Man Tries to Lie About Being a Vet

Ron_TN

Isn’t what he’s doing a crime?

Yes, both are.  The poseur was claiming to have been awarded three CIBs, which is listed as one of the medals (https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/258) under the 2013 Stolen Valor law.  You will have to prove that his intent was to obtain money, property, or some other tangible benefit.  The veteran was disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct for his profanity.

But deep inside I kind of feel like poop, because I am home and many of my friends are not. And yes, I still shed a tear at Taps.

I'm right there with you on that one.  The only reward I ever sought for serving was the satisfaction of knowing what I did.

• Like 1
[quote name="mav" post="1215879" timestamp="1417635707"]Yes, both are.  The poseur was claiming to have been awarded three CIBs, which is listed as one of the medals (https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/258) under the 2013 Stolen Valor law.  You will have to prove that his intent was to obtain money, property, or some other tangible benefit.  The veteran was disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct for his profanity.[/quote

I take Veterans Day off work, go climbing or camping July 4th and Memorial Day so I can be alone and reflect. My family understands - I'm usually even keel throughout the year and hardly anything bugs me. Someone desecrates the flag or if I ran into one of these jack-offs then I can say I would have been better than the guy filming. I don't know any vets that went out the wire repeatedly and seen action, let alone seen a battle buddy die that would have acted as calm. I'm hoping like a lot of us, after he calmed down that he sat down with the family and apologized for his actions. You can't have numerous deployments and the on/off switch work like before.

Yes, both are.  The poseur was claiming to have been awarded three CIBs, which is listed as one of the medals (https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/258) under the 2013 Stolen Valor law.  You will have to prove that his intent was to obtain money, property, or some other tangible benefit.  The veteran was disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct for his profanity.

Those are dependent upon the local laws, but generally speaking the former would need the poser to complain, (which he'd probably be too ashamed to do), and the latter would require formation of a crowd. Even profanity is protected speech, no?

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding on my position, I would like to reiterate my point of contention with this incident.  As stated earlier, the fake Ranger is pathetic, and if it can be proven that he is gaining financially through his deception, he should be prosecuted and fined to the full extent of law.  My disagreement is in the way that the veteran chose to call out this guy.  I have never been in the military, but I fully understand and respect the veteran's argument, and I understand his emotional state of being.  However, that is where the problem lies.  Since confrontations such as these are so emotionally charged, I could easily see how they could sour very fast.  If such were to occur and a gun was pulled, what then?  Is either life worth losing over a scumbag pretending to be something he is not?  I do not think so.  What about the life of an innocent bystander who had absolutely nothing to do with this situation?  That is something that we should all think about.

Ever since I started carrying a gun several years back, trained in its proficiency, and taken some form of martial arts, I am loathe to get involved into any kind of confrontation.  I can be hot-headed at times, and because I am that way I fear the possibility of the worst case scenario happening during a confrontation, the loss of someone's life.  Losing my own life would be pretty crappy, but taking another's life when there was an opportunity to diffuse or completely bypass the confrontation altogether is not something I would want to live with.  So if it is possible, I try to avoid confrontations to the best of my ability.  I know everyone is different, but that is just the way I view things.

Like I said earlier, I am all for exposing these people for the frauds they are, but there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it.  This guy's approach was just too risky for my taste.

For some reason I can't get sound on videos posted here, I have to go on youtube to hear it.

Actually I was sent to Ft. Jackson, spent 5 weeks of basic there then I and some others from different companys were called to battalion HQ and told to pack our duffle bags because we wern't supposed to be there. We were bused to Ft. Benning I believe the next day and I was put in a company only 3 weeks into basic so I had the privilidge of having 2 extra weeks of basic and AIT. What I think may have happened when I enlisted in High School I originally enlisted as a truck driver, something something charlie I believe and was to be stationed at Ft. Ustes Virgina. Some time after I went to my recruiters office and had him change my MOS to 11B and stationed at Ft. Stewart Ga. My original destination was Ft. Jackson and the Army never changed that till 5 weeks in but I do believe anyone who is 11B would go to Benning these days, and back in the 80's. Now my dad was in the 101st and he went to Jackson but during WW2 I guess they had to use many Army posts for infantry, besides basic is infantry training no matter what your MOS is, AIT however is training on what your MOS is so if you are 11B, AIT is just advanced basic.

