Finally got around to setting up my plate carrier

Early this past summer a good friend bought a plate carrier and gifted it to me. It kinda got put on the back burner and then about 2 months ago I was going to order plates for it and I asked him where he'd gotten his from. This is when he told me that he'd be replacing his AR plates with something lighter in the next month or two and that his current plates were mine once his new ones came in. I figure I could be patient for that deal!
I got my sling, water and mag pouches attached and that's gonna be it. Steel plates are heavy enough without adding non essentials. I will say that I LOVE this carrier! The rig feels heavy when you pick it up but its spreads the weight out amazingly. I wore it for an hour or two while working around the house this evening and never felt my shoulders or anything else getting sore/pressure spots. I would definitely recommend this carrier.

FF1AF445-FC07-416C-B9FF-D94834EC6BCF.jpg

A9AB45A6-85BF-459F-9606-C217F1608CE2.jpg

0742E6C0-085F-4708-BDB1-86F18C87A7C2.jpg

Edited by Luke E.
  • Like 1

Looks good.  If I may, a couple small pieces of advice.  Single point slings when centered on the body can tend to cause the rifle to hit you in the man parts if you have to transition off of your long gun.  Is there a reason that you wen't feed lips up on the magazines.  Generally mag changes are a little bit faster the other way around. Lastly, I'm not sure how familiar you are with fighting and moving with gear on, but the tighter to the body the better it is.  I've met a lot of folks who left their carriers/IBA's/IOTV's loose for better airflow or comfort only to learn that pain the hard way, the moment they had to run in it.  Not trying to nit pick your setup, just some things to consider.  

Looks good. If I may, a couple small pieces of advice. Single point slings when centered on the body can tend to cause the rifle to hit you in the man parts if you have to transition off of your long gun. Is there a reason that you wen't feed lips up on the magazines. Generally mag changes are a little bit faster the other way around. Lastly, I'm not sure how familiar you are with fighting and moving with gear on, but the tighter to the body the better it is. I've met a lot of folks who left their carriers/IBA's/IOTV's loose for better airflow or comfort only to learn that pain the hard way, the moment they had to run in it. Not trying to nit pick your setup, just some things to consider.

I just stuck the mags in for the picture. They weren't loaded ones, just some that were laying in a box.
The sling is set to be off center to the right side. Had it centered in one before 😬
I've got it set up pretty tight but I agree. The heavier the plates and gear the more it bounces around if it's not tight.
This model has raised padding inside so even when it's tight air can get through.. Better than others I've had on anyways. Edited by Luke E.

c.a. has very good points (especially on the sling), and I'll just add a few more.

When you do have mags in there for real, loose the covers for them.  I never saw the point for those anyway and I'm glad they ship without them now.

If that is a mil issue hydration carrier, or one modeled after them (and it looks very much like it is) I wouldn't even bother with it.  They always spring a leak at a bad time and you have to ask, will you being doing anything so involved that you can't pull a Nalgene bottle out of your bag when you need some water.

Nice...where is your medical gonna be?

Haven't decided yet. I've got one waiting but not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Open to suggestions though. I have other mag pouches that are configures differently so I can move things around if needed.

c.a. has very good points (especially on the sling), and I'll just add a few more.

When you do have mags in there for real, loose the covers for them. I never saw the point for those anyway and I'm glad they ship without them now.

If that is a mil issue hydration carrier, or one modeled after them (and it looks very much like it is) I wouldn't even bother with it. They always spring a leak at a bad time and you have to ask, will you being doing anything so involved that you can't pull a Nalgene bottle out of your bag when you need some water.

The bungees over the mag definitely need to go. They are WAY to tight. Even the mag pouches themselves are to tight. I'm thinking the pouches will stretch out with use though. I do have others without bungees that aren't as tight that I can switch to if needed.
As for the bladder, it is a camal-bac bladder that I swapped out with the one that came in it. Is it better, worse or the same? idk we'll see I guess. I Have others with the same bladder and have had good luck so far.
A friend of mine puts on some matches that require full kit to run and also runs other scenarios on a 2,500 acre tract down around monteagle mtn. so I'll be staying with a bladder of some sort. If this one fails I'll try another I guess. What area of the bladder have you found prone to leaking? or is it just the general design?

