Spyderco Sharp Maker

Does any one have one of these or ever used one. I have never had the magic touch with the free hand stones. Does anyone know where around Nashville I could pick one up the best deal I have seen online is $49.99 @Amazon. Thanks for any info.   Andy

Hi Andy, 

I have one and it is pretty good. I really like how easy it is to sharpen my knives, The only thing you have to be aware of is if you get extremely hard steel like sv30 it takes a long time to put a nice edge back on it with the basic stones. 

Also I have to really take my time with re-curve blades if not I end up really sharpening the belly and not the rest of the cutting surface.

Do you guys like this method over a sanding belt? I was thinking about getting a sander from harbor freight for about the same price.

Belt sanders are for big stuff like mower blades, Spots' bowies or an ax They're also only for those with lots of practice. A belt sander removes metal really fast, even with a fine grit belt. It also can get hot enough to alter the temper of the blade.

I'm sure there's people out there who can sharpen a pocket or kitchen knife with one, but I wouldn't dream of it.

Belt sanders are for big stuff like mower blades, Spots' bowies or an ax They're also only for those with lots of practice. A belt sander removes metal really fast, even with a fine grit belt. It also can get hot enough to alter the temper of the blade.

I'm sure there's people out there who can sharpen a pocket or kitchen knife with one, but I wouldn't dream of it.

Knife manufacturers of course use them or paper wheels but of course they do know what they're doing.

- OS

Knife manufacturers of course use them or paper wheels but of course they do know what they're doing.

- OS

Right.  And they're not using a belt sander from a hardware store, they're using a $100,000 machine that's adjustable 0.001" (or less) at a time. 

I couldn't sharpen a knife worth a darn before I got a Sharp Maker. It'll make you look like a knife sharpening wiz. Now I have people who send knives home with me to sharpen all the time.

I think they sell course rods too. You'll need them to get an edge started on harder steel like durell81 said.

My Sharp Maker works great. My wife makes me sharpen all our cheap steel kitchen knives every few weeks or so because they dull pretty quickly.

After I sharpen a bunch of cheap steel knives it leaves the stones all black with metal and slows the sharpening process so. I clean my stones with Comet / Ajax before I put them away.

BTW. After you get the edge you need with the medium and fine stones (on cheap steel knives), I've found that I only need to touch them up with the extra fine stone a bit to restore the edge and not remove much more of the blade.

Awhile back all three pairs of the wife's sewing scissors were not cutting like they use to. Never sharpened a pair of scissors in my life, so I got out the video that came with the sharpener and reviewed it again for scissors. WOW, they now cut great and it was super easy!