Dish Network-Fox news

Ugly

It appears that Dish is unable to negotiate contracts professionally and the third broadcast network has gone off the air. This is the third blackout in two months. The other two didn't phase me (CNN and MSNBC I think) Don't know if those phased anyone truthfully  :rofl:

But now I am offended, it's like when public school teachers strike and hold our kids education hostage. It's sickening.

If I lived alone I would throw out my tv, programming at least. I usually watch about an hours worth of news and pay out my arse for it.  

An that's all I gotta say bout that.

That I would buy into, just to pay for the 2 channels I watch would be worth it.

Te way I see it, if there are commercials, the service should be free! Or have the option to pay for service with no commercials.

They shake the customer down, the advertisers and have made commercial breaks entirely too long.
  • Like 1

Seems to be Dish's SOP for contract negotiations.  Also gives Dish a way to gauge the value of a particular channel....  more people complaining = more valuable channel.  I just wish they'd offer channels a la carte, or perhaps break it down into much smaller groups of related channels.  I'm glad it offers a user customized guide so I only see the channels I want to see and don't have to scroll through page after page of crap. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a classic hardball negotiation.  DISH want's to pay Fox News less than they are now to carry their channel, and Fox News thinks they can get enough pressure from DISH customers to force their hand. 

I don't really care who wins, but I am interested in the broader implications for getting cable channels individually instead of in packages. 

Pay for just the channels you want.... Used to be that way back in the late 80's thru early 90's if you had a C-band dish. IIRC, Weather Channel was .50/month, USA Network .85/month, ESPN/ESPN2/EPSN News 2.50/month.  My monthly bill was around $8  :pleased:  ahh the good old days.. then along came the pizza dish with no equipment to maintain and the masses were thrilled. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Sounds like a classic hardball negotiation.  DISH want's to pay Fox News less than they are now to carry their channel, and Fox News thinks they can get enough pressure from DISH customers to force their hand. 

I don't really care who wins, but I am interested in the broader implications for getting cable channels individually instead of in packages. 

You sure it's not Fox wanting more than they did before and DISH saying no?

Pay for just the channels you want.... Used to be that way back in the late 80's thru early 90's if you had a C-band dish. IIRC, Weather Channel was .50/month, USA Network .85/month, ESPN/ESPN2/EPSN News 2.50/month.  My monthly bill was around $8  :pleased:  ahh the good old days.. then along came the pizza dish with no equipment to maintain and the masses were thrilled. :rolleyes:

Ah.. the purple unicorn a la carte of cable, how sweet it would be to only be able to flip through Discovery, History, HBO & Showtime and not even have another channel show up on the TV... of course at 10% of the cost we pay now.

You sure it's not Fox wanting more than they did before and DISH saying no?

It's possible, and it wouldn't shock me if you were right, but given that this isn't DISH Network's first dispute with a channel I think they're at it again. 

The last time I remember them doing this was with AMC when Breaking Bad/Mad Men/The Walking Dead were pulling in a lot of viewers for that channel and all of a sudden DISH was going to drop them when their contract expired.  Then things got resolved.  Seems like the same play here.

Edited by btq96r

It's possible, and it wouldn't shock me if you were right, but given that this isn't DISH Network's first dispute with a channel I think they're at it again. 

The last time I remember them doing this was with AMC when Breaking Bad/Mad Men/The Walking Dead were pulling in a lot of viewers for that channel and all of a sudden DISH was going to drop them when their contract expired.  Then things got resolved.  Seems like the same play here.

Usually when it's time for a contract renewal somebody wants more money....in this case Fox.

After being slammed with a $17/month cable increase this month I don't have any kind words for any of the greedy bastards.

Ah.. the purple unicorn a la carte of cable, how sweet it would be to only be able to flip through Discovery, History, HBO & Showtime and not even have another channel show up on the TV... of course at 10% of the cost we pay now.

Forget the channels in fact. Just pay and download for shows directly. Individually or get a season pass. You'd never see a show cancelled because a network exec wanted to "make his mark" again.

On top of all the joyous pleasantries the companies delight us with, they make tv so irritating you need a dvr so you can fast forward the ought the commercials which now have louder volume! And of course, that costs more!

May be here is where we start and make a stand. We all get on the same page and demand pay per channel, cancel service till it's done and of course get everyone wen can to do the same.

Then we move on to our elected reps! Edited by Still Ugly

If enough people demand it, they'd have to change their business model.

But they won't and that's the problem.

I want a smartphone without paying a $40/month access fee for data.  Where can I find that?  I can't because "the people" are too complacent in just paying whatever is asked....same reason cable tv costs so freaking much....and everything else.

May be here is where we start and make a stand. We all get on the same page and demand pay per channel, cancel service till it's done and of course get everyone wen can to do the same.

I cancelled mine (actually Dish) about 10 years ago. Haven't missed much.

• Like 1

But they won't and that's the problem.

I want a smartphone without paying a $40/month access fee for data.  Where can I find that?  I can't because "the people" are too complacent in just paying whatever is asked....same reason cable tv costs so freaking much....and everything else.

I'm not sure I completely understand the billing but it looks like tracfone let you pay for "minutes" and you can use minutes for data or pay for extra data on top. If you're mostly in range of a wifi router, that seems like it could work out well. Considering it for my daughter but I think there may be a catch I'm missing.

While I do think it would be lower than the cable companies are charging now, I don't know what the prices would be if we got to the point of a la carte cable.  But we shouldn't be surprised if it isn't the great savings we are hoping for.  If cable is on a per channel menu, I think you'll see the cost of ESPN dwarf the others due to their contracts with the NFL and NCAA being whoppers.

I also think that some of the smaller specialty channels that are put onto your packages won't survive on their own.  Not enough people would think to add them, and if they can't generate the revenue, they will be off the air quickly.

Regardless of what could come to pass, getting rid of the cable companies is the best way forward.  With them in the picture, we have a middleman that is beholden to shareholders and will raise rates on the consumer to make sure there is a good dividend at the end of the year for them.  I'm all about getting rid of a middleman who isn't worth their drag weight.  There is no need for them with streaming services and devices like Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV being affordable options.