Rock Island Armory standard 1911 5 inch

tercel89

I have searched on here for other Rock Island Armory threads but couldn't get all my questions answered. I understand that the RIA 1911 5 inch standard "GI" model is pretty much a copy of the ones made in WWII. I understand they are a series 70 type but with a flared ejection area and beveled magazine well. I hear that they shoot FMJ's  very reliably which is what the 1911 was made to shoot . As far as hollow point ammo , I wouldn't be shooting that anyways in this gun if I got it. Just cheap FMJ's that I will reload. I think they are cast frames and MIM parts.  

Other than all that I listed above , what else is there to know about these guns ? The good and bad ? Now that I am reloading , I want to get a good but cheap 1911 and all I study and read leads me to RIA. I have a nice Springfield 1911 so there's no need to save up additional money to get a "good" or "better" 1911. 

Just to make it clear , I am looking at the Rock Island Armory basic "GI" 1911 (plain jane) model. No bells no whistles. 

Edited by tercel89
  • Admin Team
There are plenty of folks who look down their noses at the RIAs, but I've never heard a bad word by someone who's actually owned one. If you want a no-frills 1911 that will run 230gr FMJs without a hiccup, you don't need to look any further.

They're great pistols at a great price point.
  • Like 3

There are plenty of folks who look down their noses at the RIAs, but I've never heard a bad word by someone who's actually owned one. If you want a no-frills 1911 that will run 230gr FMJs without a hiccup, you don't need to look any further.

They're great pistols at a great price point.

That is exactly what I want. A 1911 no frills gun that will run 230gr FMJ's without any trouble. One that is cheap and I can really use it and scratch it up with no worries unlike you would do to  a safe queen . 

• Like 1

so far it sounds real nice. I was just concerned about the few bad things I read. The few horror stories of sights coming off and bad machining causing excessive wear and things like that . I know there will be problems with anything but just like to cover all grounds.  Someone even stated that they used an alloy of some sort for the slide. 

Edited by tercel89

so far it sounds real nice. I was just concerned about the few bad things I read. The few horror stories of sights coming off and bad machining causing excessive wear and things like that . I know there will be problems with anything but just like to cover all grounds.

I have an inlaw that is somewhat of a 45 snob. If it ain't a Colt or a high end custom build by the big names in the 45 field, it ain't ...well you get the idea.

However, he has lowered himself to shoot my RIA and grudgingly admits in his words "...not a bad little import 1911"

From him, that's high praise.
  • Like 3

I have a RIA 1911-A1 FS Tactical in 9mm. After the first 100 rounds it has run very well. Not the tightest or best looking gun but is accurate.

Good gun for the money.

Mine does have a plastic MSH. Has caused no problems but my Kimber Custom II has a plastic MSH also.

Edited by DWARREN123

Come on, just get the RIA Tactical and you can afford to buy a lot of ammo.  I have a SA Loaded that Rowdy wants me to get "running'.  This isn't the first "high dollar" 1911 that I have had that runs like crap.  I have owned 3 RIAs in 3 different calibers and they all ran....out of the box.  If you need to you can always buy Wilson Combat internal parts and they will be 98% drop in, 100% in most cases, if you think you need "USA" internals.  Rock Island, made by Armscor, are probably as well cast as anything that anyone in the world can turn out but want to bash because RIA delivers at an attractive price point for the common man. 

• Like 7
Guest tangojuliet

mine has eaten everything ive given it thus far hollow points and some wad cutters ( long wad cutters dont like to work :(  ) as per  the stories of bad machining and the sight popping off ( first time ive heard that one about the sights ) it was more than likely written by either a gun snob or a person who has never owned a rock island 1911 

20131016_164949.jpg

Mine is the 4 1/4 " barrel G.I.   It has run great straight out of the box. had to change out that teeny front sight though. This $400 1911 is a great gun.

I'm with you! Those GI sights weren't made for older guys with weakening eyes. lol

After my first range session, I immediately ordered a set of Tru-Glo for mine.

Didn't help my shooting much...but at least I could see the sights better. lol
  • Like 1

I have a 9mm Tactical and it has been a great shooter.  It is not finished as nice as a Colt or SA but it also did not cost anywhere near what one of the cost.  It has shot great out of the box and I have not had any issues with it.  I do want to change the front sight to a fiber optic one.  Dawson Precision sells front and rear sights for the RIA.

Can't seem to import it here, but see post #7 in the 1911forum.

I think it pretty well says it best.

Addendum: Actually the whole thread is quite good.

I copied it here ...........

"My safe is full of Baers, Browns, DW's, Colt.......

I gave $425 for my RIA compact tactical. It's a hell of a lot of gun for the money. It is not on par with the others but I didn't expect it to be.

It runs, it shoots minute of bad guy. That's all I expected and it's what I got."

And that is exactly what I would want it to do if I get one   :up:

• Like 2

It is what it is a 1911 clone that goes bang when you want it to pretty much out of the box. Pinned on front sights have never been known for staying on a 1911 and given their ease of replacement no one really cared until the custom 1911 gun craze. If you want it buy it because like any other decent 1911 you can always sell or trade it later. FWIW unless you get a fantastic NIB/NBS price I'd shop for a used gun instead of a new one.