Springfield XD® Mod.2™

D3vo

Taurus copied Berretta.  Ruger copied Taurus. Did Springfield Armory just copy Highpoint?
xd-mod-2.jpg

They don't look too bad, but you left out the Glock influence on the front end.

I just got off the phone with a CSA from Springfield. The Mod2 will use the same mags as the earlier XD models.

This is a very good thing. I might like to try a 9mm Mod2 out. Though I'm quite happy with my SD Subcompact...hey, it's a new one to look at!

They don't look too bad,

To each his own. I think it's uglier than an ugly thing that is unattractive. There's almost as much meat in that slide as on a Hi-point. I suppose that's an XD hallmark though, and the main reason I don't like them. All that extra metal makes them top heavy to me and just plain heavier to carry than what they're supposed to be competing against. Namely Glock and Smith's M&P. I had an XD subcompact which I shot as well as any other pistol (and better than some), but it was just too heavy when compared to a G26. Add in the fact that the grip length on this Mod2 "subcompact" is almost the same as a G19, and I think I'll pass.

I'm glad they decided to print "GRIP ZONE" prominently on there. Otherwise I'd have had no idea what to do with that part of the gun.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 3

If you check the Springfield site, the info shows it to be 1.19" wide at the slide, and 4.57" tall with the standard mag. Not appreciably smaller than the first model.

Still, not a bad looking pistol to me. Can't be any worse looking than the oddball stippling I see done by some guys, or the grip tapes used. Can you tell I don't favor those?

Anyway. I would like to try one and see how it shoots. Not sure I'd replace my XDsub with it though.

To each his own. I think it's uglier than an ugly thing that is unattractive. There's almost as much meat in that slide as on a Hi-point. I suppose that's an XD hallmark though, and the main reason I don't like them. All that extra metal makes them top heavy to me and just plain heavier to carry than what they're supposed to be competing against. Namely Glock and Smith's M&P. I had an XD subcompact which I shot as well as any other pistol (and better than some), but it was just too heavy when compared to a G26. Add in the fact that the grip length on this Mod2 "subcompact" is almost the same as a G19, and I think I'll pass.

I'm glad they decided to print "GRIP ZONE" prominently on there. Otherwise I'd have had no idea what to do with that part of the gun.

At least it looks better than a Nano and a Bodyguard. lol

Um... this looks more like a predecessor, not a successor.

I don't know what's up with both Springfield and S&W. I'm a huge M&P fan, currently own four. I was all excited when I heard a new Pro was coming out, as I love my current 5" Pro 40. I finally got to hold a new one a few weeks ago. VERY unimpressed. I think the stainless barrel is ugly, the milling on the slide, while executed fine, is just ugly/boring. The trigger wasn't any better than the stock trigger on my older Pro, or even my regular 40 full size. This looks like the same thing with Springfield.

Disappointing. Some of the custom millwork on the guns out there look fantastic. I know that there are limitations in a production environment, but it can't be that much harder to make a couple pretty/cool cuts instead of ugly/dorky ones. I'm talking to you, oval cuts on the M&P Pro.
One of the things on the M&P i cant stand are the fish scale looking slide serrations. Why could S&W not use normal slide serrations like everyone else.

On topic though, the Springfield is umm not very pretty lol. I bet they get TONS of flack about the "grip zone". They should focus on fixing what everyone complains about on them, high bore axis and grip safety.