AK-74 feeding issues

Symbolic

I just search for "AK-74 feed" and got not pertinent results. Nothing, in fact, remotely related to AK-74s.

Anyways, I've had a WaffenWerks AK-74 from Classic Arms for about a year now and it came with 4x Tapco mags. I consistently had feeding reliability issues, which I attributed to the mags. But I recently spent $130 on Russian AK-74 mags and I'm still having feeding issues which leads me to the conclusion that it has been the rifle all along. Is anyone familiar enough with 74s to identify this problem? The only thing I can think of is the bullet guide, but I have no idea how to tell for sure. What do yall think?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"WaffenWerks" is the problem. You bought a lemon that should have been returned to Classic for a refund a year ago but it's too late now. Google the name and you'll find out all you need to know about that shade tree builder. It can be fixed if you're willing to spend the cash.

Bill

"WaffenWerks" is the problem. You bought a lemon that should have been returned to Classic for a refund a year ago but it's too late now. Google the name and you'll find out all you need to know about that shade tree builder. It can be fixed if you're willing to spend the cash.

Bill

Yep, I have heard a lot of bad things about the waffenwerks builds. I think they have been purchased by someone else now.

Alright. Finally got some pictures of the malfunction today. It snowed last weekend so the original people cancelled. These are not quality pics, but my phone takes even worse photos.

I think the problem with my rifle is getting worse. Today I had 5 feeding issues from the first mag. I think 3 or 4 issues with the second mag. And zero issues with the third mag.

SAM_0614.jpg

SAM_0615.jpg

SAM_0616.jpg

SAM_0617.jpg

SAM_0618.jpg

SAM_0619.jpg

SAM_0620.jpg

SAM_0621.jpg

SAM_0622.jpg

Yeah, there is a lot going on there. The magazines are not high enough judging from the top two pictures. Not ejecting could be a couple of things but I suspect it is related to your extractor because it looks like it isn't extracting either.

Where are you located?

Destructive Devices Inc just bought Waffen Werkz, you might try contacting them to see if they will warranty it.

Bummer. I was reading that to fix the magazine seating requires rivets to be removed and I don't have any tools, or the know-how, up here that can do that. (I'm currently stationed in North Dakota.) Thanks for the help so far! I'll try to contact Destructive Devices tomorrow.

It looks like you have some cases which are not extracting at all, some which extracted but failed to eject, and some rounds which successfully did both but the follow up round did not feed properly. This could be a function of a delayed or poor ejection which interfered with the feed.

An AK is a simple tool. I would investigate the following - hopefully waffenworks will stand behind their product.

Ensure no cosmoline or binding in return spring

Replace extractor

Is the rifle gassed properly? Did the gas port get drilled correctly? Weak gas could be a cause of poor operation.

Are the rails set at the correct height? When you rack the bolt carrier is there any friction or binding?

There's definitely no cosmoline, or any grease, gunking it up. I disassembled the bolt tonight and the extractor was pretty strong. I'm not sure how to judge if the rifle is properly gassed, but it seems alright. But the last thing, the rail height, I have no idea if it's correct and I'm not too sure how to measure it. When I rack the bolt carrier though, there is no more resistance than on my 47. Just the carrier moving over the hammer is about the only resistance.

I bought this rifle from Classic Arms almost two years ago. I didn't get to shoot it until 6 months after I bought it. DDI, the company who bought WW, offers a 1-year warranty on their rifles. It's been over a year and I don't think they will consider this one of their rifles. I sent them an email tonight anyways and will call them tomorrow as well. Thanks for your help!