What to sell your gun for... How do you decide?

Guest NashvegasMatt

Guest NashvegasMatt
So nowadays with buds gun shop and these other online merchants selling guns at typically lower prices then what you will find in a large number of gun shops. So when it comes time to sell how do you determine what you're selling starting price is going to be? I recently just went through this with a 1911 of mine. It wasn't an off-the-shelf every day Rock Island or Philippine made 1911 that you find anywhere and I did have a couple of upgrades done to it but as far as the upgrades are concerned I've always treated it much like a car or vehicle when you go to sell it; The upgrades only hold value for the owner who installed them. Sometimes I parted out and sold the aftermarket parts on forums or other places but this time I thought I would try to sell it all as a package to see if I could do it. I put my starting price right in between what you could buy one for new and about 10% under what you could get one at an online retailer for.... I thought this was fair because of all of the extras that I had. Luckily a buyer agreed and I was able to sell it but typically speaking for me this is not always the case. So with this all being said how do you guys determine where you're going to price your used firearm?

I just went through this with my Mossberg 635, I just went online seen what it was going for and put it up for around that.  I ended up trading it for a GSG-522 and I feel it was a pretty decent trade on both our parts.  My Mossberg had less than 10 rounds through it and I had mounted a scope on it, the GSG was pretty stock except it had an after market rail and a couple extra mags.  The way I figure, if both parties agree to the worth of the exchange then its all good.

If it's on here I ask for a fair price and usually sell for about what I paid for it. 

If it's on Gunbroker I set a min price and let fly.

If it's on Armslist I ask what I think they're selling for.

If it's at our Club it's 2x the list price and carrying charges since I had to carry it out there.

If I'm buying at our Club it's 1/2 of what I think it's worth.

If I sell it then I tell my wife I got double what I actually paid for it.

• Like 9

There are a lot of things to take into consideration.

Is the gun still in production?:  If so, its highly unlikely you'll get what current new ones are selling for. If not, there's a good chance you can make a profit on it.

Desirability: is it a popular model? Will it sell quickly or will you have to wait for the right buyer to come along?

Condition: Condition is everything. The better it is, the more it will bring.

Type of sale: Are you looking to sell locally or on-line? Want to deal FTF or are you willing to ship? 

How bad do you need to sell?: Do you need to sell right now or can you wait until you find someone willing to give a higher price?

What's it worth to you?: You need to set a bottom limit on what you're willing to take for it.

You need to think about all these things to determine your asking price. 

One way to get a feel for the market is to check on-line sales of similar guns both new and used. Also check completed auctions on sites like Gun Broker. This will generally get you in the ball park. Set your price a little high. You can always come down if it doesn't sell, but selling too cheap is just money lost. 

Just about every gun I sell is in like new condition. I collect them. I am not much of a shooter and rarely shoot one. I had an FFL and still have accounts with a couple of distributors so I am able to check dealers cost. I price my like new used guns at the dealers  cost of a new gun. The buyer saves the dealer markup, sales tax, and background check fee.

When I try to sell something, I automatically forget the tax and TICS I paid; that's just part of my loss. Then, depending on how many rounds I put through it, I usually start at $50-75 off what I paid. I don't like to move much off that, because that's quite a discount with no tax and TICS already. That's pretty much getting close to cost on a gun.

Now, on THIS board, lately it's gotten to where these "members" (choose your definition, lol) want Christmas presents. I don't know WHAT'S up with that. There have been several very fair priced items on here that haven't moved. I don't know if money's that tight, or just their pucker holes.

I've managed to get better prices on Facebook.

• Like 3

I am a seller in a buyers market that believes in charging all that I think the selling Item can stand plus 10%. I learned many years ago that regardless of what you have to sell there is a buyer out there that just cannot live with out the item and has been looking for one of what ever your selling for years. I sold some really pieces of junk cars for 5 to 6 times what they were worth but again it was a buyers market. I had it, they wanted it and they paid according to how bad they wanted it. I don't do that on the site here cause folks here are nice people and i have a lot of respect for folks here. But if I put it on Craigs list or Gun Brokers or other locations it is always a buyers market pricing...............jmho

I haven't thought much about determining a sellinfg price for my guns as they aren't usually for sale.  Several years ago I sold one to a relative at a fraction of its value.  At the time I needed the cash and he needed a good quality pistol. 

If I've decided to sell something, it's because I have plans for the money.  When I post something up, I put the price on it that if I saw it in the Classifieds, I'd contact the seller to do the deal.  I'm not a big negotiator.  As long as the buyer and I both come out feeling like things went fair, all's good in the world.

Mac

If you look at the two big used gun classified sites in Tennessee, you will be amazed at how much most people ask for used guns. Most of the asking prices for used guns are far more than what I was selling brand new guns for in 2012. I think a lot of people are unaware that the scare of 2013 is over. I really do not think that many of them actually sell though.

Guest NashvegasMatt

I go to Franklin Gun Store, look at the price of the new version at the counter then add 10% for the speed-slots I dremelled in the side.

At least that's the formula it seems many sellers use.

