TSA: it won't happen to me, oops it did

Lumber_Jack

Flying out of Nashville today. No I didn't walk through the TSA checkpoint with a gun, but I did walk through with a partially loaded magazine. STUPID!

I really did check the bag, but missed that pocket I guess. So, I got pulled aside. They were very nice, said I had to surrender the ammo to Nashville police. It was less than 11 rounds, any more and I would have had to surrender it to Federal Marshall. They gave me the option to return the magazine to my vehicle, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of rushing to get back on the flight. Call it a "Moron Tax"

So when you read these stories of people taking things through TSA and think "that won't happen to me", think again and double check.
  • Like 2

Circa 2008 I tried to walk through TSA security with a pack of razor blades in m pocket.  On days that I was flying I would usually wear shorts, no belt, and sandals.  I remove everything from my pockets and put it in my carry on.  This is the fastest way that I have found to get through the line.  This particular day I was having problems walking through the metal detector.  Couldn't for the life of me figure out what the problem was.  I failed, walked through again, failed, patted myself down, didn't feel anything, failed again, patted myself again and finally felt a vial in the bottom of my cargo pocket.  I had been keeping the blades on me because my employees were not very responsible with them keeping up with them and whatnot and supplies were very hard to come by so I disbursed them as needed.  I panicked when I felt them and just grabbed them and tossed them in the trash.  I did it so quickly the TSA agent didn't know what was going on and asked me what it was, I just replied "razor blades, can't get on an airplane with those" with a big smile.  They let me go without saying anything else, but I was concerned that they could have taken it further.

I never mix travel bags with range bags, but I have often thought about powder residue on my skin though from reloading the day before or the day of my air travel.

I never place any weapon in travel bags, they get their own lock box within my checked bag if I take it.  As for residue, been pulled aside more times than I could count. A few even while in uniform coming back from overseas.  I get th extra screening and sent on my way.  The problem I see is when I didn't get stopped, I had residue from months of being exposed to all kinds of military explosives and not one alarm went off.  I sometimes wonder if they just act like their checking.

Accidentally left a pocket knife in my bag one time while traveling through Indianapolis airport.  I was more upset with myself than I was with loosing the knife.  They offered to let me pay to mail it anywhere in the US I wanted, but the cost was pretty high for something so small and the knife was only a small Gerber folding one, no big loss, so I declined.  Nothing further was made of it and I went through the gate.  Lesson learned.

Edited by btq96r

Glad it didn't turn into a big debacle for you.  

I had something similar happen a few years ago.  Some buddies and I were headed to Jackson Wyoming on a ski/snowmobile trip.  I took a backpack with me and went through security in Nashville.  Upon my arrival at the hotel in Jackson I was unpacking a few things and there was a 50 count box of 22lr in one of the inside pockets.  I didn't remember even using that backpack for a range trip or anything.  I am guessing since they weren't in a magazine it wasn't as obvious what it was, but it was a bit of a "oh crap" moment.  It also makes me wonder what else makes it through.   

I had this happen with a dagger about 9" long , my carry on bag was scanned about 4 times. They asked me if I had a knife in my bag , I said no , of course not ! They searched it again , scanned it again and finally tucked away inside a side pocket they pull it out ; I was as amazed as they were. I have no clue how it got in the bag , it was an old bird headed dagger we found in our house on a top shelve after we moved in it. I have always wondered if it was worth any big money but let them keep it and went on to my plane.

About 10 years ago, I got caught with a 6" crescent wrench, but they missed my 12" super thin slotted screwdriver.  They said I could either mail the wrench to myself or toss it, so I tossed it.  I was told by the TSA you never know who is a terrorist.  My response was show me a 45 year old white man terrorist, and I'll agree with you.  He didn't think it was too funny. 

• Like 1

The late comedian Sam Kenison advises that if you break up with a girl and have your carry on and check bags already packed, check them, especially the carry on to make sure she didn't stuff a loaded .38 snubby down the bottom of your bag.  :)

• Like 1

Brother, I've done so much boneheaded stuff in my life, I assume the opposite. If it can happen to anyone, it will happen to me first, second, third, and ninth. Who else do you know that has been a passenger in 16 automobile accidents? Murphy has made me his beyotch so many times, I just call him Big Papa now. 

About 10 years ago, I got caught with a 6" crescent wrench, but they missed my 12" super thin slotted screwdriver.  They said I could either mail the wrench to myself or toss it, so I tossed it.  I was told by the TSA you never know who is a terrorist.  My response was show me a 45 year old white man terrorist, and I'll agree with you.  He didn't think it was too funny.

well I think it's funny so screw him lol
  • Like 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski  --- white, male, and IIRC in his 40s when he was active?

Well....at least they "caught" you guys.....a few months back I went through BNA security with a 3.5" folding knife and mace in my backpack and didn't even get a second look......I didn't realize they were in there until I was in the "secure area" and wasn't about to go back and surrender them.....

I do have a lot of 'crap' in that bag though....laptop, cables, iPad....etc...

Well heck, I boarded a 707 with a M-16A1 slung over my shoulder once. They just told me to place it under the seat.

Along with the rest of the company.   :)

Funny story.  When we were leaving to Kuwait to stage for the invasion in 2003, for some reason defying all common sense, we had to take the BCG out of our M4's.  Spent the whole flight with a BCG in our cargo pockets, tied off to our belt loop with 550' cord. 

• Like 1
Barring an emergency (or a very lucrative opportunity), the next time I fly commercial will be when they check the ammo in my carry weapon to make sure it's frangible.

That said, about a year after 9/11/01, a friend/coworker went through security with a cheap pocketknife. They found it and he surrendered it.

Later at a layover, he found another that they hadn't spotted. He panicked and dumped it in a trash can. I tried to convince him that we had already gone through security and he was fine, but he was scared.

About a month BEFORE 9/11/01, I flew to Jamaica and back with a 3" knife in my pocket. No one said anything until we were leaving the Atlanta airport when one observant security guy (pre-TSA) inspected the knife and myself as we were LEAVING the secure area.

Theater. All of it.

The fun of flying is long gone.  I haven't been on a plane in 7 years.  The TSA hasn't got any better.  Last time I went thru security they told everyone to take off their shoes.  They made me throw out my bottle of soda.  Damn near missed my flight (and yes, I arrived 2 hours early.)  Besides that, flying is expensive.  Why pay $420+ to go to Florida when I can drive for less than half that and carry my gun? :2cents:

Off topic but if anyone flies on Southwest, get the emergency exit window seat.  The seat in front is removed and you can really stretch out! :up:

• Like 1