Got hit by car today....

Guest StorminMormon

Guest StorminMormon
So today I started a new job on the square in Mboro. My boss took me to lunch at Cool Cafe and as we were crossing the street to his truck, a young woman came flying out of the bank parking lot and BAM! I got hit. Luckily, I jumped and landed about halfway up her hood. I guess I was in shock, she stopped and all I could think to say was " watch where you are going!" She pulled off and I got into the truck and my boss said," you just got hit by a car!" And it dawned on me that yes I had been hit by a car.....

I'm fine, though my knee is pretty screwed up. My wife keeps telling me I should go to the hospital and that it was a hit and run.... But I feel so foolish for not telling her to stop and calling the police. This and the fact that we WERE jaywalking has pretty much convinced me to let it go.

What says you?

Also, had anyone ever experienced this, something like this happening and you didn't even realize what has happened until a minute or two later???? Edited by StorminMormon

Was it the BoA parking lot that turns onto E.Main St.?  Drivers never slow down after that turn where the parked cars blind them to whats around the corner.  Jaywalking or not, if it was me and that happened, I'd of been filming it as they drove away and given the link to the video to the police.

If your knee is feeling bad, I'd see a doctor to find out now if there is damage before you could aggravate any possible injury. 

First, glad you were not hurt even more.

Second, get that knee checked out! ASAP!

Third, yes you should have gotten a report filed. That most definitely was a "hit and run" episode. If you have trouble with the knee, insurance may give you some problems. Not real likely, but possible.

Yes the jaywalking thing might be a little sticky, but I don't know for sure.

Not much I can say about the hit and run portion, but as far as not realizing what happened; yeah, the adrenalin is rushing thru your body, your mind is trying to comprehend what has just happened, and you were probably shaking and thinking something like "what the heck just happened?"

See if the local LEOs can help. Remember anything about the woman? Car? Any witnesses besides your boss?

Get checked out. At this point that may be all you can do. I don't really know. I'm not a legal prodigy, and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn in years. LOL

Maybe it can be a "work related" injury since the boss had you "under his control" at the time? Edited by hipower
I would have at least documented it and have the knee looked at. You never know.
What if you really do have significant damage in there.

After you get checked out you can decide to let it go or not.

The fact that she just drove away shows she had little regard for your well being so I would not feel bad by turning the screws on her.

You could be on one of those well directed Bart Durham commercials. Edited by Dad03

Every bank teller transaction has a time and date on it so they can probably tell you who hit you or at least tell authorities who she is.  Don't let her have time to fix any damage to her car and you can bet at least ten cameras got it on Video.............jmho

How's that knee today!?   That had to be a hilarious conversation when you both got in the truck.

**As you proceed, check your insurance....  make sure you are covered for jaywalking.  Seriously!!  Getting injured while breaking the law is not covered much of the time.  I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do, just that if you injured yourself walking back to the car, that some (otherwise) great person on a phone in a call center somewhere might be instructed to deny every claim on, over, or near the "deniable" line because that is how the system works.

Get your knee checked, and do it with your eyes wide open.  :)  

Heal up soon! - and congrats on the new job!!

Edited by Peace

Pedestrians have right-of-way at all times. When my wife, (who was stopped in traffic), had a motorcyclist dump his bike to avoid an accident with another vehicle and slid into the back of her car sans the bike, (which he had kicked away from him), we were informed that as far as the law and insurace were concerned she hit him because when he left the bike he became a pedestrian. Yes, that sounds dumb, but it's the same here while even jaywalking.

Edited by SWJewellTN
I have to disagree with the hit and run argument. If you got up, told her to watch were she is going and then walked away and got in your car, it's not a hit and run. Sounds like you left first. Should she have pressed the issue and made sure that you were alright? Probably. Not trying to start an argument, just looking at it from a different angle.

Because it's probably soft tissue damage it won't be a Bart Durham case but , u do need to get tit checked out and file a police report, you were hit by a car in a public area.

Yes, by all means, please get "it" checked out.   :)

FIFY

Edited by Peace
I had a similar thing happen to me but I was in a cross walk. I had pretty much the same reaction. I think the adrenaline was such that I didn't notice how bad it hurt until about a half hour later.
My knee still hurts once in a while. I should have got her info.
-southernasylum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk