Pit bull kills owner

Ron_TN

A good friend of mine in Huntsville has a group that are basically "save the breed" types and they try to take in dogs that are either not fit to be around people or the ones that have been jacked up for fighting etc...its sad to see some of the stuff he stumbles upon.

This is why I hope Michael Vick was anally violated while in prison...repeatedly.

When I worked for Metro Nashville PD, hoodrats would fight dogs.  The losers would be left and usually died, but not always.

If they recovered, they roamed the streets.  Sometimes it ended in tragedy.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

Newsflash!

Add Pomeranians to the killer list.  We had one bite a 67 year old lady today.

I grew up with Labs (and both were great dogs), but the three breeds I would own today are Weimaraners (obviously), Dobermans, and Great Danes.

For some reason, I just love these breeds.

great danes are THE biggest babys in the world 

• Like 1
Dogs attack joggers and kids/adults on bikes/motorcycles all the time. Even if they don’t bite; the people can be hurt trying to get away. Allowing dogs to run loose should be a criminal violation. It’s pretty easy to get a civil judgment from them, but most of the people that are that irresponsible don’t have anything to get.
  • Like 1
Been following this thread and biting my tongue about some of the very ignorant comments about pit bulls, but at this point I guess I'll just throw this out there: most of you are acting like a bunch of liberal sissies that take what the media throws out there and it's suddenly the truth.
Hypocrites.
Dogs are animals. Some are more aggressive than others. Training goes a long way in their tendencies but it can't eliminate all bad behavior. There are probably as many responsible pit bull owners in this country as there are responsible gun owners. Accidents still happen to those responsible owners (both sets of them).
You want to legislate my pit bull away from me? You can have her when you're heading over to pick up my firearms too. None of my family is leaving with any badge because you folks don't feel like I'm a responsible owner.
You still want to say that we need breed legislation? I say we need procreation legislation, suddenly I don't think that some of your kids are safe to be in society because I heard on the news that Little Johnny mooned a shop owner on Main St. Where's the slippery slope end folks?
I'd challenge all of you who don't like pit bulls for whatever reason to go volunteer at a shelter and get to know a few. You might just be surprised at how good the majority of them are.
As far as the comment about them being gassed away, may God have mercy on your heart, Sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

Been following this thread and biting my tongue about some of the very ignorant comments about pit bulls, but at this point I guess I'll just throw this out there: most of you are acting like a bunch of liberal sissies that take what the media throws out there and it's suddenly the truth.
Hypocrites.
Dogs are animals. Some are more aggressive than others. Training goes a long way in their tendencies but it can't eliminate all bad behavior. There are probably as many responsible pit bull owners in this country as there are responsible gun owners. Accidents still happen to those responsible owners (both sets of them).
You want to legislate my pit bull away from me? You can have her when you're heading over to pick up my firearms too. None of my family is leaving with any badge because you folks don't feel like I'm a responsible owner.
You still want to say that we need breed legislation? I say we need procreation legislation, suddenly I don't think that some of your kids are safe to be in society because I heard on the news that Little Johnny mooned a shop owner on Main St. Where's the slippery slope end folks?
I'd challenge all of you who don't like pit bulls for whatever reason to go volunteer at a shelter and get to know a few. You might just be surprised at how good the majority of them are.
As far as the comment about them being gassed away, may God have mercy on your heart, Sir.

Every pit bull I've ever spent time with has been nothing but loving to me. All were great dogs so I understand why owners defend them.

However, we cannot ignore the facts. I do believe that there is something about the breed that makes them inherently more aggressive than other breeds. 

Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982

http://time.com/2891180/kfc-and-the-pit-bull-attack-of-a-little-girl/

• Like 1

Dogs attack joggers and kids/adults on bikes/motorcycles all the time. Even if they don’t bite; the people can be hurt trying to get away. Allowing dogs to run loose should be a criminal violation. It’s pretty easy to get a civil judgment from them, but most of the people that are that irresponsible don’t have anything to get.

I think we've had this disucssion before. We don't all live in an apartment or subdivision. While allowing dogs to run loose where you live may be inappropriate, that doens't mean it is the case everywhere.

• Like 1

"However, we cannot ignore the facts. I do believe that there is something about the breed that makes them inherently more aggressive than other breeds."

I never said they weren't a aggressive, they were intended to be an aggressive breed when original bred. It's unfortunate.

What I'd call for is something that's all too uncommon these days. Use common sense when choosing a pet. A pit bull might not be for you or your family. I'm not advocating that there should be one in every home. Just like I don't think there should be a firearm in every home. Not everyone can be a responsible owner. Today's society has proven that we have a population who, in large part, have to be told what they can and can't have.

Don't leave my 18 month old unattended on the floor in a room alone with my pet dog? Oh, the horror of having to figure that out without somebody telling me.

