Pit bull kills owner

Ron_TN

I've noticed it never seems to be a Brittany, or a Lab, etc. that kills.  Maybe only Pit Bulls make the news? 

An elderly lady in the area was killed by her PB a few years ago, and partially eaten.  Dog must have not liked its kibble.

I've noticed it never seems to be a Brittany, or a Lab, etc. that kills.  Maybe only Pit Bulls make the news? 

An elderly lady in the area was killed by her PB a few years ago, and partially eaten.  Dog must have not liked its kibble.

I think it has a lot to do with the demographic of the owners.  Your "less responsible" dog owners don't own Britanys and labs. 

• Like 1

During my career, I've dealt with many dog vs people attacks.  99% have been Pits.

One, a family pet, attacked a 3 year old...she lived but needed 116 stitches to her face and head.

Another, severed a lady's Achillies tendon while she was walking her dog.

Yes, I've had to shoot a couple.  They are bullet sponges and are not impressed by the .40cal.

I love dogs (my Avatar is one of mine...I was holding the Holy Tennis Ball when I snapped the shot), but there are two breeds that I'm always leary of...Pits and Chows.

Pit lovers will say it's their upbringing.  I don't know...they seem to have this switch and you never know when it's going to be flipped.

My Weimaraners absolutely love kids and I wouldn't hesitate to leave them alone with a child.  The only bad thing that would happen would be "kissy slobber."

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 5

I've never had a pit and never will. I'm not sold either way.  I do have to give some thought to TN-POPO's statement about pits and chows being the vast majority of what he has had to deal with, I'm not qualified to say but maybe that unpredictability/aggressive tendency is just in their blood?  How many times have we heard about a pit that was absolutely sweet mauling a child?  It happens, and not just with pits. 

Another thing to consider here, although this topic has not taken this direction yet.  Some jurisdictions have banned certain breeds.  I have a hard time supporting this because it's a slippery slope that has no end until all dogs are banned.  I think that the answer here is responsible pet ownership.  I have no objection if my neighbor wants to own a rabid pitbull with AIDS, so long as he keeps it in his yard and away from my kid, which seems to be a lot to ask these days.  

Of all things I have a feist that I can not trust around my 5 year old.  It's never been a problem I just never have them in the same area alone. 

A specific dog can run totally counter to this, but I do think that in general some breeds are simply more aggressive than others. If I have to be left alone in a room with 100 hungry pit bulls or 100 hungry golden retrievers, I know which one I'm picking. It's not just pits and chows though. Some of the meanest most aggressive dogs I've ever encountered were Chihuahas, but one of those is almost certainly not going to kill me.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

here are two breeds that I'm always leary of...Pits and Chows.

Chows are some innately flaky animals.  Fatal Attraction, ice-pick under the pillow, kind of dogs.  I've known several people who owned them and to a one each of those dogs was batshit bipolar and you never knew "which dog" was going to be at the end of your arm when you went to pet them.

• Like 5

I think it has a lot to do with the demographic of the owners.  Your "less responsible" dog owners don't own Britanys and labs. 

Demographics......................and intelligence!

I had nothing but Rottweilers for 28 years. That's obedience-trained Rottweilers and I experienced no over aggression with any of them. They were very good with Kids, and for the over-whelming majority of the time with other animals. But all that "success" required early-on training and conditioning. Did I have to hit them, beat them, treat them rough? Hell no! Rottys will remember abuse. Just instruct with praise when they do something right and quick correction and the occasional shout if they were doing something wrong.  And be consistent.  No means NO. All the time! A lesson for many parents as well!

Part of the reason for sticking with Rottys was the rock solid temperment. I could trust the ones I raised 100%. The one I got at 4 yrs-old not so much. She was a good dog but I'd look into those eyes and not always know what she was thinking. Would I leave any of them with a small child or baby. Again, hell no! A small child or baby does not need to be left unattended at any time IMHO.

• Like 2

During my career, I've dealt with many dog vs people attacks.  99% have been Pits.

One, a family pet, attacked a 3 year old...she lived but needed 116 stitches to her face and head.

Another, severed a ladies Achillies tendon while she was walking her dog.

Yes, I've had to shoot a couple.  They are bullet sponges and are not impressed by the .40cal.

I love dogs (my Avatar is one of mine...I was holding the Holy Tennis Ball when I snapped the shot), but there are two breeds that I'm always leary of...Pits and Chows.

Pit lovers will say it's their upbringing.  I don't know...they seem to have this switch and you never know when it's going to be flipped.

My Weimaraners absolutely love kids and I wouldn't hesitate to leave them alone with a child.  The only bad thing that would happen would be "kissy slobber."

Good post and I agree. I do have to ask though, would you even leave small kids alone in the room with your dogs? Like I said, my 2 dogs are awesome and have never shown aggression but I still wouldn't leave my toddler alone in the room. There have been too many cases where the family dogs have "snapped" and mauled kids. This covers all breeds.

• Like 1

I think most folks that own Pit Bulls don't ever consider what they were originally bred for and that was to fight to the death in a pit for competition and gambling. Those Pit Bulls from back in the beginning are the same blood lines that about 99.9% of them at some level still have. Yea, you may have a Pit that is 25th+ generation from their beginning but somewhere deep in that dog is it's true breeding and you never know when or if it might show up. The other dog folks have failed to mention is the Doberman. It is another dog that was cross bred by the Germans back in the early days to be a mean vicious dog used by military for tracking and guard use. They are also a dog that was bred for a specific reason and they cannot be trusted. The Germans did this because they could not get this type of reaction out of the German Shepherds they had hope to achieve. It was a lot more difficult to make the Shepherds to be as aggressive as they wanted thus came the Doberman..............jmho   More and more these days your finding law enforcement beginning to use large generalized mutts for training and having great success with them.

