EMP and Gun Safes

The current popular trend is using an electronic keypad rather than a tumbler lock on gun safes...If a major solar flare or EMP event occurred is it possible that half the gun safes in America would be inaccessible? Any thoughts?

No, absolutely not. Could be that 1/2 the safes become useless, I don't know how or what kind if effect an emp would have on them, but inaccessible isn't the word I'd use. Not sure what tools it'd take to get one open , but I'd bet it wouldn't be much if noise and time weren't a concern.

Don't most of these safes have a mechanical fail safe in case of loss of power?

Mine does, a key, and a long one at that. Which reminds me, I haven't replaced that battery in about 7 years. Need to work on that shortly.

That's one thing I didn't like about the one I'm buying tomorrow. But you can get the keypad swapped out for a tumbler (I'm going with S&G) and not have the worry. Won't be free but peace of mind will be worth it. But as has been stated in other safe conversations, an ax can bust through the side of a lot of the big box store safes if you needed to get in them.

There is also a redundant lock available for around $200 that features both a manual dial and an electronic keypad. You can use the elock for day to day use and the dial if the elock were to fail.

We can usually swap this one with most factory installed locks. Also, if you ever find yourself locked out of a safe of any type, we offer professional safecracking services for residential and commercial safes and vault doors AND when we're done, the safe is still serviceable and there's virtually no sign that it was cracked.

• Like 3
My safe is electronic only (no key or anything that I can find), I bought it cheap, and when I get out of college and get a decent job I'm getting a nice safe with both electronic and dial for that exact reason, use the key pad for day to day and the dial for back up.

And someone said something about being easy to get into a lot of safes these days....it really is, I honestly thing I could get into line with a crowbar....hell, I think I could get in it with a sawzall too Edited by platham

Only if they are grounded, and a faraday cage only protects things on the inside not on the outside like the lock.

Would have to make sure that the door was electrically connected to the body also and probably also have electrical connectivity at points around the door too. The Faraday cage I once worked with had spring contacts all around the door to ensure good conductivity.

I did think that a mechanical lock would be best for a safe door but having watched a few videos, I'm no longer so sure. Of course, the people in those videos are typically selling something so you have to decide for yourself. However, digital locks are faster access and an EMP is an unlikely event that you're not likely to need your guns in a big hurry from.

Then again, there are mechanical digital locks also which might be the best way to go.

Would have to make sure that the door was electrically connected to the body also and probably also have electrical connectivity at points around the door too. The Faraday cage I once worked with had spring contacts all around the door to ensure good conductivity.

I did think that a mechanical lock would be best for a safe door but having watched a few videos, I'm no longer so sure. Of course, the people in those videos are typically selling something so you have to decide for yourself. However, digital locks are faster access and an EMP is an unlikely event that you're not likely to need your guns in a big hurry from.

Then again, there are mechanical digital locks also which might be the best way to go.

Yes, a faraday cage has to be able to conduct electricity all around it.  Maybe if the lock portion is isolated from any metal portion on the outside that would conduct the electricity it may stay safe.  The best bet is to get a digital safe lock that has some sort of mechanical fail safe since dead batteries and/or loss of electricity can disable it.  I also think EMP is very unlikely, and if that did happen then we would have much more to worry about than a locked safe. 

While I don't crack safes or anything I've always assumed that the electronics and actuators are all inside the safe where they would be reasonably protected. All that sits outside the safe are the batteries and the simple keypad.

Yes, but if the keypad goes it's stuck closed unless a bypass is present..  We had a keybox with electronic key pad that would wear out those things quick, but it had keyed access to allow for battery replacement and maintenance on the electronics. 

• 4 weeks later...
I considered both, and ultimately decided on an electric keypad due to speed. A keypad is much faster, especially at night, etc than a tumbler. If I need a gun, odds are that I need it NOW. If an EMP hits, I will have plenty of time to get it open before most people even know what happened.