TN Carry Permit and NICS Check

I just moved to TN from Texas. In Texas, if you had a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) you did not have to have a NICS check done when you bought a gun. Simply show your CHL, fill out the paperwork, and you're on your way.

Is it the same in Tennessee? When I get my TN permit, will they have to do the NICS check when I buy a gun or does Tennessee also waive that if you have the permit?

It has to do with the state not running annual checks on permit holders. If they made that change and requested the exemption from the ATF on the background checks wouldn't have to have a NICS check run for a purchase.....I used to live in NV and we were in the same boat until about 2 years ago....Of course that would reduce their revenue the get from these checks.....

BTW the fee in Nv was $25.....

You can buy up to 3 guns at once per that 10 dollar check.

however that 4th gun will cost you again.

??? Where you get that from TICS? Meaning, there is no limit for number of guns on a 4473. Why would TICS limit it to 3, it's still just a single check regardless of how many guns. And there's only place for a single approval on a 4473.

No saying it ain't so, and I've never bought but two at a time, but I've just never heard this before? Seems to me that TICS would have to be compliant to all terms called for by the 4473 itself?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

OK, I just looked at the 4473 and well it has 5 spots.

I stand corrected. 

Seems I remember reading it some place that after a certain number you had to do another form.  My memory might be wrong there, hell maybe it was a bad dream.

However like you, I don't run into that issue as the most I have ever brought at once was 2.

OK, I just looked at the 4473 and well it has 5 spots.

I stand corrected. 

Seems I remember reading it some place that after a certain number you had to do another form.  My memory might be wrong there, hell maybe it was a bad dream.

However like you, I don't run into that issue as the most I have ever brought at once was 2.

I thought you were claiming it was a TICS thing, separate from federal regs for the 4473.

Yes, there are 5 blanks but you can do as many as you want, using separate page stapled to the 4473 (it's in the directions).

- OS

• Like 2

I thought you were claiming it was a TICS thing, separate from federal regs for the 4473.

Yes, there are 5 blanks but you can do as many as you want, using separate page stapled to the 4473 (it's in the directions).

- OS
[/quote

Unless they have changed it since I gave up my FFL in 2013, TICS does indeed have a limit on how many you can put on one background check.I believe it was 4 firearms. After that you were required to pay another $10 and do another background check. It was tying up operators too long checking multiple firearms against stolen records.

• Like 2

- OS
[/quote

Unless they have changed it since I gave up my FFL in 2013, TICS does indeed have a limit on how many you can put on one background check.I believe it was 4 firearms. After that you were required to pay another $10 and do another background check. It was tying up operators too long checking multiple firearms against stolen records.

Well, that sounds authoritative ... I wonder it that might not be an issue if pressed with the Feds. Meaning, it's one thing that the Feds allow the states to be a middle man on the 4473 checks, but this is actually changing the federal rules for the form itself. And if single form, put multiple codes where form just asks for a single one?  Or if all on same 4473, what happens if first 4 guns are approved, but maybe second time around is not, or whatever?

But basically, you've got TBI making a decision to handle a federal form in way not mandated for the form, so the state can make more money per employee hour. Doing badly what need not be done at all is one thing, but his sounds outright crooked.

-

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

OK. Dug out my TICS FFL Manual and checked the policy for doing a background check on more than one gun at a time. I wanted to be sure I got it right as Oh Shoot has a memory like an elephant and I want to make sure when he advises someone on this in the future, I have given him correct info. When an FFL calls in an instant check by telephone he is only allowed to check three guns. He can then call back and add additional guns to the tranaction at no additional cost. The purpose of this is so as to not tye up examiners doing stolen gun checks on a dozen guns while someone else is waiting trying to reach an operator. An FFL doing an instant check on the web, which does not require an operator, has no limit on the number of guns checked at one time.

• Like 2

OK. Dug out my TICS FFL Manual and checked the policy for doing a background check on more than one gun at a time. I wanted to be sure I got it right as Oh Shoot has a memory like an elephant and I want to make sure when he advises someone on this in the future, I have given him correct info. When an FFL calls in an instant check by telephone he is only allowed to check three guns. He can then call back and add additional guns to the tranaction at no additional cost. The purpose of this is so as to not tye up examiners doing stolen gun checks on a dozen guns while someone else is waiting trying to reach an operator. An FFL doing an instant check on the web, which does not require an operator, has no limit on the number of guns checked at one time.

Appreciate that Ray, entered into the ole (er, old)  database! Nice to know at least they're not as crooked as I feared.  :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1