

PM on the way. Thanks.

If you have any spare C-4 you can include that. :D

PM on the way. Thanks.

If you have any spare C-4 you can include that. :D

I'll be sending you a pair of cartridges tomorrow (might be able to get it out this afternoon)... and I'll be sending the rest to jfglock.

At this time, I am fresh out of C4... had some stumps to remove :P

Need any thermite?

Doomsday Device?