what powder for .38/.357?

I have never reloaded, but I do have a Rock Chucker Supreme ordered from Amazon. It should be here by the end of January. In the meantime, I am researching powders/bullets/primers.

I plan to reload .38 specials to start with then move on to .357 and perhaps S&W .40. These will all be target loads, not hunting or self defense. I am learning two things: there are a LOT of different powders, and pistol powders seem to be very hard to find.

So, my question is: what powder do I need to be on the lookout for that could be used in all the above calibers?

Thanks, Terry

There's no one powder that will be optimum for all three. Unique would suffice, but you'd be giving up something you shouldn't have to.

I like Bullseye for 38 special target loads.

Lately, what you can find is more of a problem than what you might want. Pistol powder seems to be in short supply for some reason.

If you're going to the trouble to get set up for reloading, you should take full advantage of the variety available and not limit yourself to one powder.

Edited by gregintenn
Just about any standard pistol powder will be usable. For all around, Unique is hard to beat. Bullseye is my favorite powder, easy metering and versatility. In today's world, buy what you can and scour reputable manuals to find the data you need. .38 is where I started and is about as easy and rewarding as it gets. I'll recommend one thing that'll make your life easier, order a a separate crimp die regardless of the brand dies you buy and specifically the Redding Profile Crimp for .38/357. You can thank me later :) Edited by Jct1911
  • Like 1

I like 231 for 38 special loads... Havin said that; its hard to beat Unique... Make sure you firmly roll crimp these loads... The Unique is bad to have unburned or toasted powder flakes if ya dont... My favorite load for the 158 grain swc is 5 grains of Unique or 4.5 grains of 231...

Have fun...

leroy

• Like 1

My ideal pistol powder trinity:

Bullseye-for light target loads.

Unique-a good all around mid range powder

W296-for full power magnum loads.

There are a host of other fine powders, and this list doesn't mean these three powders are the end all be all of reloading. That being said, there is very little these three won't do and do well.

Edited by gregintenn

I like Bullseye, Winchester 231 and Unique as they are all pretty versatile powders for reloading most handgun calibers. Back many years ago I seem to recall using Red Dot to load up .357 loads and had reasonable success with it. As has been stated, in a tough market, you might have to just buy what's available and pick up a preferred powder later as it becomes more available. 

I have used Bullseye a lot in the past for 38 spl. target loads.  It has been really hard to find.  I just picked up some Titegroup that I plan to use.  Right now if you reload you need to be flexible on powders.  I am not looking forward to developing new loads but the alternative is nothing to shoot.

You need to take a smart phone to google what powders are available. You may be limited to what is available. Otherwise, I like Unique because it is fluffy enough to easily spot a double charge. It is also easy to meter and find recipes for just about every handgun caliber.

This just goes to show you,ask a question on a forum and get many diff answers.

Get you a reload book, always ask questions, you will get answers.

Do not use data that is not proven in a reload book.

The powder web sites list load data that works.

My answer, I use Titegroup for ALL my pistols.

It works well for what I do.

I do have other powders, Green Dot, W296 and a few others, but Titegroup is my goto powder.

I have never reloaded, but I do have a Rock Chucker Supreme ordered from Amazon. It should be here by the end of January. In the meantime, I am researching powders/bullets/primers.

I plan to reload .38 specials to start with then move on to .357 and perhaps S&W .40. These will all be target loads, not hunting or self defense. I am learning two things: there are a LOT of different powders, and pistol powders seem to be very hard to find.

So, my question is: what powder do I need to be on the lookout for that could be used in all the above calibers?

Thanks, Terry

40 is aggravating.   Its a round with very, very little room to experiment and play ... just a few bullet weights, and just a few velocities for them.   My advice would be to figure out 3 or 4 powders for your .40 load, then cross reference back to see which of those have data for the 38 and 357.   You should be able to find a powder that will "work" in all 3, but it will not be "ideal" for full magnum 357 loads.   To punch paper for fun, its very doable to use one for all 3. 

Something like Accurate #5 or #7,  win 231, power pistol might work in all 3?  Again, cross reference is your key.  The online data is out there -- each powder manufacturer has it online free now, and there are sites for recipes that you should not trust (without checking the loads against known data) that might offer some insight as well.   Or if you have a  full manual, use that of course.   An hour or so of cross references should provide at least 5 or so that will work.

Good advice from Jonnin. AA 5 and 7 are now my go-to powders for 40, and #5 works in 38. Titegroup is about the only one I would add that works well for both.

Like the others I LOVE Bullseye and 231/HP38 for 38 and 357 mild to medium. H110/296 and 2400 for hot 357 stuff.

40 is aggravating. Its a round with very, very little room to experiment and play ... just a few bullet weights, and just a few velocities for them. My advice would be to figure out 3 or 4 powders for your .40 load, then cross reference back to see which of those have data for the 38 and 357. You should be able to find a powder that will "work" in all 3, but it will not be "ideal" for full magnum 357 loads. To punch paper for fun, its very doable to use one for all 3.

Something like Accurate #5 or #7, win 231, power pistol might work in all 3? Again, cross reference is your key. The online data is out there -- each powder manufacturer has it online free now, and there are sites for recipes that you should not trust (without checking the loads against known data) that might offer some insight as well. Or if you have a full manual, use that of course. An hour or so of cross references should provide at least 5 or so that will work.

I'd go as far to say that AA5 is "the" powder for .40. It's actually the only powder I use in my 2011. But the range of bullet weights exceeds many cartridges. I've run 135-200grs weights from mild to wild. I prefer slow and heavy though so I run 200's at published low data.

I only mildly like it in .38, it just doesn't burn well until your in the +p territory or running in longer barrels, works great with 158's in 38 with lever gun in .357. In .357 it's just OK, no top velocity, minimal case fill and works best near max.

Ya can save yourself a lot of work by lookin at the factory ballistics by bullet weight for semiauto pistols, then takin a look at the various reloading manuals to find a load that duplicates the factory ballistics...

Semiautos ain't like revolvers; they are designed around a specific cartridge with specific bullet weights and velocity requirements --- revolvers will shoot most anything that wont get stuck in the barrel or will blow the cylinder up...

My "go to" load with the 40 S & W is a 180 grain jacketed bullet (...anybodies...) and 6.5 grains of Unique... It works like a charm in my Glock 27...

Hope this helps a bit...

leroy

My "go to" load with the 40 S & W is a 180 grain jacketed bullet (...anybodies...) and 6.5 grains of Unique... It works like a charm in my Glock 27...

Hope this helps a bit...
leroy

That's a favorite of mine, but until powder becomes more plentiful I will not waist powder on loading 9 or 40. Otherwise, I enjoy loading .40 and find it as tweakable as other loads. There is a lot of savings to be had rolling your own .38/.357 so I focus on them nowadays.
  • Like 1

Just to give everyone an update, I bought (2) 1 pound containers of Unique, 1,000 Remington 1.5 primers and 200 Remington 5.5 primers along with 250 Berrys 125 gr.FP bullets from Outpost Armory. Waiting for the reloading press to arrive...Jim said it was the first Unique he has had in a year and they didn't expect another shipment in for six months.