Have a loaded firearm in an accessible location in a room full of kids that's unattended? Why should somebody have to tell you to lock your guns up from curious minds?

Leave your 2 year old wandering around on the deck right next to the uncovered pool while you run inside to answer the ringing phone? Why do people really need to be reminded of these dangers?

Society today is too dependent on other people telling/reminding/legislating safety into their lives. Use your brain folks, that's all I'm trying to get across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Tedro2022
  • Like 3

I never said they weren't a aggressive, they were intended to be an aggressive breed when original bred. It's unfortunate.

What I'd call for is something that's all too uncommon these days. Use common sense when choosing a pet. A pit bull might not be for you or your family. I'm not advocating that there should be one in every home. Just like I don't think there should be a firearm in every home. Not everyone can be a responsible owner. Today's society has proven that we have a population who, in large part, have to be told what they can and can't have.

Don't leave my 18 month old unattended on the floor in a room alone with my pet dog? Oh, the horror of having to figure that out without somebody telling me.

Have a loaded firearm in an accessible location in a room full of kids that's unattended? Why should somebody have to tell you to lock your guns up from curious minds?

Leave your 2 year old wandering around on the deck right next to the uncovered pool while you run inside to answer the ringing phone? Why do people really need to be reminded of these dangers?

Society today is too dependent on other people telling/reminding/legislating safety into their lives. Use your brain folks, that's all I'm trying to get across.

I completely agree. Which is why I said earlier that I wouldn't leave a toddler alone with ANY big dog. 

Its not a dog issue. Its a Darwins Law issue. As a gene pool we are getting dumber by the year. No you dont leave your child unattended with a dog, gun or by a pool. Nor do you drink Clorox, but for some reason we put that warning label on there. At the end of the day we need to have more common sense, but we all know, common sense is not that common.
  • Like 1

Its not a dog issue. Its a Darwins Law issue. As a gene pool we are getting dumber by the year. No you dont leave your child unattended with a dog, gun or by a pool. Nor do you drink Clorox, but for some reason we put that warning label on there. At the end of the day we need to have more common sense, but we all know, common sense is not that common.

So you're saying we need warning labels on dogs? :ugh:

Im saying people need to use this lost concept of common sense. Educate themselves for the good of their family and community as a whole. More importantly, we need to start holding some people accountable for there actions.
  • Like 2

I've been around enough mean-spirited Chihuahuas in my life to be reasonably sure that the Spanish used to deploy them in packs of 12 to 24 as weapons, hurled across the top of castle walls via trebuchet.  Like little needle-toothedcluster bombs.

Aztec royalty kept them as honored pets and the lower classes ate them, as had the Toltecs before them, apparently the reason they were widely bred in the first place.

And poor indios in Mexico were still eating them in the 60's, and I can personally attest that they are quite tasty, and perhaps the best use for the neurotic little buggers period. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Aztec royalty kept them as honored pets and the lower classes ate them, as had the Toltecs before them, apparently the reason they were widely bred in the first place.

And poor indios in Mexico were still eating them in the 60's, and I can personally attest that they are quite tasty, and perhaps the best use for the neurotic little buggers period. ;)

- OS

I wouldn't expect for one to have much meat on it. 'Bout like a squirrel?

I wouldn't expect for one to have much meat on it. 'Bout like a squirrel?

Well, a giant squirrel. :)

Don't have to put much effort into them, pretty much full grown not long after they're weaned. Compare to Asian countries where they feed larger dogs longer to get more meat.

Just a matter of comparative return on investment.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, a giant squirrel. :)

Don't have to put much effort into them, pretty much full grown not long after they're weaned. Compare to Asian countries where they feed larger dogs longer to get more meat.

Just a matter of comparative return on investment.

- OS

And somewhere right now there is a child crying because of this... ;)

I think it has a lot to do with the demographic of the owners.  Your "less responsible" dog owners don't own Britanys and labs. 

I suspect it also has a lot to do with the same phenomenon that causes every rifle in any media story about a crime, whether it be a Ruger 10/22 or a lever action 30-30, to miraculously transform into an AK-47 or an AR15.  The same phenomenon that causes any handgun used in a crime to be transformed in the media to something like a Glock 40 caliber fully automatic revolver.  Just because some uninformed (nice way of saying dumbass) reporter says the dog was a pit bull or (even better) a 'pit bull mix' doesn't mean he or she actually knows what the hell they are talking about.

I am not saying that pit bulls don't attack people.  They probably do.  It is even possible that they do so more often than other breeds.  I don't own a pit so I don't know.  What I do know is how the media often completely screws up the type of gun used in a crime because, "AK47" sounds more sensational than "hunting rifle" so I would not be surprised to find that they throw out 'pit bull' just as often because it sounds more sensational than "Labrador/coon hound mix."

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2