For my Tactical Response guys

I have a mere question pertaining to optics on your weapon for Fighting Rifle; can one have a ranged optic on their weapon for this training? I have a 3-9x42, just curious if I'd be good to go to use this during training or if I'd need to acquire a CQB optic for the class. They seem to repeat the antonym of "train how you fight, fight how you train." but that would be kind of useless if my go-gun uses an optic and I'm not trained on it. Just looking for input gents. My class isn't until May so I think I'm good in the get prepared department.

When I took FR, the ranges were from 5 feet to 50 yards. I used a red dot with zero magnification.

This.

I have been through Fighting Rifle and Advanced Fighting Rifle.  Distances were not very long.  A 3-9x40 scope would not be a good fit for the class.  Use a red dot optic.  I used an Aimpoint T-1 and that worked extremely well.  Others in my class were running Eotechs or just using iron sights.

• Like 2
Agreed.

Friend of mine found his ACOG less than ideal at the close distances of Fighting Rifle. You can certainly do it, but it helps if you know how to use the weapon system with that sight. I took the class with Aimpoints and would recommend them.

Gotcha, thanks for the replies all. I think I'll probably snag a couple of the new Vortex Spitfires. I got to play with one the other day and was THOROUGHLY impressed by its quality and clarity. Reticle was similar to an EoTech minus the appearance of that "fuzz" as I call it. It was really sweet and Aim has em for $249.99 shipped. CDNN also has the Trijicon Docter sights for $269.99 which I think is a steal but I think that's a pistol optic or do any know if it can handle a rifle's shock(yeah, I know. .223 isn't much of a shock but I still want that peace of mind, lol.)? 

• Like 1

Gotcha, thanks for the replies all. I think I'll probably snag a couple of the new Vortex Spitfires. I got to play with one the other day and was THOROUGHLY impressed by its quality and clarity. Reticle was similar to an EoTech minus the appearance of that "fuzz" as I call it. It was really sweet and Aim has em for $249.99 shipped. CDNN also has the Trijicon Docter sights for $269.99 which I think is a steal but I think that's a pistol optic or do any know if it can handle a rifle's shock(yeah, I know. .223 isn't much of a shock but I still want that peace of mind, lol.)? 

I just bought one of the Sparc II's and am also impressed with it. I had read some of the first models has a blueish tint to lens and the power button could be bumped on or off but they have corrected all that on the model 2. I handled both it and the Strikefire but the 2 MOA dot on the Sparc is what sold me. And these two products are made in China so the Spitfires are probably even better!  :rofl:  I have had nothing but good luck with Vortex.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't taken the FR course, but I am still going to go against the grain here.  If the 3x9 will be whats on the rifle when you grab it for real world situations then that is what should be on it when you train.  That being said I agree with all others that a scope makes for a crappy close range optic and will likely take you longer to accurately engage targets than what it would take with a decent red dot.  However you are trading an increase in training performance for a reduction in realism.  I'd take the 3x9 and train with it.  Spend a little bit of time before the class on a static range learning to sight over the scope.  Your not going to be pinpoint this way, but with practice you can get regular COM hits at 50 yards with out much trouble.  Train with the equipment you are going to fight with in the configuration it will most likely be in for the fight.  

• 1 month later...

Well I've got both my Aimpoint and scope doped for my AR and being that they both have quality mounts will hold zero if I remove one and put on the other. I also tested that and they do both hold zero after swapping one out for the other. I'll be attending in May if anyone else will be there. :D

Also on a side note, something I wanted to test, my dad and I use the same uppers(Saber Def. 16" Mid) just with different muzzle devices. I swapped the scope to his upper and all that changed was POI. Was kinda cool. At 35 yards, mine will hit within bullseye while his will hit about 3" lower of my POI.

Edited by whitewolf001