Thinking Santa may bring a pool table.........

gregintenn

Make sure its delivered.  I believe the pyramids of Egypt are easier to move than a pool table.  Very heavy and large. 

Craigslist too.  Many a good table on the cheap.  Had a friend about two months ago gave one away.  He was moving, and just did not want the hassle of having to move it.  It was in a upstairs over the garage mancave type room.  He said it took 6 men to move it.

Make sure its delivered. I believe the pyramids of Egypt are easier to move than a pool table. Very heavy and large.

Craigslist too. Many a good table on the cheap. Had a friend about two months ago gave one away. He was moving, and just did not want the hassle of having to move it. It was in a upstairs over the garage mancave type room. He said it took 6 men to move it.

This. I'd rather move a warehouse full of refrigerators than move another pool table.
  • Like 2

I have one and have had it about 10 years. All 8 ft tables are now made with a 3 piece slate system. Slate is the only way to go. Craiglist is an excellent source. I do use the heck outta mine, but most people don't. They buy it and it sits after a few months. If you buy one from a retailer, make sure it's a reputable game table retailer and that the price includes moving and installing. If you get one on Craigslist, be sure to add $350 or so to have it professionally moved. Disassembly is REQUIRED for a 8 ft 3 piece slate table or it can be damaged. you don't want the slate to crack from moving it assembled. I've had mine moved once and had it done by a pro. It took them about an hour to take it down, then they moved it to my new house, then about 2 hours to re-assemble reinstall the felt and level it correctly. I would NEVER try to move one without having it taken down and re-assembled. You're looking at about 700+ lbs for a good quality slate top table.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 3

I haven't used them, but I just looked at their website. That is definitely what you're looking for and is very similar to the place here in Chattanooga I bought mine at (All South Billiards), and who installed mine originally and then moved mine when I changed houses. they do it all the time for a living. Also, I saw they charge $350 for moving with original felt. That's dead on price wise.

One more thing. Most places will have a variety of cloth for the top and rails. I went cheap on mine, but it only lasted about a year. Next time I went with Brunswick Centennial felt. It's amazing. Expensive, but amazing. It takes spin very well, has great speed, and you could spill a coke on it, wipe it down with a paper towel and keep playing. It's made with teflon coated fibers. It puts Simonis in the shade. LOL

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 2

I have a C. L. Bailey and it's been and still is a great table. From the pics on their website, the Kincaid looks to be as well made as the Bailey. Things I'd recommend is it has to have all wood box and frame, no MFD crap anywhere. Metal reinforcement at the corners with bolts and not screws. 1" slate with wood backing. The Kincaide table they show in their photos looks just like the Bailey I have in all these areas. Maybe better actually. Like I said, mine is 10 years old and plays like the day I bought it. Those prices are really good IMO, especially the Keaton they show. I gave 2200 for mine installed 10 years ago and that table looks really nice for that price judging from the pics mind you. And IF it is all wood built like the one in their website pics.

Thanks for the help. I'm looking for a table comparable to the quarter operated ones found in pool halls. I don't need a work of art. I think I'll give this place a call.

Unless you plan on playing in bar tournaments I would look at 8 ft tables (if you have the room); your guests that are pool players will appreciate it.

The slate and the cushions are the key to the materials. The assembly of the slate and the level of the table are the key to the installation. I would think that a company that makes their own tables would have a good install team; but that’s just a WAG.
  • Like 3

Thanks for the help. I'm looking for a table comparable to the quarter operated ones found in pool halls. I don't need a work of art. I think I'll give this place a call.

O YES THIS TIMES 100, ask the Bros over to play and MAKE MONEY!!! :yum:

A work of art doesn't have to cost a lot of money. I used to sell and install tables. Many of mine were from $1200-2000 and really decent tables. 1" slate is a must. Install is just as important as the table itself. We used paraffin wax on the joints of the 3 piece slate so you never new the joint was there. Me and one of the other guys that in he business shot some serious pool and were very picky with our tables and installs.
  • Like 1
I have a mid to late 50s handy super G and two people can move one. The key is take it apart and bring it home and then call the local poolroom and ask who recovers their tables. SETUP is everything in how a table plays. Pay a pro to put it back together. Replace cloth while apart.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one and have had it about 10 years. All 8 ft tables are now made with a 3 piece slate system. Slate is the only way to go. Craiglist is an excellent source. I do use the heck outta mine, but most people don't. They buy it and it sits after a few months. If you buy one from a retailer, make sure it's a reputable game table retailer and that the price includes moving and installing. If you get one on Craigslist, be sure to add $350 or so to have it professionally moved. Disassembly is REQUIRED for a 8 ft 3 piece slate table or it can be damaged. you don't want the slate to crack from moving it assembled. I've had mine moved once and had it done by a pro. It took them about an hour to take it down, then they moved it to my new house, then about 2 hours to re-assemble reinstall the felt and level it correctly. I would NEVER try to move one without having it taken down and re-assembled. You're looking at about 700+ lbs for a good quality slate top table.

THIS ^^^ I ran a small moving company in the early 2000s, I always told the client we COULD move it, but you'll still need a pro to level / re-felt / etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Kincaid is scheduled to deliver and install a 7' table next Friday. I'll let you know how it works out. So far, he's been good to deal with. The tables in his shop looked good to me. He was good to explain what to look for in a table, and to answer any questions. He didn't really try to sell anything. He had a few good looking used tables as well.

Edited by gregintenn

My table was delivered and installed Friday night. I really like it. It is of higher quality than I expected. Mr. Kincaid and his staff could not be nicer or more professional. I can highly recommend this local company if you are in the market for a pool table.

• Like 2