privacy plants

none

Fast an inexpensive... bamboo.  Be warned that you have to place some barriers beneath ground to keep it from spreading where you don't want it.  Google it.

Nothing grows faster, however it will spread like wild fire.

Dig a trench 18 to 24 inches deep, sides at a 45* angle, lay a piece of good stainless 24 inches wide as long as the trench.

Lay it so it angles away from the bamboo, the bamboo wont cross the metal.

Or cut and dig up the sprouts everyday.

Take a look at "Emerald Green" arborvitae. I planted some to block the back of a privacy fence that was installed next door knowing that it would not be maintained on the back side and look bad pretty soon. They won't grow like bamboo but they will be less work and will do fine if watered and fertilized. Here are some pics of mine.

309r09w.jpg

207x9wj.jpg

24fxjk0.jpg

15d4yg.jpg

• Like 5
  • Administrator

Take a look at "Emerald Green" arborvitae. I planted some to block the back of a privacy fence that was installed next door knowing that it would not be maintained on the back side and look bad pretty soon. They won't grow like bamboo but they will be less work and will do fine if watered and fertilized. Here are some pics of mine.

What's the time lapse between the first photo and the last?

I believe that I planted them in '02 or '03 also in 1 gal containers. The first picture was after a year or two in the ground. The last picture was this past summer. They top out at 12' to 15'. 

I planted mine in a straight line but if there is room they can be planted in 2 rows in a zig zag that will fill the gaps quicker. Leylands will grow faster but have many issues. I know because I have a row of them across the back property line here.

Nothing grows faster, however it will spread like wild fire.
Dig a trench 18 to 24 inches deep, sides at a 45* angle, lay a piece of good stainless 24 inches wide as long as the trench.
Lay it so it angles away from the bamboo, the bamboo wont cross the metal.
Or cut and dig up the sprouts everyday.

I bought a house with a stand of running bamboo in the back corner of the yard, and it is aggressive. You definitely want to heed the warning regarding a rhizome barrier. I've been told that the seams need to be joined, too.

You didn't mention if you wanted a movement barrier or a sight barrier. Running bamboo may not prevent encroachment onto your property, but it will slow down larger creatures (think medium sized dogs and up). Another option for a sight barrier is ornamental grass. You'll want to be sure to pick a tall variety that's suitable for your climate zone. Similar to the advice on arbor vitae, it's best to plant staggered rows.

Can you mow it? I am looking for something along the sides of our property. When I say mow it can you just hit the unwanted growth area with a rear cut mower?

Thanks

Yes.  Bamboo is soft until its several weeks old and quite tall.  Ive mowed it down at hip height without issue, just pushes over and its gone. 

If you let it develop "bark" or "become hard" or whatever it does, its another story.  You can't push it over, and you can't begin to mow it.  At that point its 1 at a time with a saw or loppers or something.    Mind you .. hip high is like 1, maybe 2 weeks...

Edited by Jonnin

Be mean, plant Kudzu! 

I don't hate many things in life, but I do HATE Kuzu.  That is the original SE Asia invasion!

You and me both, we do not have any on our place, and I will use gas to kill and burn it out.

What is the maximum height and width allowable? Is it full sun? Does the soil have good drainage or does it hold water?

I highly advise against Leyand cypress; they get uglier the bigger the get and they have problems with cankers, bag worms,needle blight, and Phytophthora and Annosus root rots. Emerald Green or Green Giant Arborvitae would be a great Leyland substitute. All of this assuming 25' plus is not too tall. If you want a shrub look into Eleagnus, a very disease resistant shrub that grows two feet a year and stops at about 16'. It is evergreen of course and has a very fragrant smell in the fall. Some people believe that Eleagnus is invasive, and some varieties are. Any variety at a local garden center should be fine. Chase Viburnum is a great Eleagnus substitute as well.

Leyland Cypress, fast growing evergreen that provides privacy. The only downfall I know of is bag worms.

I used the same thing for my property line with my neighbors. Worked great and the plus side is that if I ever forget to get a christmas tree one year I could probably just cut one of those bad boys down and nobody would know the difference  :rofl:

Pyracantha and Barberry are pleasing to the eye, especially when blooming or bearing (berries), and they both grow rather quickly-- they are quite trainable as large shrubs without getting out of hand (like bamboo or kudzu might).

An added bonus is that they are both very, very thorny (more-so than holly, and they grow much faster than holly), and about the only thing that can get through them unscathed is Br'er Rabbit--and only because he was born in a briarpatch ;) -- making them a very good deterrent against trespassing through the hedgerow.

Not recommended if you intend to play flag football anywhere in the vicinity-- one crash into these shrubs and you'll feel like you just sumo-wrestled with a porcupine.

Note-- there are some hybrid barberrys that do not have thorns-- be sure you pick the right ones. Both Pyracantha and Barberry will grow easily in the Tennessee Hardy zones and are sturdy, requiring little care.

Edited by tartanphantom

Fast growing visual blocker? Crepe Myrtle.

Stuff grows like a weed. Can be planted a foot apart and will grow 20ft tall and be so thick you can't walk through it. Think about how many people you see cut it down to a couple ft tall in the fall and how high it is by summer.

Sandcherry bushes. Nice deep color and grow like a weed. I clipped mine before the first freeze a couple of months back and they have already sprouted up another 1'. 

If you can wait a month of so go visit the flea market across from Cedars of Lebanon/Cedar Forrest. Best prices on trees/bushes/plants in the area

http://www.lowes.com/pd_102974-1449-NURSERY_0__?productId=3574982

I bought a house with a stand of running bamboo in the back corner of the yard, and it is aggressive. You definitely want to heed the warning regarding a rhizome barrier. I've been told that the seams need to be joined, too.
You didn't mention if you wanted a movement barrier or a sight barrier. Running bamboo may not prevent encroachment onto your property, but it will slow down larger creatures (think medium sized dogs and up). Another option for a sight barrier is ornamental grass. You'll want to be sure to pick a tall variety that's suitable for your climate zone. Similar to the advice on arbor vitae, it's best to plant staggered rows.

Ideally I would like a visual barrier. I don't mind mowing down the line I do it about once a week when its nice out any way. I just want something to block out the salvage yard next door. I have about 150 feet I really want to block as soon as possible. Figured I could run it the length of the property while I was at it. So low cost is really important.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions they are much appreciated.
Salvage yard indeed. Let me see 6 trucks several cars assorted trash. Understanding that stuff might have some value to him. But the main thing I am trying to achieve is privacy. For some reason they seem to be so enthralled in our lives we can hardly go outside with him wanting to know what we are doing? Not sure what ever happened to minding your own business?