About the video, i've never seen a Ranger in that bad of physical shape, also I believe there are only 2 posts for ranger battalions, I think one is Ft. Lewis WA. and the other is Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah Ga. jus about 50 miles from Ft. Stewart. We had quite a few Ranger washouts that were transferred from Hunter to the 24th. or 2x4 as the Rangers called us.

For some reason I can't get sound on videos posted here, I have to go on youtube to hear it.
------------------------
About the video, i've never seen a Ranger in that bad of physical shape, also I believe there are only 2 posts for ranger battalions, I think one is Ft. Lewis WA. and the other is Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah Ga. jus about 50 miles from Ft. Stewart. We had quite a few Ranger washouts that were transferred from Hunter to the 24th. or 2x4 as the Rangers called us.

I get the same thing on some of the videos, you on a tablet? I am on a samsung galaxy 10.1.

Oh, and the Regiment is headquartered at Ft Benning, GA along with its 3rd Bn. I was stationed at HAAF, GA., technically assigned to the 3rd Infantry but supported and deployed with the 1st Rangers. Once I got assigned to Ft Campbell I supported all three BNs. Oh and so nobody gets the wrong idea, I was a Parachute Rigger, not Infantry.

I get the same thing on some of the videos, you on a tablet? I am on a samsung galaxy 10.1.

Oh, and the Regiment is headquartered at Ft Benning, GA along with its 3rd Bn. I was stationed at HAAF, GA., technically assigned to the 3rd Infantry but supported and deployed with the 1st Rangers. Once I got assigned to Ft Campbell I supported all three BNs. Oh and so nobody gets the wrong idea, I was a Parachute Rigger, not Infantry.

I'm on a regular HP PC, it's some little quirk that could be fixed probably easily because I had no issues with that not long ago. I think I need to upgrade a flash player or install a new one. I upgraded Windows flash player but that didn't solve the problem.

The 24th. no longer exists, they are now the 3rd infantry just after the 1st. Gulf war. I started skydiving after the Army, I had friends that had their jump wings and I thought that had to be the coolest thing but at the time I didn't want to re-enlist and go to jump school. I don't know what the percentage is but probably 2/3rds of those who are sent to the Ranger battalions never get their tab and are transferred to other units, at least it was in the 80s, quite a few soldiers had jump wings in the 24th even though it was a mechinized and armor division.

What is really sad is a lot of these imposters, from what I have found, have actually been in the military. Most are some sort of support MOS like a cook or driver or supply. That lets them know enough to BS 99% of the people they meet. But when they meet the 1% who are actually real deal Ranger, SF, PJ, MARSOC, SEAL it is obvious those that lie are full of it.

Yeah, I ran into this the other day. The guy had obviously served and suffered injuries consistent with combat wounds... all the cred he ever needs as far as I'm concerned. But, for whatever reason he felt the need to present himself as a Marine Recon Sniper... ten minutes of conversation and I could tell he was full of *&%$. As soon as we started talking weapons, his lack of knowledge became evident. I didn't confront him though... he got the 'crazy eyes' when some of my questions hit a little close to home so I moved along. Sad really... I was enjoying talking with this guy... smart, patriotic... but for whatever reason he felt the need to inflate his service to brobdingnagian proportions.

I'm on a regular HP PC, it's some little quirk that could be fixed probably easily because I had no issues with that not long ago. I think I need to upgrade a flash player or install a new one. I upgraded Windows flash player but that didn't solve the problem.