The bungees over the mag definitely need to go. They are WAY to tight. Even the mag pouches themselves are to tight. I'm thinking the pouches will stretch out with use though. I do have others without bungees that aren't as tight that I can switch to if needed.
As for the bladder, it is a camal-bac bladder that I swapped out with the one that came in it. Is it better, worse or the same? idk we'll see I guess. I Have others with the same bladder and have had good luck so far.
A friend of mine puts on some matches that require full kit to run and also runs other scenarios on a 2,500 acre tract down around monteagle mtn. so I'll be staying with a bladder of some sort. If this one fails I'll try another I guess. What area of the bladder have you found prone to leaking? or is it just the general design?

Leave the mags in the pouches and they will stretch out, then you will need the bungees, which will also stretch out if you leave the mags in with them up.  If you do anything that has you running around, going prone, getting back up, you'll want the bungees to keep the mags in.  Drill unto muscle memory and they won't seem as much of an inconvenience to run a mag change.

Getting in and out and sitting in vehicles were the biggest issue with the Camelbak's, but I don't think you'll have that issue.  Really any bladder on the back like that is asking for it.  You'll brush up against things more than you realize if you are running around and it will spring a leak at the worst moment, because isn't that how it always goes?

Also, as far as I can tell, it's the over the shoulder kind of system, not designed for a plate carrier/vest.  That can causes problems if it comes loose at the wrong time.  Think through how you will refill it, re-do'ing your jury rigging each time.  Then, once you're running around and shooting, the straw is flapping around with you, dripping water sometimes...I just found it easier to ditch it once I wasn't in the military and required to have it on my kit by command guidance.

If you must have some kind of water source on there, consider one of those pouch designs that attaches via MOLLE/PALS but lets you take the bladder in and out easily and will stay on the back of the vest more easily.

Edited by btq96r

Leave the mags in the pouches and they will stretch out, then you will need the bungees, which will also stretch out if you leave the mags in with them up.  If you do anything that has you running around, going prone, getting back up, you'll want the bungees to keep the mags in.  Drill unto muscle memory and they won't seem as much of an inconvenience to run a mag change.

Getting in and out and sitting in vehicles were the biggest issue with the Camelbak's, but I don't think you'll have that issue.  Really any bladder on the back like that is asking for it.  You'll brush up against things more than you realize if you are running around and it will spring a leak at the worst moment, because isn't that how it always goes?

Also, as far as I can tell, it's the over the shoulder kind of system, not designed for a plate carrier/vest.  That can causes problems if it comes loose at the wrong time.  Think through how you will refill it, re-do'ing your jury rigging each time.  Then, once you're running around and shooting, the straw is flapping around with you, dripping water sometimes...I just found it easier to ditch it once I wasn't in the military and required to have it on my kit by command guidance.

If you must have some kind of water source on there, consider one of those pouch designs that attaches via MOLLE/PALS but lets you take the bladder in and out easily and will stay on the back of the vest more easily.

Other than some potential training that I am looking into, getting in and out of vehicles with it won't really be an issue. 

The reason I bout this one rather than using one of the ones that I already had was because I didn't really have to do any rigging to get it on there. You see correctly, it does have the shoulder straps but it also has a solid locking D-ring type clip on each corner that hook through the MOLLE nicely and won't be coming loose unless I mean for it to. It keeps it pretty tight up against the back of the carrier and once full of water it doesn't slide around at all. I will remove the shoulder straps but just haven't done it, I wanted to make sure it was going to work for this before I cut them off.

I see what you mean about getting up against things but worst case what am I out? A wet backside, a useless half pound empty bladder pac hanging on my back? I have thought through some of this but not as deeply as you are going so I appreciate the questions! I'm not planning on being in a situation that my life depends on the bladder not getting a leak so that's how I landed where I'm at with it. I'll post a pic of the attachment points for you. I looked around and it was the best setup I could find for what I was trying to do but if there is something better I'm not opposed to changing it up.

Other than some potential training that I am looking into, getting in and out of vehicles with it won't really be an issue. 

I've seen the D-ring things that are used for those.

