More on What I Feel Is The Most Likely Scenario

A major factor, alluded to but not addressed in the article is the more insidious threat - Human Reliability and Performance. 

Beyond guns, gates, & guards (and detection / deterrence systems) - The motivations and willingness to bypass these systems, using not only direct insider threat, but facilitation of unknowing inside participants. 

That coupled with an archaic and frail infrastructure (not to mention vulnerabilities addressed in the article), it is dire. Probably several regional-level single-point failures lurking out there.

So we're not worried about the zombies now?

Are you kidding? ERRYBODY knows the zombies and the terrorists are in cahoots. It'll be a carefully orchestrated attack. Step 1: take out power grid; Step 2: send in the zombies.

Edit: On a serious note...to shore up all the security holes in our power grid alone would cost more money than ANY politician, even a Democrat, is willing to ask for in tax increases. Edited by BigK

Are you kidding? ERRYBODY knows the zombies and the terrorists are in cahoots. It'll be a carefully orchestrated attack. Step 1: take out power grid; Step 2: send in the zombies.

Edit: On a serious note...to shore up all the security holes in our power grid alone would cost more money than ANY politician, even a Democrat, is willing to ask for in tax increases.

yup.  pour two more fingers, . and let the power grid nightmares get in line behind the easier stuff.  Like cops, parades, malls, Disneyhades, Amtrak, and Ferguson, MO a few more times (see, already have the zombies).

I've seen a few Walking Dead episodes and I have no worries about handling a bunch of zombies.  All you need is a good .22, lots of ammuntion and a 2 ft long piece of rebar with some duct tape wrapped around one end and the other end sharpened to a point.  They are pretty easy to kill.

On the other hand, I can't repair a downed grid easily, so I will chose to worry about the grid more.

Edited by Moped

I've seen a few Walking Dead episodes and I have no worries about handling a bunch of zombies.  All you need is a good .22, lots of ammuntion and a 2 ft long piece of rebar with some duct tape wrapped around one end and the other end sharpened to a point.  They are pretty easy to kill.

On the other hand, I can't repair a downed grid easily, so I will chose to worry about the grid more.

Yeah those zombies are pretty easy to kill but I suspect they will be more like you see in World War Z, the masses running full tilt. Now that scares the bejesus out of me.

• Like 2

Isn't that what the pew-pew-pew selector is for?

You're better at hitting 5x5 inch rapidly moving objects on full auto than semi-auto?

Yeah those zombies are pretty easy to kill but I suspect they will be more like you see in World War Z, the masses running full tilt. Now that scares the bejesus out of me.

If it's a Fast Zed Apocalypse, we're done.

- OS

You're better at hitting 5x5 inch rapidly moving objects on full auto than semi-auto?

If it's a Fast Zed Apocalypse, we're done.

- OS

Accuracy by volume. Give me a 240 with a lot of belts and a long and wide field of fire with a wall at my back. Or a Minigun hooked to a generator and the worlds longest ammo belt. The grid going down is a concern, but I have less worries than most. We have a draft horse so I dont have to worry about fuel production for farm work or transportation. We have wood stoves for heating and cooking, as well as axes and mauls for firewood harvesting and the knowledge to do so. The blacksmith shop can operate with zero electricty, etc. I feel like in light of such an event, were probably in the upper 10% of prepadness, though not quiet Amish level. Edited by Spots
  • Like 1

I am very surprised the grid hasn't went down long ago. Our gov't wastes our tax dollars on foreign countries and can't keep up our infrastructure in good working order. Duh!, But I guess our politicians have great big underground bunkers with food, water, generators and lots of fuel, weapons, folks to keep them safe. They danged sure ain't worried about the grid.

Actually, the Government does not fund the upkeep of the electrical grid. The money for that, comes from the rate payers. Our large regional electrical company is constantly working to keep everything running smoothy, now that the ash spill at Kingston is behind them.

They are replacing coal burning plants with gas turbine plants now. Also TVA is bringing more nuclear units online as well. That is not endangering the grid.

Sounds good on paper, but I'll believe it when I see it. Natural gas is less efficient than coal and prices will skyrocket when the demand jumps. Why were the nuke plants offline? To keep prices up? Perhaps some solar panels and smart meters will save us