CCW & #2

I have concealed carried for some time without this new challenge.  This morning I stopped off at my favorite local grill for biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, and real ripe red tomato.  Hmmm Hmmm Good!  Anyway, ever since I had my gall bladder taken out 4-5 years ago, when I eat greasy foods, well, you guessed it, I have to sometimes go run to the bathroom within minutes of eating greasy foods.  This time I had just walked to my truck when the urge hit.  Since I was on my way to Walmart, I decided I had no choice but to visit the WM John.  So when I arrived, I basically ran in medical emergency fashion to the restroom.  I normally do not use public restrooms for #2, but I had no choice today, and I had my Sig P226 as my ccw, kinda of large gun.

This got me pondering, do you guys who #2 while CC often, do you let your pants down to the ground with your CCW showing in broad daylight?  If so, do you show your ccw with pride for kids to see, for adults that look for the boots in the stall, etc?  Do you try to hide it with your undies, or do you purposely keep your pants up to your knees to keep it private?  Do you ever fear your ccw will fall out while pulling up your pants?  Do you take it out and place it somewhere?  Or does this thought or concern never cross your mind?

I am trying not to be funny, even though I am smiling and laughing under my breath as I type this post, but this is serious doo doo in my opinion (no pun intended).  What say you or your experience? 

I also try to avoid public restrooms for #2, but if you got to go..

I try and not lay anything on the floor, and due to the weight I just place it on something, tp dispenser, sink, or my knee if need be.  Its not really about it being seen,  but I try and not let that happen also.

With my small neighbourhood here, I'm usually no more than 5 minutes from the house so I fly home if it gets bad. If I was in your position why not hold it (the 226 holstered hopefully) in your hands. Once done put it all back together.
  • Administrator

Concealed carry comes with a myriad of decisions and sometimes even concessions on the part of the armed individual.  Answering the call of nature while in public is certainly among them and sometimes it is an event that cannot be avoided.  That said, in your case, I think I'd skip the greasy food while out in public and carrying given that you know what the result of eating that food is going to be.

In the rare case that I've ever had to pinch a loaf so urgently that I couldn't make it home, and was armed, I generally kept my holstered handgun in my hand/lap while taking care of business.  I've read suggestions from folks to use the coat-hook on the stall door to hang your firearm by the trigger guard (bad idea) and assume this as well as fingering the trigger while reholstering is how we end up with stories about negligent discharges in public restrooms.  At least the kind of ND that doesn't involve first tapping your foot under  the stall to invite the deviant sexual interest of a neighboring Senator.

Try to remain in possession or tight control of the firearm.  You're not truly safe on the commode as mobsters and Austin Powers will both tell you.

austin-powers.jpg

• Like 2

This morning I stopped off at my favorite local grill for biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, and real ripe red tomato.  Hmmm Hmmm Good!

I just need to know what really good sounding restaurant this is you speak of, I get really tired of the Hardee's in Vonore.  

Never been to the Lamp Post. But most of my fine dining is done in Knox.

As to the topic, I put my piece inside the leg of my pants if I have to use a public loo. Which I also try to avoid as much as possible.

It may just be me, but I've heard too many stories of firearms being left in the toilet to lay it on the paper dispenser or anything else. It stays on me.
Have to do this from time to time. I use a trick my friend with a crazy army past told me. Take it off and put it under my left arm pit, Do my thing and then put it back. When I have my ibw holster I take the gun and holster. But when using my out side the wast band I can not easily take the holster off so I just hold the gun. And i always plan to go fishing. That way I hope to avoid pulling my gun out of a toilet. Again my friend who was also an officer said he has sent many a man back to get his gun out of the john and clean it before they left the premises. I don't want to be that man, so I plan on avoiding it at almost all costs. Just remember that a drop safety is there for a reason and if you do drop it let it fall. It is better then reaching for it and finding the trigger by mistake. Just ask Plaxico Burress.

Well, first, I never poo, except for roses and golden eggs, so agriculture & wealth product is produced at home.

But, someone I know never removes it from the holster during violation of big-box inner sanctum.  Depending on the environmental conditions of the dropped trow (and pre-crisis.. not post or operative), it may be unclipped holster & all from the belt or waist, then reside between the shins until returned to original position.

My buddy's say that you never forget that it is there when you yank your britches back up. After the first time, anyway.  Always remember, force = mass * acceleration, and it is the sudden stop that really hurts ( today's lesson - pull the britches up slowly, and don't carry a Desert Eagle under there.)

I try to avoid going #2 in public places. On vacation or on a trip it isn't possible to avoid it.  But when i'm carrying andhave to go #2, I'll take mine out of the holster and either hold itin my lap or put it on the TP holder. Just don't forget it.

Dressing rooms are another story, just take the gun off, hide it with your own clothes( so nobody can see it when your wife/GF wants to see the clothes you're trying on before you purchase them).

I have neither soit don't apply, but i hide my valuables anyways.

CompTac Holster... I try to get a stall with my carry side to the wall and keep it in the holster, on the belt, and keep the pants knee high with tension. 

Man, if all possible, keep it in the holster, and keep it attached.  Always observe rules 1-4 even... when going #2.   :)

Edited by Peace
I know someone that had this problem, Doctor prescribed cholestyramine. It is a powder that is prescribed for high cholesterol, but, it also absorbs the bile that gets dumped into your system when you eat. There were many times we would eat out, get in the car to leave and she would have to run back in the restaurant, sometimes more than once. Made a world of difference when she started using that daily.

Lots of decent ideas here - so I'll throw out one more:

Drop trou, then as soon as you're sitting down, re-buckle your belt and use your knees to offset the difference in dimensions.

It works if you're carrying OWB just fine.  I've done it with AIWB, too - it's more of a challenge, but still better than placing your gun on a dispenser.

I get hit with the urge often and I try to be very selective of my location.  I have found Lowe's to have the best restrooms, followed by a Wal-Mart Supercenter and using the restroom in the back area not the front.  I carry a Glock 17 much of the time and when loaded with 17 rounds, can be heavy.

Going to a restoom with multi-holes (accomadates more than one in the room), even taking a leak, I will use the stall to keep my weapon hidden.  I attempt to use the last stall or a stall where my gun side is against a wall.  Since, I am a pull to the knees type, I don't worry about what is seen from the floor.  

Never to I leave my weapon on the TP roll or somewhere in the stall.  I have been having problems with memory and the through of leaving my gun at a public restroom would worry me very much.  

Extra time on my hand.  Here is some visualization:

ccbathroom_zps23174920.jpg

I'm pretty much a 1,2, or4 kind of guy. I will not place my gun on a bathroom floor. Heck it's bad enough having to walk into most public stalls. I always feel like walking my shoes thru a car wash after some of them I've seen.