Pit bull kills owner

Ron_TN

I'm a big fan of the GSD. They make great working dogs and family members. I don't like small kids around large dogs unattended. When it comes to an animals prey drive, it's something that's under control until it isn't. I fall into the camp that believes that there are more bad owners than bad dogs.
  • Like 5
Very interesting discussion. I've only been "attacked" (meaning he charged me with the intention of doing me harm) once and if I had not had the truck to retreat to I know it would have hurt me and it was a rottweiler. That said, I'm too old to try and run from any dog anymore and if one charges me with bare teeth and there is no owner to control it I'll put it down. Now I'm not just gonna kill a dog for "doing it's natural thing" my first shot will be a scare shot, as in I fugure the noise might scare it away. But if I have to (and I mean the choice between me or them) I'm taking that shot.
  • Like 1
When I moved here a neighbor had a gsd that was the funniest dog I've ever seen. The dog lived to chase (and I mean anything), you could throw a ball, rock, balled up paper. He just didn't care what it was. I took a rock, put an x on it and threw it in the woods (and I threw it hard). 15 min later taz was sitting at my feet with that dumb rock with a look on his face like again again. I threw a 1/2 filled coke bottle just to see if he would go get it. That dog went and got that coke bottle brought it back and sat right in front of me and took the lid off with his teeth and drank it. I wished I had a video camera but back then cell phones made phone calls only.
Guys, if it has teeth, it can bite.

That said, probabilities are much higher with some than others. I prefer German breeds, and have had boxers since I was 9 years old. These dogs were bred for vicious, unrelenting cruelty. They are now some of the most gentle animals alive. I have a 8.5 year old male and a 1.5 year old female. The male was intensely trained from the time he was young, achieving a Shutzhund level 3. The female is going through much less "intense" training as obedience only (and has attended AKC incremental training for a year now). My 5 year old sleeps with them on her bed. They are intensely loyal to my family, and I do not think twice to leave my kids alone with them. Edited by Good_Steward

It's scientific and stuff. :)  Amygdala... clicker....  Canine sensory intake is loaded differently than ours.  They also seem more tied to amygdala-based relationship. - again with the clicker.   ... but really, I just know what I've experienced.  

1) Kids (and other less-than-aware humans) are vulnerable to attacks, and

2) dogs aren't humans.

I was bitten as a kid.  That moment of the bite is the only memory I have of that dog.  That angry face after the bite is the only way I have to remember it... it came off as a nasty little insecure schnauzer. - all I wanted to do was pet it.  It probably thought similar things of me.  ... different value sets.  It's a bummer for that dog which couldn't see the bigger picture.  I may have been "nasty" in its eyes, and I may have even been insecure,... but biting me was, in no way, in that dog's best interest.  Dogs (and some humans) can have a problem properly evaluating that equation.

The one person that I have known who knew more about canine biology, anatomy, and sociology than most ever will, didn't own a dog and certainly wouldn't have left one alone with a kid.  Personally, I would never leave any human with questionable alpha status alone with more than one dog.

Our pup just turned 12.  Our kids are 7, and she is their "lifetime dog" so far.  Even though she is high strung, she is a champion family dog in my book.  She wouldn't hurt them to save her own life, but I also know that she has different programming than I do, so I give her the benefit of a loving doubt.  We raised her to be around kids, and we raised our kids to be "dog smart" - even with our sweet girl.

I may be proven wrong about Pitbulls at some point, but I wouldn't trust one.  Not for one Planck.  It is not the breed's fault.  As far as my pee brain can comprehend, the pitbull breed does not have the genetic tools to predictably produce trustworthy pups.  They were not bred to be trustworthy companions.  They were bred to fight.  That's the hard truth.

Edited by Peace

I would like to add to my post.  My dad who was in his time the town dog whisper.  He told us if a family wants a dog in the family for a child ,....that they first have the child..... then bring the dog in.  It makes for a better bond.  " we never had pit bulls "..  Labs are our family choice.

My female is the exact same way. Hell, she is deathly afraid of a baby gate we have because if fell over once and made a loud noise.

Bandit won't go in the kitchen when the dishwasher is open anymore. She was helping the wife do the dishes one night. While the wife's back was turned Bandit started licking a plate, when the wife turned around, Bandit went to move away, so as not to get in trouble, but her collar caught the edge of the trolley. She wound up pulling it all the way out of the dishwasher and halfway through the living room. I thought the house was caving in. Ever since that day, Bandit WILL NOT go near the dishwasher if it is open. I think we only lost one plate, maybe two. 

