Truck Transmission - leaking :(

kckndrgn

So, it was time to change the oil in my truck yesterday (F150, SuperCrew, 4x4) and while under the truck I do a visual check of most everything.  Well, I noticed the pan on the transmission was a bit "wet".  Scooting back I notice that the back part of the transmission is dripping.  Touch the liquid with my finger, red, yup tranny fluid is leaking :(

My normal shop I would go to is closed, so I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow.  I did find a TSB for a known leak, so hoping that is the problem.  And wouldn't you know that my extended warranty expired around the 15th of the month (went over 100k mi).

If I had a better place to work on it and a better skill set, I would prolly tackle the job, but quite frankly, I just don't like working on my vehicles.  Seems like every time I try to fix one problem, I find 2 more that need to be addressed. :(

Unless there is a pool of fluid under it, I wouldn't worry much about it. Seepage is common, and isn't really a problem. A genuine leak that necessitates you adding fluid regularly needs to be repaired.

If the leak is coming from the TSB then it would necessitate repair, and I wont know that until I get it looked at.

While not a pool, there are droplets hanging from the pan.  And that is after the truck sat for 2 days.

Wont say that I've ever heard that seepage from a transmission is normal, it's a sealed system.

If the leak is coming from the TSB then it would necessitate repair, and I wont know that until I get it looked at.

While not a pool, there are droplets hanging from the pan.  And that is after the truck sat for 2 days.

Wont say that I've ever heard that seepage from a transmission is normal, it's a sealed system.

Depends on the mileage...its fairly common on higher mile vehicles to have rear diff leaks, rear main seal leaks, and transmission leaks.

With that said, it not something you just want to forget about but if its not dropping a lot of fluid you are good for a while.

Edited by tennesseetiger
  • Like 1

I was a certified mechanic for over 35 years and I have never seen a transmission or engine that did not sweat or seep oil or fluids at some point. During the 100,000 miles, how many times did you have the transmission serviced. My son is a professional transmission builder and he was just here while I was reading this. He is the one that asked if it had ever been serviced. There are gaskets between the tranny pan and tranny. There are gaskets between the transmission and transfer case and transmission. There are front and rear seals with rubber or neoprene seals and any one of them parts can seep and sweat fluids eventually.  My son said it probably is not something to really panic over but it is something that will require some attention pretty soon because it will not fix it'self.  He also said you may want to contact your warranty company since it happened so close to the warranty running out that the issue may have been there prior to the warranty running out and they may still be responsible for it. A good mechanic can tell you how long it has actually been leaking and that information given to the warranty company may help you..............Good luck with it which ever way you have to go................. :up: :up:

If this leak is where the drive shaft goes into the spline, this is the easiest seal to replace when it comes to transmissions.  I am sure Youtube has a video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8zYcBpP9xU

If this leak is where the drive shaft goes into the spline, this is the easiest seal to replace when it comes to transmissions.  I am sure Youtube has a video. 

It can be a little more complicated on the F150 since it is a 4X4 and access to the rear seal can be a little more of an issue but not really a major repair if that is all it is...................jmho

Depends on the mileage...its fairly common on higher mile vehicles to have rear diff leaks, rear main seal leaks, and transmission leaks.

With that said, it not something you just want to forget about but if its not dropping a lot of fluid you are good for a while.

Just over 100k miles.  Appears enough of a leak to leave spots in my parking spot at work (noticed today because I was looking for it, and I almost always park in the same spot)

I was a certified mechanic for over 35 years and I have never seen a transmission or engine that did not sweat or seep oil or fluids at some point. During the 100,000 miles, how many times did you have the transmission serviced. My son is a professional transmission builder and he was just here while I was reading this. He is the one that asked if it had ever been serviced. There are gaskets between the tranny pan and tranny. There are gaskets between the transmission and transfer case and transmission. There are front and rear seals with rubber or neoprene seals and any one of them parts can seep and sweat fluids eventually.  My son said it probably is not something to really panic over but it is something that will require some attention pretty soon because it will not fix it'self.  He also said you may want to contact your warranty company since it happened so close to the warranty running out that the issue may have been there prior to the warranty running out and they may still be responsible for it. A good mechanic can tell you how long it has actually been leaking and that information given to the warranty company may help you..............Good luck with it which ever way you have to go................. :up: :up:

No service done to it that I know of, and I bought the truck with under 20k miles on it.  So at 100k, I should be due for a change of the transmission filter, I think.

I'll find out about the warranty, thanks for the tip.

I can't tell where the main leak is, could be the seal between the pan and the housing.  Which would be replaced if I just did a drain and fill of the fluid.

