Sig Brace ILLEGAL to shoulder

I suppose all I can say is boy I'm sure glad I bought my Sig brace with the intention of firing my AR pistol with one hand, it sure is handy.

The day the courts uphold the idea that between two identically lawfully configured firearms, one is perfectly legal to possess and even to fire from the shoulder, while even possessing its twin is a felony, just because of what was in a person's mind when he constructed it, our Minority Report society wlll have truly arrived.

- OS

• Like 2

The day the courts uphold the idea that between two identically lawfully configured firearms, one is perfectly legal to possess and even to fire from the shoulder, while even possessing its twin is a felony, just because of what was in a person's mind when he constructed it, our Minority Report society wlll have truly arrived.

- OS

Oh I know, I was being satirical more than anything

I'm strapping mine to my Johnson. Let me be the first to get pecker blastin' outlawed at the federal level. :) Need to rig a bump fire device while I'm at it.

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Yeah, saw this coming.  The poor man's SBR has an expatriation date it seems.

I feel for you guys that might be caught up in this, but when you leave yourself at the mercies of an agency like BAFTE, these are the results you get.  I bet even Sig knew what their product would be used for when they put it out on the market.  I've yet to see or read about one person who bought and shoots the brace as it is marketed by strapping it to the arm and securing it like it's some kind of cyborg enhancement.

The day the NRA starts a no-joke legislative initiative to repeal the NFA laws, they will have my attention and I'll open my checkbook.  Until then, they can take their "sky is falling, send money now to prevent Obama & Pelosi from taking your guns" talk and take a piss. 

There's a Republican Congress and a President who want's to have a functioning government until he leaves office.  The time is perfect for some deal making and riders to be on the day to day functioning of government and appropriations bills.  I think the President would cave on an issue like this as he did with the Wall Street stuff during the budget negotiations.

Actually had first hand experience with one. Fellow had a 90% reduction in motor functions on his left arm so he has to use one legitimately AND the pistol itself needed to be as light as possible. I know, rather surprising.

• Like 2
As I understood this, the Sig brace it was NEVER considered lawful to use it as a means to shoulder the firearm. The whole problem here is that we have too many people who can't keep their mouths shut and leave well enough alone, so they kept sending letters to the BATFE and forced them to put onto paper what the rest of us pretty much already knew in the first place. If you ask the BATFE whether something we know is probably unlawful is unlawful, then don't be surprised if you get confirmation of that. As I always saw it, I was going to get one and use it for its intended purpose, then if the world ever went to hell in a handbasket, it wouldn't make a lick of difference if I shouldered the darn thing or not. Frankly, if people keep asking these sorts of questions, there will likely come a time when the BATFE pushes to have the AR pistol subjected to NFA due to the potential of using buffer tube as a way to shoulder the firearm.
  • Like 2

I'm strapping mine to my Johnson. Let me be the first to get pecker blastin' outlawed at the federal level. :) Need to rig a bump fire device while I'm at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfFMAtmWb5s

I am not making it live because it is not safe for work, home or anywhere else but the video above fits this turn in the conversation perfectly.

• Like 1

As I understood this, the Sig brace it was NEVER considered lawful to use it as a means to shoulder the firearm. The whole problem here is that we have too many people who can't keep their mouths shut and leave well enough alone, so they kept sending letters to the BATFE and forced them to put onto paper what the rest of us pretty much already knew in the first place. If you ask the BATFE whether something we know is probably unlawful is unlawful, then don't be surprised if you get confirmation of that. As I always saw it, I was going to get one and use it for its intended purpose, then if the world ever went to hell in a handbasket, it wouldn't make a lick of difference if I shouldered the darn thing or not. Frankly, if people keep asking these sorts of questions, there will likely come a time when the BATFE pushes to have the AR pistol subjected to NFA due to the potential of using buffer tube as a way to shoulder the firearm.

With the popularity of good bullpups, like the Tavor, the whole SBR thing is kinda outdated. Just the gov'ment doing what they can to mess with those icky guns. It was obvious to me the first time i saw the Sig Brace. That thing is a stock, uncomfortable as it may be.