I've noticed it never seems to be a Brittany, or a Lab, etc. that kills.  Maybe only Pit Bulls make the news? 

Pits Bulls are the Glocks of the Dog world.  When you heard dog attacked, the media has brainwashed people so much that people immediately think pit bull.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 5

Dick_zpsfd8ce682.png

These are my killers in their natural environment.

I had to put the one on the left, Maggie, to sleep a couple of weeks ago.

My father died last year and I didn't shed a tear.  I can't say that about Maggie...

My male, in the center, is a loveable dick.  If you happen to be on "his" couch, you're getting laid on.  The girls, and me, just accept it.  You can tell how thrilled Maggie is about it, though.

BTW, you can't see it in the pic, but there is plenty of couch space for him to lay by himself.

He does this in the bed too.  I end up fighting for blanket with an 80lb Weim...

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 6

After ready this, I put Google search to work to see if a Redbone Coonhound has ever gone on record for killing someone. Well, I still feel safe alone with him :lol:

Took a long time for a hound to even make an appearance in this thread.

• Like 1

Dick_zpsfd8ce682.png

My father died last year and I didn't shed a tear.  I can't say that about Maggie...

My male, in the center, is a loveable dick.  If you happen to be on "his" couch, you're getting laid on.  The girls, and me, just accept it.  You can tell how thrilled Maggie is about it, though.

I just have one Weimi.  I can just imagine what it is like with 3.

Sorry for you loss as well.  Mine turns 11 this March so I know the time is coming in the next couple of years.  It's always tough.

• Like 1
I've been around PBs, including my own, that I'd bet my life would never bite a human that didn't deserve it. However, I've heard too many "the dog just snapped" stories not think there's something to it. I still think it's got more to do with nurture than nature, though.

If there was any generalization about a breed of dog that I DO agree with it's this one...

If a Chihuaha weighed 100 pounds, you wouldn't be able to leave your house. They'd terrorize the country.

I've never met one I liked and I've net met one that liked anyone but his owner.

My mother-in-law moved in with us a few months ago. She brought one of these foul beasts with her. That little evil dog snarls, barks, and growls every time I walk into or leave the room. I, for one, will NOT be growled at by a dog in my own house. So, when I enter the living room and that dog growls, I will walk directly over to her, pick her up from my mother-in-law's lap and tell her no. I flip her over, forcing her belly up, and pet her belly. I guess I exude alpha hormones or something, because she ceases growling when I get within a few feet. Yet, no matter how many times I do this and/or bring her a treat and/or ignore her...this little dog just won't stop. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

I saved that pic - it may show up on one of my computers as wallpaper if you don't mind.
  • Like 1
I had a Chihuahua dashund mix growing up, I was the only one that could touch him. I joinedcthe air force and the dog took up with my dad, saw him years later and the dog triedcto take my arm off. Can't stand them little dogs.

I don't own a dog, not because I don't like them, I'm too lazy to dig and put an invisible fence and can't stand having one in a cage or little pen, and I refuse to let one run loose.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

I've been around enough mean-spirited Chihuahuas in my life to be reasonably sure that the Spanish used to deploy them in packs of 12 to 24 as weapons, hurled across the top of castle walls via trebuchet.  Like little needle-toothedcluster bombs.

• Like 7

I've been around enough mean-spirited Chihuahuas in my life to be reasonably sure that the Spanish used to deploy them in packs of 12 to 24 as weapons, hurled across the top of castle walls via trebuchet.  Like little needle-toothed cluster bombs.

Too funny.   The cluster bomb comment made me think of the PSP commercial from several years ago...

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grc4maCVZXU[/media]

I just have one Weimi.  I can just imagine what it is like with 3.

They're like a pack of Velociraptors.

Not mean...but they'll sit and watch you, figure stuff out, egg each other on, and then gang up on you to get what they want.

They're 14 now, so Daddy usually caves.

One likes to chew on the occasional ice cube.  Well, after watching me get ice from the fridge a time or two, she figured it out.

That's fine, except for the 4 other cubes she leaves on the kitchen floor (the PrimaDonna only wants one).

BTW, you have a great looking Blue.

Edited by TN-popo