va non resident

Guest grubby

has anyone on here done the va non resident ccp instead of doing the ten ccp and if so how did it work out for you.

let me know what you think about doing it or if there are any problems with doing so

has anyone on here done the va non resident ccp instead of doing the ten ccp and if so how did it work out for you.

let me know what you think about doing it or if there are any problems with doing so

After six months of residency in TN, you must have TN permit to carry, so it's non-sequitur.

- OS

• Like 1

After six months of residency in TN, you must have TN permit to carry, so it's non-sequitur.

- OS

I have to look up your vocabulary quite often , today the definition confused me as much as the word.

Full Definition of NON SEQUITUR. 1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent. Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1

I have to look up your vocabulary quite often , today the definition confused me as much as the word.

Full Definition of NON SEQUITUR. 1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent.

Wow, sounds like a gummit lawyer wrote the part after the colon! ;)

- OS

one reason I ask is because I was looking into takeing the tenn ccp and have a friend that is a va st police officer and said I could just do the va non resident and save some money and time, because va takes up much less time and you don't have to shoot, and I called the tenn st troopers and asked them and they said I would be good in doing so. I have seen looking around on the internet that it is only good if you don't live in tn more than 6 month and I have also seen that tn has to honor it even after that

no I do not im a tenn resident all my life but live right on the state line, I was looking into getting my carry permit and a good friend of mine, witch is a va st trooper, told me I could get a va non resident and would save me some money. I would still have to take a safty course and get finger printed as well as get pic made and send all of this in. once I got it back if approved I could carry in tenn, thus saveing me time and money, I asked the instructor about it and he told me the same thing. I also called the tn st police and asked them and after 4 different people that didn't know the answer they found one that told me if tn reconizes the va non resident ccp that it I could do that. so that's why I am on here asking the question

• Administrator

one reason I ask is because I was looking into takeing the tenn ccp and have a friend that is a va st police officer and said I could just do the va non resident and save some money and time, because va takes up much less time and you don't have to shoot, and I called the tenn st troopers and asked them and they said I would be good in doing so. I have seen looking around on the internet that it is only good if you don't live in tn more than 6 month and I have also seen that tn has to honor it even after that

Tennessee issues Handgun Carry Permits, not concealed carry permits.

no I do not im a tenn resident all my life but live right on the state line, I was looking into getting my carry permit and a good friend of mine, witch is a va st trooper, told me I could get a va non resident and would save me some money. I would still have to take a safty course and get finger printed as well as get pic made and send all of this in. once I got it back if approved I could carry in tenn, thus saveing me time and money, I asked the instructor about it and he told me the same thing. I also called the tn st police and asked them and after 4 different people that didn't know the answer they found one that told me if tn reconizes the va non resident ccp that it I could do that. so that's why I am on here asking the question

TN recognizes all out of state permits held by residents of other states. If you are moving here from another state, your out of state permit is valid for six months.

TN law requires a TN permit for TN residents after the 6th month of residency. Since you are already a resident, having been so for over 6 months, any out of state permit you can get is not valid in TN. Anyone who tells you anything different is wrong. The maximum penalty for carry in public without a valid permit is 11 months 29 days in jail and/or $2500 fine.

Perhaps those folks you mention will bail you out of the pokey if things go south. Maybe the LEO won't notice a discrepancy if he doesn't run an ID check on you or see your TN driver's license. Best of luck.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Full Definition of NON SEQUITUR. 1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent.

I had to read that a few times. Wow.

I love reading TGO, hence, the sky is a pretty shade of azure.
  • Like 1

.......I also called the tn st police and asked them and after 4 different people that didn't know the answer they found one that told me if tn reconizes the va non resident ccp that it I could do that. so that's why I am on here asking the question

Keep in mind Tn State police aren't the ones that will prosecute you.....that's the DA.......an opinion from the State Att General would be something quite different though.......

yeah prob just go with the ten carry, not a big deal, besides im sure the ten class goes over more stuff then the va class does. thanks for the help, lots of good stuff on here, glad I found this site

As OS said...

http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2014/op14-60.pdf

STATE OF TENNESSEE
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
June 11, 2014

Opinion No. 14-60

Out-of-State Handgun Permits Held by Tennessee Residents

QUESTION

May a Tennessee resident who does not have a Tennessee handgun carry
permit under Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351 and who has no other commission or
permit issued by the State of Tennessee or a local government in Tennessee rely on a
handgun or weapons permit issued by another state as authorization to carry a
handgun in Tennessee?

OPINION

A Tennessee resident may rely on an out-of-state permit only for six months
after establishing residency in Tennessee. After that time, a resident must have a
handgun permit issued by the State of Tennessee.