Always carry with one in the pipe.

It looks to me like a determined knife attacker could very well win from a good distance away, depending on the ages of the victim and the attackers age, speed and agility. If you factor in surprise elements, the knife attacker may just have an advantage since he would be moving towards you before you even know the attack is coming. That's a very eye opening Mythbuster IMO.

I carry a Glock 19.  I have practiced pulling and racking at the same time.  I figure it is better to have then not have even if I don't keep 1 in the chamber.  I have practiced with snap cap's and am searching for a decent holster but at this point until I get my muscle memory to a point were my finger doesn't automatically hit the trigger I am not going to put one in the chamber.

Thanks

Robert

Robert,

Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it. For me, its gotten to the point where if I'm holding anything pistol shaped, like an impact gun, my finger automatically indexes along the side.

Here's a great video for those wondering about how fast someone can close the gap, plus other thoughts on carrying with an empty chamber.

http://www.usacarry.com/always-carry-round-chamber/

I don't think I could ever carry unchambered after watching the first two videos, the second one is definitely an eye opener. If nothing else, I would have a stiffer trigger spring installed or something until I felt 100% percent safe in carrying hot. Also, if I wasn't disabled and was in the shape I was 15 years ago I still wouldn't take a step out of the door with a per say "empty" gun. There are a lot of holsters out there that make carrying chambered safer. Thanks for posting this link BlackHawk.