Any waterfowl hunters?

Do most people hunt at the WMAs? How do the blind drawings work? From what I've read there is one at the beggining of the season for permenant blinds but I haven't seen anything about temporary blinds. I've only hunted in CA (last season, before I got out of the military and moved home), and they did a drawing the morning of for temporary blind spots.

Blind permittee, the person to whom the TWRA issued the permit, must occupy his/her blind by the legal daily opening shooting time on days he/she wishes to hunt, and if the blind is unoccupied at that time by the permittee, the first person or party occupying the blind shall be entitled to the privilege of its exclusive and uninterrupted use until the end of shooting hours that day.

Does that mean a permenant blind unattended can be used if they don't show up?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes.

The best blinds will almost always have someone in them. The worst never. Best strategy is to pull up before dark, shine a light, and if no one is in it wait til close to shooting time before you put out a massive spread if there aren't decoys out already. Most people tend to not put out a ton of decoys when hopping though. Mainly bc it sucks if the cardholder and 5 friends show up 5 mins before shooting time bc their boat wouldn't start. If you're alone a lot of guys will just invite you to stay if they aren't crowded. After shooting time it's assumed no ones coming so have at it.

On wmas that allow temp blinds be mindful of the distance to permanent blinds and don't set up too close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by JWC
  • Like 1

Normally if there isnt anyone in the blind and decoys are not out 30 minutes before shooting time your pretty safe to claim the spot for yourself.. and like it was mentioned above most of the time if the holders show up that late there usually isnt a full blind fill of hunters and most decent, non-duck dynasty hunters will ask you to stay and hunt with them.....

if you get there and there are decoys out i would hang out with gear still in the boat until 10 minutes before shooting time then offload (you will more than likely be safe to hunt)

Edited by Krull