Switching from Mini-14 to AR-15

dawgdoc

Well, from the website to the comments on the Internet, I thought PSA had slow shipping.  Instead, I already have a package waiting at the UPS facility.  If tomorrow wasn't a holiday, it would be delivered then.

They screw up now and then and get something out immediately. :)

- OS

Well, I bought my lower and received all my parts from PSA today.  It took me a while, but I got everything together.  Unfortunately, I noticed that the buffer tube was crooked, so I loosened it, and apparently the takedown pin detent spring went flying somewhere.  I've already searched the likely flight path and found nothing.  Now, I'm going to move everything out of the basement and search again.  It looks hopeless.

• Like 1

Well, I bought my lower and received all my parts from PSA today.  It took me a while, but I got everything together.  Unfortunately, I noticed that the buffer tube was crooked, so I loosened it, and apparently the takedown pin detent spring went flying somewhere.  I've already searched the likely flight path and found nothing.  Now, I'm going to move everything out of the basement and search again.  It looks hopeless.

well, you knew about it, you got your first flyer early lol. Spring is easier to find than the detent itself. Maybe you'll find it....and then order Oh Shoot kits for this very reason. Congrats on getting it built.

If the takedown pin can't pull compleyely out, does that mean the detent is still present?

Yeah its probably just stuck in position, but will still shake loose. I'd leave it alone till you find the spring. Or just take it out and put it somewhere safe Edited by rugerla1

Success!  I stayed up to 1 am last night moving furniture and looking for the spring.  We have a 4 story rabbit cage in the basement that was in the general direction of where the spring flew.  The cage had hay in dishes on multiple levels.  I removed all the hay, but saved it, and then went through the cage with a flashlight.  I gave up last night in exhaustion.  This morning I started going through the hay one pinch at a time and found the spring.  It was almost literally finding a needle in a haystack.  I had to go through enough hay to fill a 27 pound Tidy Cat bucket before I find it.

One question--I found different opinions on greasing the buffer tube threads for the castle nut.  Some recommend Aeroshell 33, some moly-based wheel bearing grease, some just oil, some nothing.  I had bought some EP Moly Lithium grease from O'Reily's, but after more research, I didn't use it.  I used some Outer's Choke Tube grease on the threads instead.  Since I will be taking it off again to straighten it and get the spring in, is there anything else I should do?

Success!  I stayed up to 1 am last night moving furniture and looking for the spring.  We have a 4 story rabbit cage in the basement that was in the general direction of where the spring flew.  The cage had hay in dishes on multiple levels.  I removed all the hay, but saved it, and then went through the cage with a flashlight.  I gave up last night in exhaustion.  This morning I started going through the hay one pinch at a time and found the spring.  It was almost literally finding a needle in a haystack.  I had to go through enough hay to fill a 27 pound Tidy Cat bucket before I find it.

LOL. You are now an official member of the club. :) Little suckers are sneaky

• Like 1

One question--I found different opinions on greasing the buffer tube threads for the castle nut.  Some recommend Aeroshell 33, some moly-based wheel bearing grease, some just oil, some nothing.  I had bought some EP Moly Lithium grease from O'Reily's, but after more research, I didn't use it.  I used some Outer's Choke Tube grease on the threads instead.  Since I will be taking it off again to straighten it and get the spring in, is there anything else I should do?

I never use any grease. Don't try to straighten that tube. If it's really bent, it needs to wind up in somebody's trash can. Hopefully, you can get a refund/exchange.

The tube is not bent, it was rotated.  In other words, I just needed to unscrew it a quarter of a turn so that the stock would be straight, which released the cover plate and the spring must have went flying.  I didn't actually see the spring fly.

The tube is not bent, it was rotated.  In other words, I just needed to unscrew it a quarter of a turn so that the stock would be straight, which released the cover plate and the spring must have went flying.  I didn't actually see the spring fly.

You never see them fly. Normally they are moving fast enough that they transport themselves into another dimension. :)

• Like 2

You never see them fly. Normally they are moving fast enough that they transport themselves into another dimension. :)

Which is audible to the human ear but invisible to the naked eye. Sometimes it requires time spatial wizardry to recover, by which I mean find it six months later when you drop something onto the floor and go to pick it up...

Just came back from shooting it.  Went bang when it was supposed to, and bullets came out the right end.  Didn't have any rear sights, and the red dot that I put on it from my Mini was too low.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I don't know if I would have had the nerve to build one without your input.

• Like 4

Tiny spring loaded parts rarely land on the work bench when launched into the atmosphere. :rofl: That's been my experience anyway.

I launched the detent spring when I was installing the back plate on the receiver last weekend.  Luckily I was an aircraft mechanic and am skilled in finding dropped/lauched parts.  Actually, I am lucky that one of my 2 dogs didn't find it first and eat the damn thing