The 24th. no longer exists, they are now the 3rd infantry just after the 1st. Gulf war. I started skydiving after the Army, I had friends that had their jump wings and I thought that had to be the coolest thing but at the time I didn't want to re-enlist and go to jump school. I don't know what the percentage is but probably 2/3rds of those who are sent to the Ranger battalions never get their tab and are transferred to other units, at least it was in the 80s, quite a few soldiers had jump wings in the 24th even though it was a mechinized and armor division.

May not be flash, my tablet is an android and doesn't support all flash.  And it only happens on some vids and not others. 

Yea, I got there just after the 3rd ID got there.  The Rangers have to go through Airborne School and Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) before they actually go through Ranger School for the tab.  Failing one or the other can get you washed out, along with other disciplinary reasons.  Of course Airborne School is also something that some units can send you to even though the unit itself is not Airborne, its mainly an additional skill type school not a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).  As Riggers, we must be Airborne qualified before we go to our Advanced Individual Training (AIT) and we must stay on status or lose our MOS.  When stationed at Ft Bragg I was detailed out to Corp EDRE, which had us at Ft Stewart to activate the bases 18 hour deployment sequence at least once a year, sometimes twice.  That was where I first experienced a close encounter with the local alligators and swine.

Yeah, I ran into this the other day. The guy had obviously served and suffered injuries consistent with combat wounds... all the cred he ever needs as far as I'm concerned. But, for whatever reason he felt the need to present himself as a Marine Recon Sniper... ten minutes of conversation and I could tell he was full of *&%$. As soon as we started talking weapons, his lack of knowledge became evident. I didn't confront him though... he got the 'crazy eyes' when some of my questions hit a little close to home so I moved along. Sad really... I was enjoying talking with this guy... smart, patriotic... but for whatever reason he felt the need to inflate his service to brobdingnagian proportions.

Had to look that one up, must be one of them $10 words I hear about. :huh:

Yea, many people seem to embellish their stories a bit, some more than others.  I blame the fishermen.

Great word! I have a pretty good vocabulary, and I had to look that up. I still can't pronounce it! It must be the root form of dagnabbit!  :)

Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Like 1

It is pretty sad. I've never felt the need to brag about my time as a Space Shuttle Door Gunner as part of Task Force 320 (twice as elite as TF160), Operational Detachment Whiskey. Just having served is reward enough. Our motto was, "I could tell you about our missions, but BANG, you're dead."

• Like 3

Yeah, I ran into this the other day. The guy had obviously served and suffered injuries consistent with combat wounds... all the cred he ever needs as far as I'm concerned. But, for whatever reason he felt the need to present himself as a Marine Recon Sniper... ten minutes of conversation and I could tell he was full of *&%$. As soon as we started talking weapons, his lack of knowledge became evident. I didn't confront him though... he got the 'crazy eyes' when some of my questions hit a little close to home so I moved along. Sad really... I was enjoying talking with this guy... smart, patriotic... but for whatever reason he felt the need to inflate his service to brobdingnagian proportions.

Bonus points awarded for correctly using brobdingnagian in a sentence!
  • Like 1

Space Shuttle Door Gunner

LMAO

It seems every Vietnam Vet I meet was a door gunner. Nobody fixed, fueled, flew or changed the oil in a helo, just door gunners. 

I usually ask "Vets" that brag, what was your MOS, 11B, 19K?  Thats enough to end most conversations.

I thought I used big words on some occasions, I have my 8 y/o son using words like capitulate and masticate. The later one confuses some of his teachers. LOL

Does he tell his teachers not be embarrassed, that mastication is perfectly natural and that everybody does it? 

I am not sure what he tells them, but I do know that one of them tried to talk to me about it. :) She was rather confused on mastication. LOL I am a volunteer parent at his school, with two cousins that teach there. Lets just say that I was immediately contacted about it, without any effort on their part to bring in the front office on the issue. :)