Store to avoid

Guest thughes

Guest thughes

Just wanted to let ya'll know of the experience I've had at Shooters Guns and Ammo West.   For a couple of weeks now I've been trying to do a transfer on an old rifle I bought in an auction on Gun Broker.  I was out of town working when the auction ended, so when I got back to town I busted my butt to get over to their store on saturday before closing time, only to see a sign on the door that they were closed to go to the gun show.  Strange buisness decision for many reasons, but it's their buisness, so fair enough.

So I get in there the next week and they take my info and say they will send their FFL etc. to the deaer with my gun.  Last week  talk to the guy (montana somewhere I think), and he's been sitting waiting, hasn't seen an FFL yet.  Probably just a mix up, they probably wrote down an incorrect e-mail address or something.  Fine, I'm out of town working again, but I haul #$$ 4 hours back home and make it to their store by 4:30, (sign on the door clearly says open till 6:00.  They are closed!  The hand scribbled sign on the door still says they will be closed on saturday for the gun show, and to go to their other store, which is a very long way from Bellevue.  But there are people in the store and I knock and this fat bearded #$$ %^&* sticks his face out and says we are closed, to load up for the gun show.  I said "man, your hours are right here on this little sign, and it cleasrly says 6:00".  Guy says (and to be honest I'm paraphrasing now) sorry, hate it for you, and shuts the door in my face.

Now understand, all I needed to do was to get cleared up whatever had gone wrong the first time, a nice lady in the store had looked at my e-mail from gunbroker, and written down the info she needed.  Like I said, probably a wrong letter in the guys e-mail address she had written, or something equally as simple.  But this @$$ %^&* at the store couldn't be bothered to even find out what I wanted.  

So  drove down the road to Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte, and the guys in there were very professional, took care of things in about 3 minutes, and that was that.  Thanks guys.  The whole transfer process is frustrating enough without dealing with a buisness that can't even honor their posted buisness hours. 

Sorry for the "War and Peace" length post, but I just had to rant about these guys.

It sounds to me like Shooters inherited all of their charm from Gun City. I was in the West shop once. In addition to high prices, I witnessed the following:

A woman had brought in a shotgun and a revolver (I wasn't close enough to see any details) that she had inherited or something. They basically told her they were worthless and offered to take them off her hands at no charge. She was (thankfully) savvy enough to walk out the door with her items in hand, but clearly knew nothing about what she had. After she left the 2 clerks were laughing at her and calling her stupid, etc. I wish I had approached her in the parking lot (I'd never do that in someone's store) and asked what she had. I still kick myself for not finding out if I could have helped her out and possibly scored a nice find at the same time.

I won't go back. Ever.

I like the folks at Nashville Sporting Arms. Their prices aren't the greatest, but they're not condescending jerks and try to have a good selection of things in stock.

I pretty basically only have two gun stores I deal with and that is Sumner Gun and Supply or Ashbrauners Pawn shop. I have won a few bids on guns from Gun Brokers and all of them were prior to my joining TGO so I used Ashbrauners as my FFL. Now if I need an FFL in my future I will use Sumner. I asked Ashbrauners to get on the list for Gun Brokers but this refused. I have no clue why but that is their business.

Now with that said I sold a gun on Gun Brokers some years back and  the gun was only up about 3 hours before it was sold on a Buy Now purchase which was quite surprise because the buy now was relatively higher than what i really wanted for the gun. Only thing I can figure is the gun really wanted that particular firearm bad. That was my first experience at shipping a gun also and I learned a lot with that experience also.

I received the Cashiers Check in 3 days and i packed the gun up to ship. Spent over an hour making sure it was all packed tight so it would not rattle or damage anything. I shipped it UPS( Brown truck) Had a store a mile from the house so went up there. They informed me they could not ship firearms and I need to take it to Brick Church Pike hub to ship it. Off to Brick Church pike I go. Stand in line about 40 minutes only to be told when it came my turn that they could not ship firearms and I needed to take it to the Main hub on Elmhill Pike. an hour later I arrive at the hub on Elm Hill Pike. The guy was relatively nice that waited on me and he began to unwrap the package. I told him I spent a lot of time packing that so it would not be damaged in shipping. He said he needed to inspect it to make sure there was no ammo in the package with the weapon.

