My First AR and Build

mrh3s

Hello All,

Figured since I have never posted here, but read for a couple of years now I would share my first build which happens to also be my first personal AR. It all started out around fathers day with a sale on a blemished FDE Hybrid TN Arms Company lower that I picked up for about the price of the FFL transfer. IT was originally planned as a bare bones, cheap as I could get AR build; with the plan being to buy a PSA rifle kit or something of that nature and building a rifle for $500-$600 and being done with it. Being right before fathers day I started looking at some of the online deals, which led me into picking up a 416 Stainless steel 1-8 twist 18" Barrel for a steal. This is considered a heavy weight barrel and is 18 inches so the rest of the rifle was built around that with a lean to hopefully shooting some three gun matches at some point with it. I also like to reach out and touch some stuff with this rifle if I can ever set back enough for a decent scope. Here are the parts currently.

Lower Parts

Lower Reciever - TN Arms Co, Hybrid lower
Lower Parts Kit and Stock - PSA Armory Magpul MOE

Upper Parts

Upper Receiver- Aero Precision FDE
Adjustable Gas Block
Barrel Nut
Rifle length gas tube
Charging Handle - BCM Gunfighter MOD 4
Bolt and Bolt Carrier Group- Aim Surplus

Barrel-18' medium contour
Free Float 15" Troy Alpha Battlerail 
Hand machined 3 chamber brake

20141207_003021.jpg

20141207_003255.jpg

20141206_230634-1.jpg

0d0c6e19-92a1-40c9-b67f-b14f0c44b90e.png

Excuse the phone pictures. I eventually would like to put a harris bipod on it, Vortex PST 1-4, and need to grab a sling and case for it still. Ive put about 700 rounds through it over two range sessions and it amazes me how flat and smooth is it. The barrel, Brake, and adjustable gas block really take away any recoil out of my hand loaded rounds and its so fast to shoot. eventually I would also like to switch out the cheap lower parts kit trigger for a proper drop in, Im thinking CMC 3.5lb flat trigger or a giessele something or another. 
Edited by mrh3s
  • Like 7
Wow!! That is BEAUTIFUL!! I normally don't like EBRs in anything but.. uh... B, but that is simply awesome! Excellent choices in that build.

I have a build using a poly lower, and it's been great. I don't know that I'd choose it to take into combat overseas, buy it's great for everything I want out the gun.
@gunwhatgun The fit and finish of that Tennessee Arms Company lower is amazing. With mine being a factory blemished piece I found one little nick where it looks like a tool may have grazed the hump where the bolt catch release pin is inserted. I have full confidence in the lower and would not hesitate to take it back over seas, and look forward to picking up some more in the future. Wish I had the spare cash to grab some up with the deals they have going on right now.

@BigK I went with a DPMS Mark 12 barrel, I purposely left the brand name out in the first post due to some negative connotations some people have with the company. I can not speak on those that have but doing my own research on the barrel I figured it is more than accurate enough that I will never shoot it to its full potential.
Used to be some good reviews of the barrel on Snipershide and AR15.com Edited by mrh3s

@BigK I went with a DPMS Mark 12 barrel, I purposely left the brand name out in the first post due to some negative connotations some people have with the company. I can not speak on those that have but doing my own research on the barrel I figured it is more than accurate enough that I will never shoot it to its full potential.
Used to be some good reviews of the barrel on Snipershide and AR15.com

I'd just about guarantee nobody here would badmouth another man's gun over what brand of barrel he uses, but I have seen that attitude on another forum, which I will not name, that is dedicated to AR15 rifles.

I asked because you said you had good results with yours. If I were looking to build an 18" AR, I'd wouldn't turn my nose up at a DPMS barrel. I can't shoot good enough to warrant spending big money on a barrel. I prefer to spend my money on making the gun comfortable for my purposes and learning how to shoot it as best I can.
  • Like 2

I'd just about guarantee nobody here would badmouth another man's gun over what brand of barrel he uses, but I have seen that attitude on another forum, which I will not name, that is dedicated to AR15 rifles.
I asked because you said you had good results with yours. If I were looking to build an 18" AR, I'd wouldn't turn my nose up at a DPMS barrel. I can't shoot good enough to warrant spending big money on a barrel. I prefer to spend my money on making the gun comfortable for my purposes and learning how to shoot it as best I can.

Yup, I've got a barrel that cost the better part of $300 and some that were less than $80. I manage to suck equally bad with both of them. ;)
  • Like 2
Im glad to see im not the only one. The way I look at it, if I miss a shot its not going to be the barrel that was the limiting factor.
The gas block is from Battle Tested Equipment. It was their Set screw mounted micro adjustable I believe.
  • Like 2

The gas block is from Battle Tested Equipment. It was their Set screw mounted micro adjustable I believe.

BTE stuff is great! I really should stock up on their stuff before their price starts to equal their quality!

-southernasylum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by southernasylum