Veterans Day Movie

Yes, a very good movie. I have a buddy from Dubois, WY. He had just retired from the USMC when they started scouting the place to film. I don't think Ding was in the movie, but I know he worked with them and the local VFW. Ding was a 24 or 25 year CWO3 at his retirement.

Yes, a very good movie. I have a buddy from Dubois, WY. He had just retired from the USMC when they started scouting the place to film. I don't think Ding was in the movie, but I know he worked with them and the local VFW. Ding was a 24 or 25 year CWO3 at his retirement.

Small world huh? And yet so complex and complicated.

Small world huh? And yet so complex and complicated.

It is a small world when it come to the military, anyway. I was a 20 year Squid and my retirement was at a Marine command, HMT-303. I didn't have a big dog and pony show. For me I just wanted to have the smallest, minimal process and be on my way. Ding and I met through motorcycles. I know him as Ding and his family long before I knew he was a Marine Gunner. Then my last tour I end up at Camp Pen at HMT-303. Lo and behold two others that I have ridden with and only barely know as fellow military were also stationed there. LOL So at my little ceremony along comes CWO Dailey and family. I had been to his house and played with his kids and till that moment I didn't know his rank.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a movie called Taking Chance Tues. afternoon. Highly recommend for anyone that hasn't seen it. True story of a 20 yr old Marine returning to WY...........in a casket. 

It should be require viewing for every politician in this country.

Thank you very much for posting this.  I would have not known about this movie unless you had posted this.  Was up early this morning, and decided to watch the movie on Amazon.  Absolutely outstanding!  This movie was very somber and full of a solace.  I knew it was a sacred and honorable journey, this movie showed me it was more than I expected.  "I didn't know Chance Phelps, but I miss him".    My beard is soaking wet!

http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Chance-Kevin-Bacon/dp/B007Q35982/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417005993&sr=8-2&keywords=taking+chance

• Like 1

Thank you very much for posting this.  I would have not known about this movie unless you had posted this.  Was up early this morning, and decided to watch the movie on Amazon.  Absolutely outstanding!  This movie was very somber and full of a solace.  I knew it was a sacred and honorable journey, this movie showed me it was more than I expected.  "I didn't know Chance Phelps, but I miss him".    My beard is soaking wet!

http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Chance-Kevin-Bacon/dp/B007Q35982/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417005993&sr=8-2&keywords=taking+chance

I suspect most that see this movie will relate to your comments. 

The thing is... as much as we despair about what is happening to our country, the behavior in this movie is 100% accurate. At least in fly over country. 

Good folks just know. They will stop, pause, straighten up their posture and basically be at attention during their moment of interaction. They don't think about it, they just know, in their gut, to do it.

Folks that don't - I usually look at them like they are an alien from another world because basically they are.

Mark

• Like 1

The thing is... as much as we despair about what is happening to our country, the behavior in this movie is 100% accurate. At least in fly over country. 

Good folks just know. They will stop, pause, straighten up their posture and basically be at attention during their moment of interaction. They don't think about it, they just know, in their gut, to do it.

Folks that don't - I usually look at them like they are an alien from another world because basically they are.

Mark

Your comment on "fly over country" strikes a chord with me. Maybe it's just my limited travel experience but it seemed to me that the folks in the Midwest(KS, Neb. WY, etc.) display the most universal patriotism. I'm guessing there are less transplants in those states to "water down" the sentiment. Not that we don't have a fair amount of patriotism in this state, but there are a huge amount of people that have moved here in the last 20-30 years(me included). I like to say I wasn't born here, but I got here as quick as I could.