FWIW, this is the style of hydration carrier I used in the Army.  taking the bladder in and out was a snap since I wasn't dealing with straps, buckles and what not.  Also, I could stuff the straw when I wanted to instead of having it dangling about.  There are plenty out there, every manufacturer probably has their own version.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-HCB.aspx

Edited by btq96r

I've seen the D-ring things that are used for those.

FWIW, this is the style of hydration carrier I used in the Army. taking the bladder in and out was a snap since I wasn't dealing with straps, buckles and what not. Also, I could stuff the straw when I wanted to instead of having it dangling about. There are plenty out there, every manufacturer probably has their own version.
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-HCB.aspx

Here's what I was talking about,

50247DAC-DD19-4349-B586-C2EB9992E7EF.jpg

I can take the bladder in and out without removing the pack but since I have the tube routed through the shoulder strap I would have to undo the velcro to completely seperate them. I haven't tried it with while wearing the carrier but I sould be able to grab the hose behind the Velcro it's under and pull which would get rid of any extra hose that might whip around. I'll have to try it though. I'm still thinking the benefits out weigh the negatives for what I'll be doing though.

The magazine covers are there for storage more than anything else. With most polymer magazines the lips spread if they are left loaded with the rounds pressing on the feed lips. The magazine covers push down on the rounds to take the pressure off the feed lips. But anything on your kit should be ready to go so ditch the covers on the magazines while they are on your kit. Maybe swap them out with other magazines from time to time and replace the covers to keep the lips from spreading. I am a huge fan of Magpul magazines but in my kit I have metal magazines so I do not need to worry about swapping out magazines.

As far as slings go I prefer a two point sling. Single points tend to flop around too much, especially when running. A two point sling will cause the weapon to snug up to your body when you transition.

I would also consider getting another holster and putting it on the carrier itself. Some carriers can interfere with drawing your sidearm.

Having a leaky bladder is never a good thing. In the winter it can make things very miserable. And even in the summer it can be a pain in the butt, literally. I know the times I had something leak it always made things itchy and sore if I could not change it immediately. I always had bottles of water handy so the bladder was a novelty most of the time. And considering you have to clean it regularly it was just too much of a pain to deal with.

I really like that carrier. What brand is it? I have several but always looking for something better.

The magazine covers are there for storage more than anything else. With most polymer magazines the lips spread if they are left loaded with the rounds pressing on the feed lips. The magazine covers push down on the rounds to take the pressure off the feed lips. But anything on your kit should be ready to go so ditch the covers on the magazines while they are on your kit. Maybe swap them out with other magazines from time to time and replace the covers to keep the lips from spreading. I am a huge fan of Magpul magazines but in my kit I have metal magazines so I do not need to worry about swapping out magazines.

As far as slings go I prefer a two point sling. Single points tend to flop around too much, especially when running. A two point sling will cause the weapon to snug up to your body when you transition.

I would also consider getting another holster and putting it on the carrier itself. Some carriers can interfere with drawing your sidearm.

Having a leaky bladder is never a good thing. In the winter it can make things very miserable. And even in the summer it can be a pain in the butt, literally. I know the times I had something leak it always made things itchy and sore if I could not change it immediately. I always had bottles of water handy so the bladder was a novelty most of the time. And considering you have to clean it regularly it was just too much of a pain to deal with.

I really like that carrier. What brand is it? I have several but always looking for something better.

I mentioned above but the mags were just some stuck in there just to be there to snap a pic. They were brand new so they still had the covers on them. I never use the covers once I remove them the first time but never thought about them holding pressure off of the feed lips either.
I didn't care for a single point sling when I bought my first one but have since learned to like them. They haven't been the best for all situations I've been in but neither has a two point.
I have a holster that I picked up to run on it but found that I can get to my thigh or waist holster just fine with this setup. I haven't written the idea off yet though because I've thought about just leaving a pistol on the rig just so everything is there. I figured I would run it next time I go to the range a figure out what works and what needs to be changed. I suppose I'll know for sure whether the holster is a must or just extra. I can see getting into a position that it would be awful handy to have though.
The carrier is a 5.11 TacTec here's the link on Midway,
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2053425345/511-tactec-plate-carrier-500d-nylon?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=39-15351769-2&ads=&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google

Their price is high though. I think my buddy only paid $75 for mine and his. Of course he got them at pretty close to dealer cost and 5.11 was running a huge dealer discount at the time so maybe the price is about right? Its the easiest to move and bend in that I've tried out so far which admittedly isn't but 5-6 different ones so take my opinion for what it's worth knowing that. If you were closer I'd be happy for you to try it out and see how you liked it.