Here's a vid of the bulk head seal replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JImNJLjy9E

I may just end up doing this myself

Adding the fluid back in looks like it will be a pain tho :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRDSQCklCHI&src_vid=3JImNJLjy9E&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3880024415

• Like 1

BTW, the last transmission filter I replaced was on an '88 F150.  It had less than 100k miles on it but the pan gasket was leaking so I figured while I was there I'd do the filter too.  Broke 2 of the bolts taking the pan off, that was a major PIA.

edited to add:

Just watched this video on replacing the filter.   The gasket is reusable?  That's a new one for me.  So the only cost would be the filter, fluid and the new pass through seal. and my time laying on my back under my truck :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQe11789HsQ

Edited by kckndrgn
On my F150 it was leaking between the transfer case and transmission. I let it go for a while until I was having to put a quart in it every week. It was a pain getting the transfer case out, but after I put the new gaskets in it stayed bone dry. Also, make sure you use straight Mercon V and not the Dex/Merc when you refill. The Dex/Merc made my truck shift awful. Good luck with your repairs.

No ####?!!?? :dropjaw: Why? I've NEVER changed transmission fluid or filter, and to date have never had a transmission problem.

Heres the maintenance schedule for my H1 and a HMMWV is exactly the same.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/Scheduled/scheduledMaint.htm

BTW, if you didn't know what HMMWV stands for here you go:
High-Maintenance-Money-Wasting-Vehicle
  • Like 2

Finished up the fix today.  Reused the gasket and replaced the leaking bulkhead pass through seal.  Man, I hate working under the vehicle.  Didn't help that to refill the fluid was a total PIA.  Almost as bad as Ford KNOWING the seal is bad, but wont pay to have it fixed.

All in all, I was down about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart of fluid, so not bad, but I had a piece of cardboard under the tranny last night and it had a pretty good soaking of fluid.  Glad I did this now and didn't wait.

• Like 1

Finished up the fix today.  Reused the gasket and replaced the leaking bulkhead pass through seal.  Man, I hate working under the vehicle.  Didn't help that to refill the fluid was a total PIA.  Almost as bad as Ford KNOWING the seal is bad, but wont pay to have it fixed.

All in all, I was down about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart of fluid, so not bad, but I had a piece of cardboard under the tranny last night and it had a pretty good soaking of fluid.  Glad I did this now and didn't wait.

Quote"  "Almost as bad as Ford KNOWING the seal is bad, but wont pay to have it fixed."

Typical Ford decisions. Ford has been making decisions like that since back in the early 70's when they built the Death Trap Pinto that would explode into flames when hit from the rear because of fuel tank position. Then they at the same time knew they had a problem with the Parking Pawl that would hold the Ford vehicles in place when owner put them in park. That also began showing up in 1973 and between 1973 Ford automobiles and light trucks killed or injured over 500  people when the vehicles would fall out of park with no one in them and travel backwards or forwards till they hit something and was stopped. It became much more dangerous when folks would go out on a cold morning and start their vehicle and go back inside while it warmed up.

Then they just didn't roll away, they drove away. That is the kind of pick up truck that smashed me between it and a brick wall in 1978. It was a 1976 Ford F150 that was parked in a driveway above where I worked. By the time I was able to get back and able to file a law suit against Ford there was already a Class Action lawsuit filed by by a pack of lawyers and about 230 people who had loved ones hurt or killed by the vehicles of which about 35 of which were young children playing when their parents car would it them.

When the suit finally made it to the Supreme Court Ronald Reagan had just got elected, the economy was in a Carter Peanut farmer free fall and Reagan was trying to get a grip on it. When it reached the court Henry Ford III I think requested to address the court and they allowed it.

He made it as clear and simple as possible. He said " Ford Motor Company is prepared to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and close our doors and shut down all of our plants and lay off about 125,000 employees around the country before we will pay out almost a billion dollars to the plaintiffs in this case. The issue with our transmissions has been addressed and repairs made and it is no longer as issue. With the economy in a free fall and a new President trying to fix it can the country really afford to see another 125,000+ people go unemployed? The new parking Pawl cost exactly .09 cents more to manufacture than the one did that was killing and hurting people!!!

Where it normally cases the Supreme court will take a month to 6 months to render they rendered their decision in less than 3 hours and came back with a finding of case dismissed against Ford Motor Company on the conditions that if another case arrives in front of them pertaining to any vehicles made after 1980, at that time Ford motor Company would be held responsible for all previous cases. I guess that was like putting a person on Probation for life.

I was sure glad the guy had great insurance on his truck and since I was hurt while at work, Aetna was my employers Workmans Comp company paid all my medical bills and provided my family with income till I could return to work. They also gave me a cash settlement of 10% disability for life so I guess all in all I was lucky. I think many people would have got more had the Supreme courts not laid an egg and was chicken to run against Henry Ford III bluff. There was no way he would close down Ford Motor company over a billion dollar pay out since they could stretch the payments out by placing the money in a escrow account which would pay people a set amount for life or what ever. They paid out u into the Multi-millions on the Pinto cases and only one went to court and that young man did receive 4 million and that was when Ford began settling them out of court to keep i quiet.

No with that said , it is no better than what the automakers are doing to people today GM's ignition switch kiling and hurting people and them knowing it for years yet no recalls, Toyota's running away throttles killing and hurting people. Now the passenger air bags going off for no reason killing and hurting people the the Japanese denying it is their fault even though they built the damn things.

With all of this said, I really think the people in these cases deserved something for their pain and suffering much more than a woman getting 4 million for being stupid dumping hot coffee in her lap at Mc Donalds....................jmho 

Edited by bersaguy