Good post and I agree. I do have to ask though, would you even leave small kids alone in the room with your dogs? Like I said, my 2 dogs are awesome and have never shown aggression but I still wouldn't leave my toddler alone in the room. There have been too many cases where the family dogs have "snapped" and mauled kids. This covers all breeds.

I would never leave a toddler or even little older child alone with a big dog. If anyone has ever really paid attention while in the room and seen a toddler try and play with a dog, the child treats it like any other toy, pulls it's tail. pulls on its ears, pokes it in it's eyes or tries to. Most parents think it's cute that the dog is laying with the child but don't realize the dog may not appreciate all that the child is innocently doing. They don't realize the dog is not a toy. And most of al and  don't care if it is a child or an adult. No dog big or small, full blooded or mutt like you to put your face down close to theirs and stare at them. I am not sure why but I think at that point any dog either feels threatened or challenged and will in most case snap at your face. I'm sure this may have happened to folks here. I know when I was younger it happened to me a couple times but when the dog growled I backed away..........jmho

I think most folks that own Pit Bulls don't ever consider what they were originally bred for and that was to fight to the death in a pit for competition and gambling. Those Pit Bulls from back in the beginning are the same blood lines that about 99.9% of them at some level still have. Yea, you may have a Pit that is 25th+ generation from their beginning but somewhere deep in that dog is it's true breeding and you never know when or if it might show up. The other dog folks have failed to mention is the Doberman. It is another dog that was cross bred by the Germans back in the early days to be a mean vicious dog used by military for tracking and guard use. They are also a dog that was bred for a specific reason and they cannot be trusted. The Germans did this because they could not get this type of reaction out of the German Shepherds they had hope to achieve. It was a lot more difficult to make the Shepherds to be as aggressive as they wanted thus came the Doberman..............jmho   More and more these days your finding law enforcement beginning to use large generalized mutts for training and having great success with them.

You should do a little research on the origins of the Doberman. Your version simply is not true. The very name Doberman is a reference to the tax collector that "created" the breed.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
  • Like 3

Another, severed a ladies Achillies tendon while she was walking her dog.

I read a study about a month ago that compared reported dog attacks by breed and the pit bull had far more reported attacks than any other breed. Of course few Chihuahua attacks would results in a report, so there's going to be some skewing of statistics. But most big dogs could give a grown man a good fight. 

I hate Chows the most though. I was attacked by one when I was seven and required a couple of weeks of recuperation. One of my friends in high school had a chow and it bit through his mother's hand while she was giving him food. Like David said, they are crazy!

My statement was somewhat tongue-in-cheek to make a point.  I don't have kids.

To answer your question, no.

I'm always around when the neighborhood kids want to play with the Sesame Street Dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgQNx_aRZgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N967CDqmxiE

Edited by TN-popo

You should do a little research on the origins of the Doberman. Your version simply is not true. The very name Doberman is a reference to the tax collector that "created" the breed.

In Apolda Germany, in the 1800's a man named Louis Doberman needed a
courageous, guard dog with strong mouth, good nose and one who would be
protective.  Herr Doberman had various jobs, which required protection.  It
has never been proven just what he did, but some have said he was a tax
collector, while others maintained he was a night watchman.  For whatever
reason he succeeded in fixing the guarding character in the dog he created,
but was not really interested in the conformation aspects of that
dog.  
While crossing many breeds to obtain what he wanted, he did not keep records of these crosses, so we have to rely on others who knew him to supply us with some of his efforts.   According to his son, Herr Doberman owned a black bitch called Bissart who had tan markings and a gray undercoat.  One interesting thing about Bissart was her naturally short tail and a short coat.  He tried to produce a naturally short tail by
selective breeding but was unsuccessful.  We do know that some of the breeds that were used were a gray Pinscher, a black and tan butchers dog and a local sheep dog type.  After his death in 1894, the Germans named the
breed Doberman-pinscher in his honor, but a half-century later they dropped the pinscher because it was a German word for Terrier and was no longer appropriate.  The Germans goal was to develop a dog capable of the ultimate in protection and companionship.  They selected the bravest, toughest and
most loyal.  These headstrong dogs were known as "Doberman's dogs" or "Thuringia Pinschers," and were sharp, aggressive with other dogs, of medium size, with a body that is compactly built, muscular, and distrustful of strangers.

First let me preface this that I had a very frightening experience with some dobermans when I was like 5.  Some 40+ years later, I still dislike any aggressive dogs, but I mostly dislike dobermans, chows, and most of all pittbulls!  Not too many pitts in my area, especially the ones that I find on the loose! 

• Administrator

I can't help but laugh at the Doberman characterizations.  I guess maybe pitbull owners feel the same way, but my experience with the breed has been anything but what Hollywood paints them as.  I'm sure you can train them to be vicious guard dogs by abusing them and keeping them away from any sort of friendly human contact, but the breed has the sinister nickname "Velcro Dogs" because they tend to be very clingy and needy of affection.  The one that presently shares our house with us is most happy when he's laying on the floor and has a drooling toddler crawling all over him, using his ears as reins and his snout as something to smack and slap with five fat little fingers.

He wouldn't know how to bite you if you showed him.

• Like 6

From personal experience, I was like five years old, and was visiting family.  I was clearly told whatever I do, do not run from the doberman dogs.  When I got out of the car with my mother, and we had some distance to walk from the driveway to where our family was standing outside, I heard dogs barking, and the dogs were running in my direction.  What do I do, I panic and run.  These adult dogs were in full sprint barking very loudly and I kept running and running, and they treed me on top of a truck cab.  These dogs were (no joke) within a few feet of me, and it was very traumatic to me