Any plumbers or septic tank experts on board?

Dustbuster

Am going through hell w a drain pipe that goes from my home to septic tank. Need some advice. I power snaked the 4" from the house to the tank, ran the water it backed up through the laundry room drain. Again, before I dig the tank access up am looking for suggestions.....only 2 of us here at the most,minimal use, can't believed it backed up again. I do treat the thing w rid x every couple o months... Am stuck on this one.
I had the same crappy problem. I had do dig mine up constantly and stir it around. The problem is too many females and not enough water going into the tank. I started filling my 75 gallon bathtub every Monday and dumping it. Haven't had a problem in almost 2 years.

That said, you will have to dig it up if for no other reason than to stir it up.

Sounds like the drainfield tile might have collapsed, or the elbow that prevents it from plugging disconnected (had this happen once at my parents house). Until you get someone out there to pump out the tank, you won't know for sure what happened.

Thanks guys,
I've been in here for 15 years and had to unclog it once when a toy got flushed and it stopped up the pipe to tank guess I'll be digging tomorrow. @&$&@@$?

I thought for sure I punched through a paper clog cause the cutter was wet w black water when I relied it in. I guess I'm over due for a pumpout just hope they don't try to screw me on it.

I do know adding stuff helps maintain it but my main problem is water backing up Edited by Dustbuster

Eat less grains, and more greasy foods. That should do the trick.

Actually it would be the opposite... grease and oils from food waste and whatever else down the drain forms a film on the top of the waste that slows down or stops biodegradation completely and it has to be addressed.  

Like others said its time to have septic tank pumped out. My son had the same problem last week and had to have tank pumped and afterward every thing drained and no back-up. Good luck. Hopefully you'll find a reasonable price pumping service.

Actually it would be the opposite... grease and oils from food waste and whatever else down the drain forms a film on the top of the waste that slows down or stops biodegradation completely and it has to be addressed.  

I was insinuating the size of his dropped logs were the problem.  Eat less grain, and the logs would be smaller.  Eat more greasy foods, and the logs are no more, and just the runs.  :rofl:

Well, if your system is backing up that often it sounds like there is something wrong.  Next time it's backed up get a plumber that has a camera on a snake and find out exactly where the clog is.

As far as the frequency to clean a septic system, I've seen guberment sites recommend every 3 years, unless you have a garbage disposal, then it's every year.  Sorry, that's just lining someones pocket in my opinion.  A properly functioning septic should almost never have to be cleaned.

Case in point, the house I grew up in, I lived in it for 25 years.  Hand built by my parents when I was just a toddler.  When the house was sold, they were told it was "the law that all septic systems had to be pumped and inspected", so they did.  When the guy finished he asked my parents when the last time it was pumped.  Never was the reply, only 25 years ago it was empty, we never had a back up, clog, etc.  Of course, we did not have a garbage disposal, never used the dishwasher (hand wash only), and our clothes washer had an option called "suds saver", which would put the used water into a sink for re-use.  So wash the light colored clothes, save the water, then wash the dark clothes dispose of the water.  You can't find that option on any machine now days.

I had a septic tank at my old house I lived in 5 years ago. I lived there about 10 years and had it pumped out 1 time. A plumber friend of mine says he believes this anti-bacterial hand soup and dishwasher soup everybody uses today is really bad for a septic tank. He thinks it kills the bacteria necessary for a septic tank to work, especially if it's not replaced on a regular basis with Rid X or some similar product, but is not a problem for sewer systems. That does make sense to me. After I had mine pumped at the other house, I used Rid X every month and had no further issues.

Once again, why risk a septic system that will cost thousands to replace to avoid spending $100 a year (on average) to have it pumped?  How do you know that your septic system was "properly designed and installed".  How do you know it will last 25 years without being serviced?  Seems sorta penny wise and pound foolish to me. 

Auto companies recommend you change your oil every 5000-7500 miles and you do that without argument.  Yet when plumbing professionals recommend you have your tank pumped, you suspect them of money-grubbing.

I'll continue to have mine pumped and you can do as you please.

• Like 1

Septics do not need to be pumped.. ever.. if they where installed right and used right.. There are septics around from the early beginning of their usage and have never been pumped..

We had ours for 15 years now.. never one problem.. I know  around here people had theirs for 40 years or more and never a problem..

I think I have used maybe 2  boxes of RidEx in its lifetime.. I actually was told that Rid ex doesnt really do anything to the sewage systems...