Edited by mikegideon
Just put my century arms draco in the layaway as well as an equivalent to the sig brace. wouldn't they have to ban all sig brace like products instead of saying you can't use it like that? What would stop someone saying you were using a brace as a shoulder stock even if you weren't? Hope I didn't waste my money on in a legality nightmare. Edited by Mdunntn

Just put my century arms draco in the layaway as well as an equivalent to the sig brace. wouldn't they have to ban all sig brace like products instead of saying you can't use it like that? What would stop someone saying you were using a brace as a shoulder stock even if you weren't? Hope I didn't waste my money on in a legality nightmare.

No they would not have to ban it.

It is like saying a handicap spot should be outlawed because someone used it as a regular spot. We should not punish those who have to use it as intended because someone else doesn't use it as intended.

I can guarantee with all the media coverage as well as the outrage coming out of this that we will know EXACTLY where we stand on this. Hopefully we, as gun owners, can get behind this and call our representatives to get the stupid SBR laws changed at a minimum. Problem is there are groups of gun owners who are already dividing us up into smaller groups. Whether you agree or disagree with NFA, the Sig brace or anything else gun related everyone should be supporting gun rights even if you do not agree. I see people distancing themselves from those who use a Sig brace when they should be joining together. I see posts regularly, by fellow gun owners, saying ARs and AKs should be outlawed because all you need is a bolt gun or shotgun. Same thing is now being said about the Sig brace, that if you want a shoulder stock then SBR the gun but not everyone can have an SBR. We are our own worst enemies because we try so hard divide, and distance, ourselves from other gun owners when we should be coming together because the common denominator that brings us all together is our guns.  And when we do this it makes it so easy for the antis to conquer us a little bit at a time.

Every single gun owner should be writing and calling their representatives the same way we did when magazines and "assault weapons" were under attack. The NFA system is nothing more than another attack on our rights and what is worse is it is some guy behind a desk is the one who is determining who will be a felon tomorrow. He is doing this without congress getting involved and without a single law being changed. It is just some guy who opines, which is HIS opinion, that something makes you a felon and not the rule of law. Eventually an opinion letter is going to come down that turns every gun owner into a felon so we need to stop this now. Think it can't happen, look at Colorado, Massachusetts as well as several other states where the possession of a certain magazine makes you a felon. And when the antis get what they want in one state they do not rest on their laurels and are happy, they move onto another state. And even though we seem like we are safe in Tennessee eventually those liberals will be at our borders wanting to change our laws as well. 

Another option is donate to those who fight for your NFA rights and I am not talking about the NRA. The NRA could not care less about most of the NFA stuff going on. Even if you do not own anything that is NFA by supporting these people we might, some day, be able to buy or build a SBR, silencer or machine gun without having to pay through the nose or the near year long wait for approval.

http://www.nfafa.org/

BTW, this is the same group who brought about the changes, for the good, of our knife rights in the state. They are also trying to change the laws in the state to make NFA stuff legal and not the current illegal but with a defense laws we have now.

We need to do something because at some point the opinions will be so widespread that it will be impossible to do anything legally as a gun owner. I understand not everyone wants something that is NFA but let me ask you this. If it did not require the government's approval, a years wait or you to pay a tax would you still feel the same way? I am sure most gun owners would own at least one item currently under NFA control if it did not have all the requirements. There is no reason not to have a silencer and they should not be regulated at all.

So please, I ask all of you, do not try to divide us into smaller groups and try to support your fellow gun owner. Even if it is a gun you would never own right now it might be something you might want to in the future when it is legal to own.

• Like 4
Right on Dolomite.

I would love to have a suppressor, just been unwilling to pay the stamp. I would love to have the NFA laws repealed and be able to build/own what I want.

Back to the brace discussion, I am not too worried about it right now. If they ever release an official statement concerning intent changing the classification that opens up other issues for the ATF to battle. And if intent is what you need to be concerned with, take a picture of you using the brace as designed as evidence.