Looks heavy.......of course that's just me thinking about how I would ever get my fat ass in there. LOL.

Looks great man. :up:

Lol it was only a couple of pounds until those still plates got slid in there. I haven't weighed it since then. Once I get everything settled how I want it I'll see where I end up. Might get me to trying to cut weight somewhere. I guess the biggest weight to be cut is getting away from the steel and into ceramic but I'd rather not have to tip toe around worrying about them.
Good to see you back around. Haven't seen you around much lately.
  • Like 1

Looks good! I have been wanting to get one myself but I keep finding other things to buy. I believe plate carriers are way down the list of things to possibly be banned so I have time haha.

If you were to want to use a 2 point sling could you? I guess you would just run it in a "neck loop" position rather than under your left or right arm.

Looks good! I have been wanting to get one myself but I keep finding other things to buy. I believe plate carriers are way down the list of things to possibly be banned so I have time haha.

If you were to want to use a 2 point sling could you? I guess you would just run it in a "neck loop" position rather than under your left or right arm.

Some places already have an armor ban and seeing as how mass shooters wear them regularly I wouldn't be to sure of them being to far down the list if the ban ball ever gets rolling good.
The sling that's on the carrier now is actually a single or dual point sling so it could go either way.

Some places already have an armor ban and seeing as how mass shooters wear them regularly I wouldn't be to sure of them being to far down the list if the ban ball ever gets rolling good.
The sling that's on the carrier now is actually a single or dual point sling so it could go either way.

Never thought about that. Well it just moved up a few notches. I'm taking care of my offense stuff first though. I guess they say the key to a good offense is a good defense though.

Any guess to what it weighs total after the plates?

Never thought about that. Well it just moved up a few notches. I'm taking care of my offense stuff first though. I guess they say the key to a good offense is a good defense though.

Any guess to what it weighs total after the plates?

The plates I think are 10lb each, the carrier is 2-2.5lbs I think so there's 22-22.5lb a loaded 30 Pmag weighs 1.1lb (depending on ammo)x3 is 3.3lb so we're at 25.3-25.7lb three 17rd 9mm mags? Let's say 1.5 so now we're at 26.7-27.2 so I gues 27lbs is a good guess. Of course if I put a gallon of water in the bladder that brings it up to around 34-35lbs
That may not be exactly right but should be close.

Not too bad at all. I'm with you and would just want to stick with steel. I'm not sure how fragile the ceramic is but I'm sure I'd break them if it can be done.

That's kinda my thought process as well. It sure seems appealing to drop half the weight going to ceramic though. There a company, can't think of their name, that makes plates that float. They're really lightweight and aren't ceramic but I can't remember what they're made of. Someone here prolly knows though. The goofy YouTube guy Nut-n-Fancy tested them and they were tuff but very very expensive if I remember correctly.

That's kinda my thought process as well. It sure seems appealing to drop half the weight going to ceramic though. There a company, can't think of their name, that makes plates that float. They're really lightweight and aren't ceramic but I can't remember what they're made of. Someone here prolly knows though. The goofy YouTube guy Nut-n-Fancy tested them and they were tuff but very very expensive if I remember correctly.

DKX, they're made of Dyneema. Watched that very same review. If nothing else, Nutn always has one thing that is pretty fregin cool pop up from time to time. Gotta get me some of that AND justify the cost. Wanna save the weight, you're gonna pay for it. 

Haven't decided yet. I've got one waiting but not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Open to suggestions though. I have other mag pouches that are configures differently so I can move things around if needed.

I have considered an SOE LPAK. Would mount on the back of the carrier instead of on the front/sides where space always seems to be at a premium...

http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/lpak-low-profile-aid-kit