I watch him as he repacked the firearm and all accessories which he dd a better job than I did and I handed him the FFL it was going to. He put all the labels on it and gave me all the paperwork after putting it in the shipping area. Got a delivery confirmation 3 days later that the FFL dealer had signed for it. Got an email from the guy the next day telling me how thrilled with the gun. He said the pictures did not do the gun justice because it was a lot nice than he expected. He was happy, I was thrilled but I did learn a lot on my first sale on Gun Brokers and I have decided there will be no more Auction sales for me. If I cannot sell local I won't sell...............jmho

• Like 2
Guest thughes
Well Mike.357, it would be nice to think it could have been handled by a phone call. But then, you would have thought one trip would have been enough in the first place.

Is this the same shooters that's at all of the LGS's? (from murfressboro road I think). If so, that kinda surprises me. I've always found respectable prices at his tables. In fact, every time i'm at a show, the owner always winds up talking to me for a bit.. and he doesn't know me from Adam. Plus when the sandy hook scare happened, they were selling AR's like hot cakes for retail prices. no markup... I personally think that's awesome.

When I was browsing semi-auto handguns that my wife could manipulate, he actually talked to her for a bit and made her feel more comfortable about the idea of owning one. You know how it is... the wife never listens to you, but a perfect stranger tells her something and suddenly it's accurate :D

It sounds to me like Shooters inherited all of their charm from Gun City. I was in the West shop once. In addition to high prices, I witnessed the following:

A woman had brought in a shotgun and a revolver (I wasn't close enough to see any details) that she had inherited or something. They basically told her they were worthless and offered to take them off her hands at no charge. She was (thankfully) savvy enough to walk out the door with her items in hand, but clearly knew nothing about what she had. After she left the 2 clerks were laughing at her and calling her stupid, etc. I wish I had approached her in the parking lot (I'd never do that in someone's store) and asked what she had. I still kick myself for not finding out if I could have helped her out and possibly scored a nice find at the same time.

I won't go back. Ever.

Gun City always reminded me of that creepy-ass pawn shop in "Pulp Fiction"....

"bring out the gimp!" :biglol:

TjoAJBV.jpg

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2

Sorry you had problems, here is what I do, my ffl allows me to copy his paperwork and fax or e-mail to the dealer I am purchasing from. It sort of cuts out the middle man. I don't know what the problem is with a lot of local gun stores that act like you are doing them a favor by going into their store. If you aren't in a hurry GunBroker is usually cheaper and only takes a week. I always wanted to own and run a sporting goods store and treat all the customers the way I want to be treated. Hey I know there are some real asses that are customers , but they are still the customer.

I've purchased pistols and rifles from shooters on m boro road, no issues, fair prices.John does make a lot of the gun shows w inventory,, I guess its his niche. I would have called to follow up on the FFL thing vs driving like crazy to make it happen. I think weve all learned theres good shops and bad shops w and w out gouging. I cant say anything bad about em cause I never had a bad experience w them. And yes during the post school shooting fiasco he did keep his prices at a sane level till they were gone.He sells a lot of sigs, used to stop in all the time and look at stuff when it would come in, no one ever busted my butt or got rude w me. Dirtshooter hit it the same as i do.Sorry you had problems.Why not go see John at the murfreesboro rd store and tell him, hes the owner and does care about his shop.....unlike some of the usual suspects we deal with in mid tn... fwiw

Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1

I've purchased pistols and rifles from shooters on m boro road, no issues, fair prices.John does make a lot of the gun shows w inventory,, I guess its his niche. I would have called to follow up on the FFL thing vs driving like crazy to make it happen. I think weve all learned theres good shops and bad shops w and w out gouging. I cant say anything bad about em cause I never had a bad experience w them. And yes during the post school shooting fiasco he did keep his prices at a sane level till they were gone.He sells a lot of sigs, used to stop in all the time and look at stuff when it would come in, no one ever busted my butt or got rude w me. Dirtshooter hit it the same as i do.Sorry you had problems.Why not go see John at the murfreesboro rd store and tell him, hes the owner and does care about his shop.....unlike some of the usual suspects we deal with in mid tn... fwiw

Advice doesn't get much better than this, call the owner and let him know your beef and see if you guys can get right on the whole thing. If he cares about his shop he will at least give you the apology you deserve and maybe better.
Regarding their explanation of closing the store early to get ready for a gun show, they have a history of closing early. The reason I know is, I pass by their store M-F around 5:30 - 5:45 and can't tell you how many times they are already closed. Not that I was going to stop mind you. I did that shortly after they opened and haven't felt the need to be ignored again with an empty shop.

Maybe they should change their closing hours to "whenever we feel like it"...

Complete with "Battle Action Torture Dungeon!"

Mac

No joke. The absolutely worst range I've ever been to, and I went to 2nd Amendment before it got shut down ( you could literally see outside from in the range). They don't call it the range that shoots back for no reason. Got hit by a ricochet there.