Now that's funny.
  • Authorized Vendor

Most has already been covered but it also depends on how bad you need to sell and how fast you need to sell it. If you need the cash you usually give a real deal in order to unload it.......if you're in no hurry you set a fair market price and don't come off of it.

I’m sure many here remember not that many years ago when used guns sold for used prices. I haven’t bought a used gun in a long time; not when I can buy new for near the same money.

What surprised me was awhile back I needed a couple of scopes. The used prices were crazy. All stores have scopes, they are not in short supply, and they aren’t going to be outlawed. They are a fragile delicate instrument and a buyer is taking a big risk buying a used scope. $50-$100 off the retail price of a $500 new scope…. I don’t think so. I ended up buying new there also.

When I try to sell something, I automatically forget the tax and TICS I paid; that's just part of my loss. Then, depending on how many rounds I put through it, I usually start at $50-75 off what I paid. I don't like to move much off that, because that's quite a discount with no tax and TICS already. That's pretty much getting close to cost on a gun.

Now, on THIS board, lately it's gotten to where these "members" (choose your definition, lol) want Christmas presents. I don't know WHAT'S up with that. There have been several very fair priced items on here that haven't moved. I don't know if money's that tight, or just their pucker holes.

I've managed to get better prices on Facebook.

I listed a few items that received no interest on here, some knives and firearm related stuff that ended up selling for more than double what I'd asked here on other sites. 

For used guns, I tend to go to Gunbroker and look the the 'sold' listings, then list whatever I have in that ballpark. Usually. Sometimes I just go with a gut feeling on what it would take for me to be happy letting go of an item. 

• Like 1

If I were selling, this would be my recipe, determine the targeted market which is key.  What I mean, who are you trying to sell too.  For an example a pistol at at flea market will fetch 1.5x to 2.0x more than what can be bought new.   Usually the buyer is not up to speed on gun prices, and has no clue.  Armslist and TGO, all buyers know their stuff, and will not pay premium.  GB has both gun experts and novices, but comes with the hassle of having to package the gun, and hassle of the buyer not agreeing to how you described a 95% gun, etc.  Gun Show, outside the gun show I mean, as you walk up, those are vultures, and those yahoos are  trying to prey on the misinformed, and flip it quick.  Inside the gun show, the table people are experts, most of the people in the aisles are experts, but not all.  Experts know their prices, and will not pay anywhere close to retail.  Then there are pawn shops and gun shops.   The pawn shops are worse than the vultures in the parking lot at the gun show, while the gun shops are straight up, and usually pay about 1/2 of what a gun is worth.  Local gun auctions, if you can find one, will bring the most for your gun, if there is a lot of the public there.  If not, ouch is all I can say.  Then if you are of the mind that you don't care of who you will or can sell too, then the price can bring a substantial premium.  However, this is very risky, and can lead to extended stay in concrete hotel rooms.

Now me as a buyer, I never buy used that can be bought new with a price within 25%-33% of the new price.  Why would I ever pay a price for a used item, with the risk of a warranty problem, risk of it being stolen, or risk of it being junk, with a price so close to what I can buy new for.  For used items that can no longer be bought new, those are the hard ones, and depends upon patience and availability.  Those unicorns can fetch the $$$ to the right buyer.   New guns, I find it an art to find the lowest OTD price anywhere.  Its a sickness I have!  I search, search, and search some more, and I have no loyalty to anyone!  Trades are just based upon your motivation to get rid of something or the motivation to trade for what you really want. 

As I have only bought and not sold a firearm, when I see a firearm that has caught my eye,

I go on line and search. I look at new price and used price, I do a LOT of looking.

If "I" think the price is fair I will buy.

I wont haggle as I have done my research.

That is only on firearms, other stuff, it is on.

• Like 1

It is possible to search on Gunbroker by sold items. I just go there do a search and get a high average of what the gun has sold for recently then knock off about 25%. I do the same to buy but I take the low average and knock off some, that is when I am buying used. Most times when I buy I am buying new so I just find the dealer with the cheapest price and most times used guns are a spur of the moment purchase.

Recently on new I have had good luck finding forum dealers that will match or beat on-line prices. The guns I order are ones they don’t have, and most can’t tell when they will have something coming in. Edited by DaveTN

I am a seller in a buyers market that believes in charging all that I think the selling Item can stand plus 10%. I learned many years ago that regardless of what you have to sell there is a buyer out there that just cannot live with out the item and has been looking for one of what ever your selling for years. I sold some really pieces of junk cars for 5 to 6 times what they were worth but again it was a buyers market. I had it, they wanted it and they paid according to how bad they wanted it. I don't do that on the site here cause folks here are nice people and i have a lot of respect for folks here. But if I put it on Craigs list or Gun Brokers or other locations it is always a buyers market pricing...............jmho

Bersa, I think you have buyers and sellers markets confused.

This question is easy for me.....I never have sold any of my guns. I have my first gun dad bought me.  I have some as old as dirt.

Ya NEVER sell ur guns!

I have exactly the same outlook.  However, other than a period of 3 years of my life where I made a living of selling guns when I owned a small gun shop in Sevierville, I have always held on to my personal guns.